The Thing About OT...

ThePackageDeli

Here's the thing about overtime.. If both employer and employee don't want it, then why does it still exist? Kick that S.O.B. to the curb.

8-hour shifts for ALL full-time employees! OT optional! Thanks!

over9five

Staff member
Hourly compensation is just part of your total wage package.
For one thing, UPS only contributes to your pension for 8 hours. Overtime is a bargain (versus hiring another driver).
Same with vehicles. We'd need more vehicles if everyone was cut to 8. ($$$).

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Here's the thing about overtime.. If both employer and employee don't want it, then why does it still exist? Kick that S.O.B. to the curb.

The company would like to have us do 10 hours of work in 8 hours of straight time. But seeing as that rarely happens they would rather pay OT than hire more drivers.

542thruNthru

tenor-23.gif

quad decade guy

Hourly compensation is just part of your total wage package.
For one thing, UPS only contributes to your pension for 8 hours. Overtime is a bargain (versus hiring another driver).
Same with vehicles. We'd need more vehicles if everyone was cut to 8. ($$$).
Don't forget DIADS, IVIS'S, UNIFORMS etc.

Money is money.

No?

Take a 4-10's job vs. 50-60 feeder run. Oh, you will notice the difference....big time.

The real difference for me: 60 hours.......never think about money.....We (Wife/Me) never talk about it. 40 hours.......we do think about it. I ask the Wife about bidding a 4-10.......she's not a big fan. 6000 mile sleeper runs are $1000 more take home(per week) than a 60 hour feeder(brown truck)(per week).

Money sure makes life much more pleasant/easier. When I work...I work. When I'm off.....I'm off.

I was raised to work first. The rest will fall in place. It has served me well.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Anyone in the history of UPS remember any time when drivers didn't work overtime? Maybe some might reconsider another line of work before signing up?