The Year In Review.....

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
Now that we are down to the last days left in the year, lets take a look back. What were some of the dumbest comments and/or situations that happened to you this year (with customers or with other upsers)?

DS

Fenderbender
OK I'll start.
Had a del for an apt,the lady lets me in and I go up to the 7th floor,knock and she answers the door.
What is it?
Its a digital box from your cable company.
Is there any charge?
No I just need a signature.
Are you going to come in and install it?
No I'm just a ups driver.
Then I don't want it.
Ok, its up to you,but all you have to do is call them and they walk you right through it.
I dont want it.
Ok,have a nice day.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Manager: You have to put your lunch in your board.
Me: I did.
Manager: You only put in half an hour.
Me: I only took half an hour.
Manager: Don't punch out until you take the other half.
Me: See you in half an hour, I didn't want to go home anyway.:biting:

Overpaid Union Thug

As drivers we all see and hear lots of crazy and rediculous things. Sometimes it's from customers and sometimes it's from co-workers or from management. My favorite happens every year just about every day during peak and it totally makes anything that customers do seem less rediculous. When the Center Manager or On Car Sup approaches me before I've seen my load or even before I've clocked in yet and asks....."What time do you think you'll be done today?" and/or "Can you be in before 11 hours?"....I can't help but laugh.

Here's one that always gets me as being ,not only stupid but very illogical. On the very few times I call in for help to finish they ask how many stops I have DONE, not how many I have left. I tell them that as this point, stops finished are irrelevant, the only important thing is how many to go. I once even refused to tell them. LOL, they weren't going to send me any help anyway.

One morning I was swinging on an area that they min/max was 85/95, the preloader count was 110. At the PCM the OCS announced that NO ONE was to be O/9.5 " NO EXCEPTIONS", if you were going to have problems finishing, call before 3pm. I raised my hand and stated that I was without doubt not going to get done by 9.5. OHHH NOOO, that won't do, HAVE to call in. So, I took out my cell phone and called the sup on his cell right then.

oh and BTW, when asked for a safety tip, do not tell them that you should never have unprotected sex. Ever notice management doesn't usually have a good sense of humor?

Fredless

APWA Hater
Redesigning the small sort in my hub, during peak...and when the paper pusher nerd asked us what we thought of it, and we'd tell him - he'd cut us off in mid sentence and tell us why it was more efficient that way.

I have since gone down to an average of 800 scans a night when I bag now from 1000+. Only misloads I ever got was after the redesign, got a lady up there after 14 years got her first warning letter ever, due to misloads from the poor design.

But hey, don't listen to us. It's been fun writing the letters of concern and protests. This is actually built a great deal of union-ism in the small sort against management in my hub.

I seriously am waiting for them to nail someone with a suspension...hopefully me. I cannot wait for that local or panel hearing.

*golf clap* for I.E. You have sucessfully built a team of 15+ employees into company haters and will now greive you guys over touching a package now (as it should've been regardless). How much money has this cost you in the long run?

Jackasses.

BrownPR215

What Can Brown Do To You!
One of the dumbest comments I encounter almost everyday on my route is "What's In The Box?". That's when I smile and with a hint of sarcasm say the uniform doesn't come equipped with xray vision.:devil3:

As far as dumbest situation (customer): last week, I knock on a door and a woman answers wearing a t-shirt and a towel wrapped around her bottom. She is defeinately not the kind of woman you hope answers the door dressed that way. As she signs the diad her towel starts to fall, I turn around and say I'll protect the public covering her up.:biting:

rocket man

did i bring a latter to take down direct tv off roof. i said no he asked how come we dont carry ladders , i said some one borrowed it and did not return it he said that makes sence. that was a oca.:happy2:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You know what I can't stand is people who think they can control their dog by yelling "Shut Up"! or "Get Back" and the dog doesn't listen and they spend the next few minutes yelling at the dog even louder. Then they end up closing the door behind them which is something they could have done as I drove up..........rrrrrrrrr!!!

Trplnkl, I get the feeling you like to agitate Mgmnt. Keeps them honest.
I can't help it, it's in my genetics. It's not my fault that I have a sense of humor, :smartass:albeit a little off center sometimes. However I do seem to look for chances to point out when a sup or manager says stupid stuff.
One of my favs is when the sup comes to me with the "news flash" that I am over allowed.:surprised:. That's when the routine dialog begins.
Me: Over allowed what?
sup:you ran over your planned day.
me: nonsense, I finished, that was my plan.
sup: it took you 10 hours to do an 8.5 day
me: then obviously it was a 10 hour day
sup: something ridiculous along with :angry:
me: whut?

