The WORST customer service I've EVER seen...ANYWHERE!

helenofcalifornia

Non sequitor. Anybody else notice the tons of red vested workers in Target lately? Place is a lot cleaner now and better organized.

Hoax, you crack me up!!!! I sure wish there was a place in the DIAD for negative feedback. That screen would be worn out after the first month. Negative feedback, chortle, chortle, chortle!

worldwide

ICC does govern over UPS on COD pkgs, and under the law, we can not return funds, after the pkg has been opened. The consignee only has the right of refusal at delivery.
(This is per my training, I doubt the laws have changed since.)
It is strictly a transaction between the seller and the buyer..

The ICC does not exist any longer

The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) was a regulatory body in the United States created by the Interstate Commerce Act of 1887. The agency was abolished in 1995, and the agency's remaining functions were transferred to the Surface Transportation Board.

The shipper could call in to possibly remove the COD tag--sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Shipper could also request package held at center while consignee decides what to do. Consignee could simply refuse package and refuse to pay any shipping charges. There are always options.

NHDRVR

Holy cow, I had the biggest SNAFU delivery I've ever had in my short career. I had a guy who apparently bought something on EBAY and then told the shipper he wanted to cancel it if it had a COD attached (wow, UPS attach a COD? NO WAY!).

I guess the seller was a jerk and said no refund so I show up the door and the guy asks me what he should do. I have no idea, I've never had this problem before. The guy also says he would LIKE to send the package back but is worried he'd still be stuck with the $40 shipping bill. If he's not then he'd like to send it back. So I call my sup who tells me he's not sure if the guy would be stuck with the bill or not and doesn't know anyone that would know. So I ask him what I should do. He recommends doing a 'no COD' and let the depot figure it out.

Well, the guy decides to pay for it since he doesn't want it shipped back and be out $40.

Fast foreward to end of shift. I just punch out and get cornered by our customer service desk asking about the package. Well, there's the customer again. The guy from EBAY didn't give him the full product so now he's at least trying to recoup his brokerage on the cost and would like to refuse the package. It was a giant 20x40 picture display thing that was missing and there was NO way it could fit in that box in the first place, so I believe the guy.

I check with DIAD office guy who's sometimes handy but he says he can't change my stop to show no money but that an onroad sup could as it was the second time it happened today (not sure if it's possible or not, anyone know?). I go to 2 onroad sups (standing beside each other) who ask me what the problem is with the customer since they heard about it through the grape vine but didn't want to deal with it. I tell them and ask if there's anything they can do. They tell me to just ignore it and go home...Umm...Ignore a customer? That's how UPS operates? Huh...weird, I've heard them quote to other drivers 'we're in the customer service industry!'.

So, I go back to customer care to see if they can do anything. They said they can't because the onroad sup I talked to refused to talk to the customer therefore putting me in the middle of this mess. Wow, thanks for doing your job sup! Ignore customer wasn't in my training, it must be a management thing.

So, I tried calling brokerage line who said THEY couldn't do anything. How frustrating! The guy is EXTREMELY frustrated at UPS and grateful towards me for actually not ignoring him. So, the only recommendation I could think of next was to call his credit card company and tell them to put a stop on that payment when it comes through to be processed since it's not instantaneous (since I was off the clock I don't think anything can happen to me about this since I was just giving friendly advice).

The guy essentially just wanted SOMEONE to listen to him and TRY to do something other then stick their thumb up their bum and hope the problem went away. Anyways, it does bother me quite a bit because I ENJOY taking care of the customers that I deal with and when they're upset it bugs me. Anyone know anyone who I could get contact info for that COULD do something that I can give this guy?

You were already going above and beyond after the 1st paragraph.

Good for you for trying to right a wrong but it's these situations that gave me my reasons for not getting personally involved in the cardboard.

UPSGUY72

For trying to help a customer? Sorry, my mistake, I forgot you used to be management and it's rule 1 to blame the driver ;) :peaceful:

Your whole problem was that you tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

The guy either wanted the package or not. If not you pust NoDel, Refused, and then why. Problem solved. Package gets sent back to sender.

OldUPSDriver

M23 has no knowledge of the rules, he is a self proclaimed rookie. Then due to his ignorance blames the company for "WORST COMPANY SERVICE". He may be "THE WORST COMPANY SERVICE PROVIDER".

Chnandler Bong

I think Worldwide was on the right track. Tell the consignee to contact the shipper and resolve any concerns before paying for the package. In the meantime, sheet the package as NM1 and go about your day. (We're not supposed to do holds for COD's in our center) Just don't put yourself in the middle. It's not our job....

I know this advice is a bit late in your situation and I understand your desire to help the customer. Regardless, it's his problem to fix. He needs to deal with Ebay and the shipper directly. Your sup's, unfortunately, seem to be typical in their response...

M

Mike23

Mike, one thing you could give the guy,on the sly of course,is the name of the two sups and the phone number to Atlanta. Give him yours if your confident in his appreciation of you. it may have been a screwup outside of our hands but there`s no excuse for "ignoring it".

I'll have to keep this one in mind for later :D

M

Mike23

I think my main beef with the situation was that my sup wouldn't do anything, even talk to the guy when he specifically requested a sup, and just pretty much said ignore him until he goes away.

