The sales pitch is on.

Undertow

This new Saturday setup is ridiculous!! I went out today and did 153 stops in 126 miles in suburbia. I was doing a 160 in 90 miles a month ago punching out at 6/6:30. Today was after 9, and I wasn't the last guy back.
I'd agree. That's just unrealistic even on an occasional basis much less the long term norm. For awhile, at least where I am, management would try to entice some of the M thru friend guys to come in on a Saturday to help alleviate that type of piling on, but they weren't always successful in convincing enough to commit to it because so many were already too fed up with the rapidly deteriorating working conditions experienced during the 5 weekdays.

Management had told the hourlies here before implementation that the Saturdays would average between an 8 to 8 and 1/2 hour dispatch. Turned out it was an absolute falsehood and now absolutely no drivers have any faith or trust in what the management tells them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Every Saturday I am absolutely exhausted. They don't care about this 9 to 9 schedule. They took care of all the big ticket items cause they don't want a strike . On the other hand no relooping the routes , no desperately needed time study, and no helping us with iregs
The crop of preloaders that stay for saturday are either entirely new or are old-timers that don't mind earning overtime while rome is burning around them. Saturdays had some really good weeks this year. Where there was an extremely low amount of misloads and LIBs, all assignments done before driver start time. As time progressed those really good weeks turned into the same old crap from the weekdays, and now they are worse than a normal weekday.
What gives?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's not happening
They are loosing money on this weekend stuff..... just them advancing these loads are costing them more than usual... so my question is if they already said they want to tone down sat. And sunday work isn’t going to be anytime soon then why even have these hybrids??? Obviously they want to work these hybrids throughout the week which I won’t agree with...they shouldn’t drive on m-friend unless there’s an emergency where they have no regular drivers and a route is just sitting at the building ...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's not happening
They are loosing money on this weekend stuff..... just them advancing these loads are costing them more than usual... so my question is if they already said they want to tone down sat. And sunday work isn’t going to be anytime soon then why even have these hybrids??? Obviously they want to work these hybrids throughout the week which I won’t agree with...they shouldn’t drive on m-friend unless there’s an emergency where they have no regular drivers and a route is just sitting at the building ...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We had a center wide time study done a few years back. Our center manager was getting tired of his higher ups bitching about our performance. He said I know my guys aren't dogging it. These numbers are bogus.

Two weeks later we'd lost over 24 hours as a center and everyone looked even worse.
Welcome to the dog and pony show....boxes are bigger, traffic is heavier but you loose time... it’s a joke

Undertow

I ask myself that too with regard to the "Why". It's a big country and not every building has the exact same circumstances but from everything I've heard and read, there's many facilities like mine that simply have a constant and chronic shortage on most if not all shifts. I'm not sure the company could attract anybody to start as a part timer on preload even if they offered something above minimum wage in conditions that bad. Who wants to wake up in the middle of the night to work for 3 to 5 hours with some supervisor constantly yelling and complaining? The agreement looks like a trial balloon floated in order to pick off just enough of the older full timers who are fed up with the forced OT on one end and the newer part time employees who are stuck at a poverty level wage.

Maybe enough focused on just those two priorities might cry "Uncle" and vote Yes, but I'm not convinced just yet. Most part timers where I work have heard too many horror stories these past two years and now not only don't want but fear taking the driving job and knowing that they could be forced to go 70 hours with zero 9.5 protection certainly won't change that dynamic. Hoffa and the boardroom in Atlanta can post and recite numbers and data all they want and it's not going to change the fact that the constant crisis mode working conditions that have built up at this company over the last several years have really hardened the attitudes of what I suspect are a majority of the hourlies. Nobody wants more hours when the conditions just constantly suck and never run smoothly. Things barely worked before Saturdays and now there's just never a decent day. At best, the offer appears to be "Wrong Place - Wrong Time". If the union and company were serious about using hybrids to ease the overloaded dispatch, then present a clause that has irrefutable 9.5 language on one end and iron clad protection forbidding exploitation of hybrids up to 70 hours on the other. Until that happens, I'd refuse it right there regardless of whatever other issues they claim to have "fixed".

RPCD

I'm not sure the company could attract anybody to start as a part timer on preload even if they offered something above minimum wage in conditions that bad. Who wants to wake up in the middle of the night to work for 3 to 5 hours with some supervisor constantly yelling and complaining? ~Nobody wants more hours when the conditions just constantly suck and never run smoothly. Things barely worked before Saturdays and now there's just never a decent day. If the union and company were serious about using hybrids to ease the overloaded dispatch, then present a clause that has irrefutable 9.5 language on one end and iron clad protection forbidding exploitation of hybrids up to 70 hours on the other.
THIS^^

upschuck

Just curious, when we start Sunday, will there be more holidays, or will they work through them, I.e. mother's day and father's day. And if they get them paid, we all get them paid. Exchanged for BF?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Looks like the sheep are starting to fall in line

Tweak the 22.4 deal a little bit get them on the 9.5 list limit it to 60 hours

Then they won’t mind working for less. they truly will be 2nd class drivers

SMH

panther

I wonder how many hybrids will be brought in during the week and mgmt will say " We have 10 extra drivers today guys, who wants to go home?"