end of conversation

browniehound

I can't help it, it's in my genetics. It's not my fault that I have a sense of humor, :smartass:albeit a little off center sometimes. However I do seem to look for chances to point out when a sup or manager says stupid stuff.
One of my favs is when the sup comes to me with the "news flash" that I am over allowed.:surprised:. That's when the routine dialog begins.
Me: Over allowed what?
sup:you ran over your planned day.
me: nonsense, I finished, that was my plan.
sup: it took you 10 hours to do an 8.5 day
me: then obviously it was a 10 hour day
sup: something ridiculous along with :angry:
me: whut?

end of conversation

trplnkl, If I were you I'd tried to pick my spots as to when to be a wise-ass towards your sup. The bottom line is that you can't win against them. Do you like having them up your ass over the littlest things everyday?

While you might find your above conversation funny, your supervisor surely doesn't and quite frankly, neither do most drivers. I heard comments similar to your diatribe about 7 times over the years and its old. I think I thought that way at about 6 months into the job.

Calling you sup. 5 minutes after you start time crying over 9.5 is going to get you nowhere also. With EDD, we all know how much work everyone has and how many people are over-dispatched. If you took a more tactful approach maybe you would recieve help more often.

Also, they want to know how many stops you have completed to get a complete picture of how your day is looking, so it is relevant.

I don't mean to jump down your throat here, I am just trying to give some friendly advice. You are a relatively new driver correct?

When I chat with my driver friends we always come to the conclusion that you can't fight management. You can, but it will be futile. They run the operation and they can make your life miserable if you try to make their's.

:peaceful:,
Brownie

trplnkl, If I were you I'd tried to pick my spots as to when to be a wise-ass towards your sup. The bottom line is that you can't win against them. Do you like having them up your ass over the littlest things everyday?
Hell no I don't want them up my wazoo...ever..and that's my point in some of the things I say to them. Leave me alone to do my job and I'll get it done. The last thing I want is to drag the day out, I get finished as quickly as I possibly can with the tools they provide. Hounding me over THEIR illogical numbers that have nothing to do with real world conditions can't make it go faster.

While you might find your above conversation funny, your supervisor surely doesn't and quite frankly, neither do most drivers. I heard comments similar to your diatribe about 7 times over the years and its old. I think I thought that way at about 6 months into the job.
Thanks for helping prove my point that supervisors have no sense of humor. Actually it wasn't what I said that I thought was funny, it was the fact that the conversation ever took place. So it's diatribe to point out that , over/ under, allowances, SPORH, planned day and other such terms are not mentioned in the contract anywhere? If I'm not mistaken the only term used is "honest days work". Now are you sure you've heard that 7 times? Maybe it was really just 6 and you're exaggerating.

Calling you sup. 5 minutes after you start time crying over 9.5 is going to get you nowhere also. With EDD, we all know how much work everyone has and how many people are over-dispatched. If you took a more tactful approach maybe you would recieve help more often.
First off, I don't see where I was "crying" over 9.5, I was complying with their instructions to call in if I was gonna be O/9.5, I knew damn well at that minute that I would be over, they knew it too. Now, for in town drivers if you have a heavy dispatch and you call in around 3-4 pm they might send someone out to help you with stops or getting your pickups in on time. However they usually use that as an opportunity to harass yet one more time. The area that I was running the day that I made the early call I knew I would be approximately 110 miles from the center, there would be no help forthcoming, I knew that and they knew that. calling in would be a waste of MY time. Oh and BTW, I also knew that during the time they wanted "the call" I would be in a dead zone for cell phones and no place to borrow a phone.

[qoute]Also, they want to know how many stops you have completed to get a complete picture of how your day is looking, so it is relevant.[/quote]
They have no freakin idea what you have encountered during the day, them knowing how many stops you have done is worthless. Management are the "numbers" people, the numbers showed that I would be over 9.5 before I ever punched in that a.m. The fact that a driver has another 6 hours of work to do after doing 5 hours would tell anyone with a lick of common sense how the day is looking.

I don't mean to jump down your throat here, I am just trying to give some friendly advice. You are a relatively new driver correct?
yeah relatively new, 20 year rookie.

When I chat with my driver friends we always come to the conclusion that you can't fight management. You can, but it will be futile. They run the operation and they can make your life miserable if you try to make their's.

Brownie
I came to the conclusion a long time ago, that you can't change their system no matter how eff'ed up it is. But brother let me tell you, I aint kissin booty for no man. as I said earlier I do my job as well as I can with the tools they provide. I point out that many times when things go wrong it isn't the driver that messed up, it was THEIR system. When one day, 100 stp, 20 up stop etc etc is a 9 hour "planned day" and the next day an almost identical day is not even an 8 hour planned day and I finish both days in 8.5, how is it that I am not doing my job? That's no exaggeration, it's case history, and most drivers can attest to that fact.
I win everyday that I get to see both the sun rise and the sun set, and UP$ can't change that.

browniehound

trplnkl ,

I do the job to the best of my abilties also. I think most of us do. But I have never experienced any of the things that you mentioned above.

