The sales pitch is on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I heard it’s going to take a year or two but sundays is coming because we are getting sure post back and only way to get t back is going Sunday’s. Ask your self, why they haven’t said one thing on the schedule for 22.4s.
We have always had SurePost, but continue to take it to the Post Office buy choice.

See, what is really happening is what I predicted for years and years.
SurePost or whatever they called it in the beginning (drawing a blank), was designed to keep us from driving 8 miles down Nine Mile Rd, for a $3 package, when the mailman was going there anyway.
It was a symbiotic relationship that made sense in a rural setting.

UPS, in their typical knee jerk, exploit it to the fullest in every way fashion, let SurePost evolve into what it is today, a short term, profit driven, cost cutting initiative, designed to satisfy the instant gratification mindset of the New York Stock Exchange.

Anybody who remembers or cares to go back in the archives of this site, knows I have deemed this initiative as "short sighted".

We all know UPS caters to commercial stops over residential, and for good reason, up until now.
Commercial stops tend to receive multiple pieces, with each piece after the first exponentially more profitable than the first, the first absorbing much of the cost for the service.
Residential stops tended to be single parcel deliveries historically, but not anymore.
We all know the house that used to get 1 or two packages a week, now get 2 or 3 a day.....and that trend will do nothing but grow in the residential market going forward.

It has always been my contention that this was a gross over site by UPS, who had they embraced those packages at a smaller margin from the beginning, could have grown their infrastructure and staffing to absorb the huge ebs and flows that plague our system now, positioning us for tomorrow, while eliminating competitors.

Instead we are now chasing market share, instead of dominating it.
You need to look no further than to Amazon's business model to validate my assertion.

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
We have better language and no national and local language in our book. And we got 30 whole 22.3 jobs last contract. We get 1000 per full-time years when we retire if our pension fund is ok. Many more perks

What! Do you really get 1000 per X (30) service years = 30,000 a month? Typo clearly, if not can I join your local.

We have always had SurePost, but continue to take it to the Post Office buy choice.

See, what is really happening is what I predicted for years and years.
SurePost or whatever they called it in the beginning (drawing a blank), was designed to keep us from driving 8 miles down Nine Mile Rd, for a $3 package, when the mailman was going there anyway.
It was a symbiotic relationship that made sense in a rural setting.

UPS, in their typical knee jerk, exploit it to the fullest in every way fashion, let SurePost evolve into what it is today, a short term, profit driven, cost cutting initiative, designed to satisfy the instant gratification mindset of the New York Stock Exchange.

Anybody who remembers or cares to go back in the archives of this site, knows I have deemed this initiative as "short sighted".

We all know UPS caters to commercial stops over residential, and for good reason, up until now.
Commercial stops tend to receive multiple pieces, with each piece after the first exponentially more profitable than the first, the first absorbing much of the cost for the service.
Residential stops tended to be single parcel deliveries historically, but not anymore.
We all know the house that used to get 1 or two packages a week, now get 2 or 3 a day.....and that trend will do nothing but grow in the residential market.

It has always been my contention that this was a gross over site by UPS, who had they embraced those packages at a smaller margin from the beginning, could have grown their infrastructure and staffing to absorb the huge ebs and flows that plague our system now, positioning us for tomorrow, while eliminating competitors.

Instead we are now chasing market share, instead of dominating it.
I get more packages for some of my home stops, than I do for my commercial bulk stops.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
It's funny you say that.

I sent @cheryl a PM.... specifically asking.... if I could "announce" that.

A weekly YouTube live chat, would be cool and informational.

She politely explained, it was a violation of the TOS.

But, I could contact and inform BrownCafe members through PM's.

One step ahead of you. ;)

-Bug-

Please add me to pm list sir!

Undertow

Surepost to me is the only way to even the package flow out enough to make Weekends work.
I've wondered the same thing after seeing after witnessing the results of the Saturday operation rollout. When the stop density just isn't there, management just adds more areas to the routes and guys are out there until 10pm which really isn't an ideal or sustainable situation. They might view that Surepost as a possible way to help condense things enough to achieve a better margin. They sure need to do something right pretty soon after the ever continuous botched rollouts in their quests to "ward off competition".

PT Car Washer

I've wondered the same thing after seeing after witnessing the results of the Saturday operation rollout. When the stop density just isn't there, management just adds more areas to the routes and guys are out there until 10pm which really isn't an ideal or sustainable situation. They might view that Surepost as a possible way to help condense things enough to achieve a better margin. They sure need to do something right pretty soon after the ever continuous botched rollouts in their quests to "ward off competition".
And ever since UPS has reduced the percentage of stops to be delivered on Saturday the areas have grown larger and the number of drivers have been reduced. Less stop count density. More miles and more hours. Most of today's seniority drivers would have quit if faced with the same situation as today's drivers. All for $17/hr less.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Then why do you keep asking for pictures of my nipples?
Because they are horrible looking.
when-top-surgery-goes-wrong.jpg

JustDeliverIt

And ever since UPS has reduced the percentage of stops to be delivered on Saturday the areas have grown larger and the number of drivers have been reduced. Less stop count density. More miles and more hours. Most of today's seniority drivers would have quit if faced with the same situation as today's drivers. All for $17/hr less.

This new Saturday setup is ridiculous!! I went out today and did 153 stops in 126 miles in suburbia. I was doing a 160 in 90 miles a month ago punching out at 6/6:30. Today was after 9, and I wasn't the last guy back.

MAKAVELI

Don’t think your cut out to be an UPS man

Stay in your little van and keep slingin envelopes
What makes you think that? You realize many FedEx locations load and unload trucks then run a full route? That's exactly what these hybrid drivers will be doing. I could hang on any UPS route that's not the issue. I just never wanted to start part time waiting for a full-time spot to open up.