The Virus likely mutated in Italy, the same can and might happen here.

Dumbperson

As of 6:20pm on March 22nd, the total cases in China is just over 81,000 with just over 3,200 people dying as a result of the disease.
In Italy, there are just over 59,000 cases and over 5,400 people that have died as a result of the disease.
32,000 less cases in Italy but 2,200 more deaths. Italy also has 3,000 people in critical condition while China has just over 1,800.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 336,838 Cases and 14,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

This can likely be the result of a mutation in the virus. Bacteria is a-sexual which means it reproduces by making a copy of itself. Just like any type of reproductive system mutations can occur during this process and when you reproduce as quickly and frequently as bacteria the more likely the chances of a mutation to occur.

I believe this happened in Italy, I think Italy's COVID-19 is not the same as China's and this is resulting in a higher contamination rate and a higher mortality rate.

UPS is not taking this matter seriously, they have provided no PPE such as gloves or masks and they have not clean or disinfected any surfaces on the trucks that I have seen. Nor have they provided any type of sterilization. All they have done is cancel morning meetings and tell us to wash our hands at all the very convenient hand washing stations out on route.

This situation is as serious as it gets and with the extreme exposure to drivers and other UPS employees something has to be done or it can and will cost lives and a lot of them.
Italian population is one of the oldest in the world

so you’ve got all this education and you work in a hub?
Time and money well spent

I wouldn't consider a BS "all this education". But I can't disagree with you. I tried the white collar thing and couldn't do it. UPS fell into my lap after leaving Amazon and I stayed because I like the job and they offered enough.

quad decade guy

Its not spreading fear and panic, its informing people of what I believe to be the case and I believe people (just like you) are downplaying this, acting like it's another swine flu. No I don't have a PhD. I have a BS in Environmental Science from Washington. I didn't study biology but I took a lot of it. Do I know that this is the case? no. It could be general health or age of a region in Italy, I am speaking from my gut and what I have learned in my lifetime. I'm no expert, just one of you.

With as much respect as I can muster, LOL.

Goldman Sachs economists predicted Thursday night in a research note that as many as 2.25 million Americans could file claims for unemployment benefits this week. This would by far be a record, as the previous high was about 695,000 on Oct. 2, 1982.

Unemployment Claims Expected to Hit Record Numbers Next Week | The Motley Fool

The unemployment rate has been at around 3.6% for the last year. This 30% is just taking into account people filing for unemployment because of being forced to stay home due to the virus.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The unemployment rate has been at around 3.6% for the last year. This 30% is just taking into account people filing for unemployment because of being forced to stay home due to the virus.
And? They're out of a job, and you're not. Which is my point.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Its not spreading fear and panic, its informing people of what I believe to be the case and I believe people (just like you) are downplaying this, acting like it's another swine flu. No I don't have a PhD. I have a BS in Environmental Science from Washington. I didn't study biology but I took a lot of it. Do I know that this is the case? no. It could be general health or age of a region in Italy, I am speaking from my gut and what I have learned in my lifetime. I'm no expert, just one of you.
okay. then i'll speculate. this CV19 will be gone by summer. just my gut feeling.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As of 6:20pm on March 22nd, the total cases in China is just over 81,000 with just over 3,200 people dying as a result of the disease.
In Italy, there are just over 59,000 cases and over 5,400 people that have died as a result of the disease.
32,000 less cases in Italy but 2,200 more deaths. Italy also has 3,000 people in critical condition while China has just over 1,800.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 336,838 Cases and 14,616 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

This can likely be the result of a mutation in the virus. Bacteria is a-sexual which means it reproduces by making a copy of itself. Just like any type of reproductive system mutations can occur during this process and when you reproduce as quickly and frequently as bacteria the more likely the chances of a mutation to occur.

I believe this happened in Italy, I think Italy's COVID-19 is not the same as China's and this is resulting in a higher contamination rate and a higher mortality rate.

UPS is not taking this matter seriously, they have provided no PPE such as gloves or masks and they have not clean or disinfected any surfaces on the trucks that I have seen. Nor have they provided any type of sterilization. All they have done is cancel morning meetings and tell us to wash our hands at all the very convenient hand washing stations out on route.

This situation is as serious as it gets and with the extreme exposure to drivers and other UPS employees something has to be done or it can and will cost lives and a lot of them.
I’m not saying it’s impossible but....Italy is one of the oldest populations in the world. Italians are very touchy feely in their greetings and every day lives. Italy has 5x the population density of the United States. A lot of people smoke in Europe. I think many things just made the perfect storm in Italy.

Right now the death rate is just over 1% in the USA and likely to go way down as more testing happens.

quad decade guy

I’m not saying it’s impossible but....Italy is one of the oldest populations in the world. Italians are very touchy feely in their greetings and every day lives. Italy has 5x the population density of the United States. A lot of people smoke in Europe. I think many things just made the perfect storm in Italy.

Right now the death rate is just over 1% in the USA and likely to go way down as more testing happens.

1% of infected or of the whole US population. Wasn't clear. Thanks

You said you were gonna turn your badge in, I'm just saying go ahead because UPS won't have any problem filling your spot.

I forgot the American dream was to let your employer walk all over you and break every contractual agreement possible. They can have it, I and everyone else, can do better.

If you're not a supervisor, you should be because you are definitely one of them. No pulse, just a drone in their system. Exactly what they are looking for! Good luck to you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I forgot the American dream was to let your employer walk all over you and break every contractual agreement possible. They can have it, I and everyone else, can do better.

If you're not a supervisor, you should be because you are definitely one of them. No pulse, just a drone in their system. Exactly what they are looking for! Good luck to you.
I'd wish you good luck, but we both know you're not going anywhere :wink2:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
1% of infected or of the whole US population. Wasn't clear. Thanks
About 1.3% of those that have tested positive have died in the USA to this point. Estimates are that up to 10x more cases exist. These people either have very minor symptoms or just can’t get tested because of shortages right now.

If their are in fact 10x more cases then the death rate is about .13%.