Yes, they have no idea about what happens during your day. But they know the average of what you're supposed to do. Yes, crap happens (trafiic, weather, delays due to customer contact, broken 2 wheelers, broken elevators) but do they happen every day?

I know there is nothing in the contract regarding numbers, but there has to be some standard. Should we be allowed to deliver a dense,strictly residential area at 10 stops an hour when my great-grandmother could do 20 stops per hour?

The fact that its not in the contract and they give you crap about it is great! Because there is NOTHING they can do about it!

I just say I had a bad day and thats the end of it. I know it aggrivates you, but you do what they want by arguing with them. You get paid for the hours you work, they get paid to minimize YOUR hours. I wouldn't rub that point in their face when they are powerless change your hours. what is done is done the next day.

trplnkl ,

I do the job to the best of my abilties also. I think most of us do. But I have never experienced any of the things that you mentioned above.
I'm not sure which things you are referring to but, everything I mentioned has happened here, some of them on a regular basis.

Yes, they have no idea about what happens during your day. But they know the average of what you're supposed to do. Yes, crap happens (trafiic, weather, delays due to customer contact, broken 2 wheelers, broken elevators) but do they happen every day?
They know what IE says we are supposed do, which has very little to do with reality.
That's not the kind of crap that I was talking about. What I was talking about is a system of time that is built around a perfect loop detail , a perfect load, a perfect set of circumstances (ie getting out of the building without having to wait on preload or late air), no meet points, no business being closed between noon and 1300. I can't speak for your building, but none of that happens on a routine here.
I know there is nothing in the contract regarding numbers, but there has to be some standard. Should we be allowed to deliver a dense,strictly residential area at 10 stops an hour when my great-grandmother could do 20 stops per hour?
Nor should we be expected to do 40 SPH.
Reckon your Great Granny would want to be my helper next Christmas? I'll be nice to her and give her a big 'ole tip on Christmas Eve.
The fact that its not in the contract and they give you crap about it is great! Because there is NOTHING they can do about it!
BINGO, we have a winner.
I just say I had a bad day and thats the end of it. I know it aggrivates you, but you do what they want by arguing with them. You get paid for the hours you work, they get paid to minimize YOUR hours. I wouldn't rub that point in their face when they are powerless change your hours. what is done is done the next day.
Well, I get tired of using the same old lines as hearing the same old lines.
You say "they get paid to minimize YOUR hours.", that's so simple to accomplish. Just cut back on the stops stuffed inside that package car. The truth is their job is to try to get more production in a shorter period of time. Another truth is, I get all I can done with the tools they provide. If they want me to produce a perfect day for them, just give me perfect tools to work with and see what happens.

DS

Fenderbender
trplnkl ,

I wouldn't rub that point in their face when they are powerless change your hours. what is done is done the next day.
brownie,if you dont let them know you are overdispatched,and make your point by calling for help every day,or bringing back missed deliveries nothing will ever change.I always make sure I tell my sup in the morning that I will probobly be calling for help around 1PM,often he makes the proper adjustments then and there.
If they are powerless to change our hours,how can you expect the impossible by giving us 11 hours work and expect it done in 9.5.
Its just plain stupid and makes the driver responsible for what is in fact THIER problem,not ours.

satellitedriver

Also, they want to know how many stops you have completed to get a complete picture of how your day is looking, so it is relevant.

Brownie
Sorry Brownie,
I'm with trpinkl on this one.
When you post;
"When I chat with my driver friends we always come to the conclusion that you can't fight management. You can, but it will be futile."
That's just a little to close to Borg speech for me.
PAX

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm with trp on this as well. There have been times where, even before my start time, that I have infomed my supervisor(s) that I will not be able to make 9.5. They respond wth either "why?," or "give me a call later and let me know how you look." I tell them it's not going to change. I sitll message in though around 2 or 3 and make them aware that I am still not going to make. I usually get nothing in return.

I alos use sarcasm as my weapon, trp. some get it and some don't.

I alos use sarcasm as my weapon, trp. some get it and some don't.

I used to think the reason some didn't get it was an inelegance factor, but then there can't be that many people that I have superior mind capacity over. I have finally come to the conclusion that in some cases it's that stick that prevents them from "getting it".

BTW, Browniehound, that remark isn't directed toward you per say.

Thanks Sat and Cement, I was beginning to think I was the only one.