The Thing About OT...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Am I the only one who thinks 9 hours is perfect?

8 hrs doesn't just seem right.... and 10+ is too much. ;)

When I started in pkg (late 80's), the time studies were accurate and fair. You had to really suck if you couldn't scratch.

The routes were designed so most drivers were consistently averaging 9 hrs a day. The only people working more

hours than that... wanted to... by helping new drivers or covering late pickups that they wouldn't put on TDP.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
8 hrs doesn't just seem right.... and 10+ is too much. ;)

When I started in pkg (late 80's), the time studies were accurate and fair. You had to really suck if you couldn't scratch.

The routes were designed so most drivers were consistently averaging 9 hrs a day. The only people working more

hours than that... wanted to... by helping new drivers or covering late pickups that they wouldn't put on TDP.
Nowadays the only day i get less than 9 hours is when someone poorly translates their name 3 dozen times and each one triggers a new stop to be added to the total :rolleyes:

ThePackageDeli

Anyone in the history of UPS remember any time when drivers didn't work overtime? Maybe some might reconsider another line of work before signing up?
One beautiful thing about the ever-evolving economic landscape is that things don't have to remain the way they've always been. They can change. They should change. I welcome the implementation of new solutions that are beneficial to both the employer and the employee. If one such solution came along that allowed workers to willingly forfeit OT, while at the same time saved the company money... Why not do it? And for those union employees who want OT, let them have it. But give us the choice!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
One beautiful thing about the ever-evolving economic landscape is that things don't have to remain the way they've always been. They can change. They should change. I welcome the implementation of new solutions that are beneficial to both the employer and the employee. If one such solution came along that allowed workers to willingly forfeit OT, while at the same time saved the company money... Why not do it? And for those union employees who want OT, let them have it. But give us the choice!
How do forfeit overtime, work free like a runner-gunner bonus driver?

Up In Smoke

We are currently under a company directive of 135 stops per car. That's an increase of 7 per car from October and a reduction of 5 routes per day from October. Starting weekending 3/5 we are processing 50+ 9.5 grievances per week. The center manager just shrugs his shoulders and pushes them to labor. I'm sure this will continue until the next directive or the accidents and injuries increase, making it more expensive than it's worth.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Lol
You must be new here