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
The crop of preloaders that stay for saturday are either entirely new or are old-timers that don't mind earning overtime while rome is burning around them. Saturdays had some really good weeks this year. Where there was an extremely low amount of misloads and LIBs, all assignments done before driver start time. As time progressed those really good weeks turned into the same old crap from the weekdays, and now they are worse than a normal weekday.
What gives?
Unfair Prisoner Service is sucking eggs in all categories, At times im embarrassed to work here

upsbeernut

What gives?
Unfair Prisoner Service is sucking eggs in all categories, At times im embarrassed to work here

upsbeernut

I ask myself that too with regard to the "Why". It's a big country and not every building has the exact same circumstances but from everything I've heard and read, there's many facilities like mine that simply have a constant and chronic shortage on most if not all shifts. I'm not sure the company could attract anybody to start as a part timer on preload even if they offered something above minimum wage in conditions that bad. Who wants to wake up in the middle of the night to work for 3 to 5 hours with some supervisor constantly yelling and complaining? The agreement looks like a trial balloon floated in order to pick off just enough of the older full timers who are fed up with the forced OT on one end and the newer part time employees who are stuck at a poverty level wage.

Maybe enough focused on just those two priorities might cry "Uncle" and vote Yes, but I'm not convinced just yet. Most part timers where I work have heard too many horror stories these past two years and now not only don't want but fear taking the driving job and knowing that they could be forced to go 70 hours with zero 9.5 protection certainly won't change that dynamic. Hoffa and the boardroom in Atlanta can post and recite numbers and data all they want and it's not going to change the fact that the constant crisis mode working conditions that have built up at this company over the last several years have really hardened the attitudes of what I suspect are a majority of the hourlies. Nobody wants more hours when the conditions just constantly suck and never run smoothly. Things barely worked before Saturdays and now there's just never a decent day. At best, the offer appears to be "Wrong Place - Wrong Time". If the union and company were serious about using hybrids to ease the overloaded dispatch, then present a clause that has irrefutable 9.5 language on one end and iron clad protection forbidding exploitation of hybrids up to 70 hours on the other. Until that happens, I'd refuse it right there regardless of whatever other issues they claim to have "fixed".
Working conditions, well lets start with the ice machines in the break area mainly used by the part timers haven't worked in 2 years. no fans in the trucks or ventilation in the back , Saturday drivers borrow your truck and sometimes no gas on Monday or no truck,3 loaders loading on one belt on Monday, supervisors don't care cause they are disorganized as we are, too many rookies with too much work is not good for safety, 4 accidents in two weeks for one building might be your indication that the titanic has hit the iceburg of unorganization.

JustDeliverIt

All shifts are understaffed, at least in my building and from what I read on here it is across the country as well. What they should be doing is creating a full time inside the building shift where you work twi/night or night/preload. Having full time positions open up for inside the building would drastically help the building operate when you have a more dedicated work force and allowing PT some goal to showing up since there is advancement without driving.
As for the weekend delivery, as much as I don't like it, that is what it is coming to. Hire more FT drivers and and some cover positions are going to have to be T-Sa, W-Su, or whatever agreement is made. Thru seniority you bid out of those positions. Create a better work environment and people will want to go out driving. Just my opinion.

upsbeernut

I'd agree. That's just unrealistic even on an occasional basis much less the long term norm. For awhile, at least where I am, management would try to entice some of the M thru friend guys to come in on a Saturday to help alleviate that type of piling on, but they weren't always successful in convincing enough to commit to it because so many were already too fed up with the rapidly deteriorating working conditions experienced during the 5 weekdays.

Management had told the hourlies here before implementation that the Saturdays would average between an 8 to 8 and 1/2 hour dispatch. Turned out it was an absolute falsehood and now absolutely no drivers have any faith or trust in what the management tells them.
that sux

upsbeernut

reloop the routes and stop the 5 different route plans per week, we are the biggest and most reliable cause of history of consistent service

upsbeernut

We had a center wide time study done a few years back. Our center manager was getting tired of his higher ups bitching about our performance. He said I know my guys aren't dogging it. These numbers are bogus.

Two weeks later we'd lost over 24 hours as a center and everyone looked even worse.
he probably lost his job or got moved,management needs to grow some balls