I deal with one of the biggest international exporters in our city that doesn't go on a 5 ton. If they're ticked, am I to ignore them too? Maybe this is why many drivers are getting laid off and management's crapping down our throats because we're being told to ignore all the problems put forth to us or our management team?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think my main beef with the situation was that my sup wouldn't do anything, even talk to the guy when he specifically requested a sup, and just pretty much said ignore him until he goes away.

I deal with one of the biggest international exporters in our city that doesn't go on a 5 ton. If they're ticked, am I to ignore them too? Maybe this is why many drivers are getting laid off and management's crapping down our throats because we're being told to ignore all the problems put forth to us or our management team?

In mgt as well as a driver, one must learn to prioritize.
This customer had a problem/issue that could not be solved by UPS.
People try to give me their problems 3 - 5 times a day on average ... if it is in my area of responsibility, I accept.
If it is not in my area but I can help, I advise them on how for them to solve their problem.
Key thing is that they leave with their problem and not leave it with me.
That is probably what your supervisor was doing.

Last edited:

LED

I think you are asking too much for an on-car sup to have good customer service skills.

satellitedriver

The ICC does not exist any longer

The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) was a regulatory body in the United States created by the Interstate Commerce Act of 1887. The agency was abolished in 1995, and the agency's remaining functions were transferred to the Surface Transportation Board.
I stand corrected, that is why I put the caveat on not knowing if the law had changed. I was hired and trained in 1986, and since then, UPS has never informed me of any regulatory changes.
So, are you saying the name change has changed policy?

M

Mike23

If it is not in my area but I can help, I advise them on how for them to solve their problem.

My understanding from this customer is my sup didn't even make an appearance. NO supervisor did. They just let the grunts try to help the poor guy. It just seemed very unprofessional to me for a supervisor to do this. Isn't the process supposed to go up the ladder until SOMEONE says 'yes we can help you' or 'no, and this is the EXACT reason why'. Instead they just left the guy to the lowlies to deal with which made him more frustrated.
Shouldn't our sups know our chain of command and physically walk him over to the supervisor that can help them so that they know the customer receives the attention they require?

Who knows, maybe tomorrow he'll be asked by his multimillion dollar account boss, 'I was thinking which courier company we should use'.

Do you think the guys reply will be, 'UPS, they're very good with customers'. I somehow doubt it.

When I worked for another company I was told that word of mouth is the biggest asset you can have in a company. If you do a good job he'll tell 10 people about how great a job you did. If you did a horrible job then the same thing happens.

brown138

mike, You said it was a 20 X 40 item that no way would of fit in the box...
then why did the guy think it was in the box... just wondering...
Not that I recommend it but... collect the cod get the signature then have them open the box... at the very least you could of taken care of the problem right then and there... without having to involve management... and watching them bury their heads in the sand. I call it taking care of the customer.

UPSGUY72

My understanding from this customer is my sup didn't even make an appearance. NO supervisor did. They just let the grunts try to help the poor guy. It just seemed very unprofessional to me for a supervisor to do this. Isn't the process supposed to go up the ladder until SOMEONE says 'yes we can help you' or 'no, and this is the EXACT reason why'. Instead they just left the guy to the lowlies to deal with which made him more frustrated.
Shouldn't our sups know our chain of command and physically walk him over to the supervisor that can help them so that they know the customer receives the attention they require?

Who knows, maybe tomorrow he'll be asked by his multimillion dollar account boss, 'I was thinking which courier company we should use'.

Do you think the guys reply will be, 'UPS, they're very good with customers'. I somehow doubt it.

When I worked for another company I was told that word of mouth is the biggest asset you can have in a company. If you do a good job he'll tell 10 people about how great a job you did. If you did a horrible job then the same thing happens.

I think you forgot who is to blame for this whole thing . YOU Not your on road Sup. The customer has the right to refuse a package before they open it or pay the COD for it. Once they pay the COD or open yjey own it. If they have a problem they have to contact the shipper. If it was from a ebay seller then they can report the guy to ebay.

How ever UPS isn't in the job of sorting out problem between shippers and customer. We are a delivery company.

We work for the shipper keeping the SHIPPER happy is what counts.

brown138

We should also car about the end customer. The one that is ordering these items. The customer's that we have to see everyday. They are the one's that pay the shipping in the end.

bridges

Sorry that happened those type of situations suck. To figure problem out the right way? call the corporate hotline and state the issue then leave a number for them to contact you back at, they will contact you back within 24hrs to tell you how to handle the problem and when you call they really do keep you're call private and they will not tell on you i know wow something you can kinda trust to ups for once in a lifetime. that is how i would handle the situation myself. I can't believe your center manager did not handle it properly and that if he didn't know that he did not go figure it out for you. supervisor never back up there employees never trust them. next i would tell the customer to call the customer hotline to state how they feel so then they can feel justified. GOODLUCK!!!

I think you forgot who is to blame for this whole thing . YOU Not your on road Sup. The customer has the right to refuse a package before they open it or pay the COD for it. Once they pay the COD or open yjey own it. If they have a problem they have to contact the shipper. If it was from a ebay seller then they can report the guy to ebay.

How ever UPS isn't in the job of sorting out problem between shippers and customer. We are a delivery company.

We work for the shipper keeping the SHIPPER happy is what counts.
Technically you are correct, however good business sense dictates that the Sup should have went to talk with the customer to inform him he was screwed by the shipper. Then the next morning do a short trainning session with Mike to educated him on the policy in this situation. Once a customer gets to the building with requests to see a supervisor, then a sup damn sure needs to handle the problem one way or another. THAT'S why the get paid the big bucks.