Theoretical question

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What percentage of packages gets delivered if all management doesn't show up for just one day? We just all got sick.... Think that'd prove a point?

ADB8ED14-5796-41EB-B786-97BB6DF5A5C6.gif

542thruNthru

What percentage of packages gets delivered if all management doesn't show up for just one day? We just all got sick.... Think that'd prove a point?

Lol seriously? You really think you're that important of a cog in the machine? Just take a nice look at that 40% you got.

Every single package would get delivered. Hourlies don't have to care about stupid production numbers. So start times would be earlier across the board and cars wouldn't be cut. Drivers would communicate between each other and do what's best for the customer without fear of discipline.

But don't worry. UPS would still save money on it since they wouldn't have to pay you to check Facebook and Instagram for 80% of your day.

Hardest part would be OMS but I'm sure we could find a preloader to fill in and figure it out in about a hour. The rest of you guys are pretty much just there to get yelled at on the phone, especially if you're a On road sup lol!

RolloTony Brown Town

Lol seriously? You really think you're that important of a cog in the machine? Just take a nice look at that 40% you got.

Every single package would get delivered. Hourlies don't have to care about stupid production numbers. So start times would be earlier across the board and cars wouldn't be cut. Drivers would communicate between each other and do what's best for the customer without fear of discipline.

But don't worry. UPS would still save money on it since they wouldn't have to pay you to check Facebook and Instagram for 80% of your day.

Hardest part would be OMS but I'm sure we could find a preloader to fill in and figure it out in about a hour. The rest of you guys are pretty much just there to get yelled at on the phone, especially if you're a On road sup lol!

If all of the package cars were loaded when the drivers show up then mostly everything will get delivered.

If there’s no one there to dispatch then the preloaders would be lost. If planes are late then air could be an issue without anyone to coordinate (no matter whether you like the way your local management does it).

not to mention the cover drivers would complain over who gets to cover what. Someone would call out cause someone always calls out.

let’s not pretend that every driver communicates with each other about misloads and issues with on call pickups or even the illustrious PM dispatch.

You have to remember the OP is saying if management called in! Not if the rank and file ran the business... We’re all very much aware that if it were up to you (the driver) every driver could decide how much or little work they want to do. No one would be held to any standards. Service would be through the roof and the company profits would plummet because every driver available would be working.

But like I said: If the trucks were loaded the drivers don’t need much direction to punch in and do their jobs. 9/10 drivers come in and bust arse everyday.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
If all of the package cars were loaded when the drivers show up then mostly everything will get delivered.

If there’s no one there to dispatch then the preloaders would be lost. If planes are late then air could be an issue without anyone to coordinate (no matter whether you like the way your local management does it).

not to mention the cover drivers would complain over who gets to cover what. Someone would call out cause someone always calls out.

let’s not pretend that every driver communicates with each other about misloads and issues with on call pickups or even the illustrious PM dispatch.

You have to remember the OP is saying if management called in! Not if the rank and file ran the business... We’re all very much aware that if it were up to you (the driver) every driver could decide how much or little work they want to do. No one would be held to any standards. Service would be through the roof and the company profits would plummet because every driver available would be working.

But like I said: If the trucks were loaded the drivers don’t need much direction to punch in and do their jobs. 9/10 drivers come in and bust arse everyday.
Power outage...no dispatch computers...no orion.... no supe from the center manager on down could dispatch the building without the drivers knowledge. Sorry.

We'd be self directed just like in the mid 90s and we'd make it work. You and your lackies would be in the way.

RolloTony Brown Town

Power outage...no dispatch computers...no orion.... no supe from the center manager on down could dispatch the building without the drivers knowledge. Sorry.

We'd be self directed just like in the mid 90s and we'd make it work. You and your lackies would be in the way.

yawn...

dream on. It’s not back in the day anymore. Half the guys that drive now don’t have any pre EDD experience...

if there was a power outage everyone would be screwed but let’s not pretend the generation of drivers that are working these days (nevermind the preloaders) would know what to do.

And we’re not even talking about section loading, delivering without knowledge of what’s in the back of the truck... The drivers that came on after EDD came out wouldn’t make it.

542thruNthru

Like everyday. :)

Preloaders would figure it out, depending on the size of the building. Plus from what I'm told the dispatch plan is already built into the system it just needs tweaking everyday because of volume and what IE says you can run that day. No managment means we just run it all. Won't be perfect but it will work. Late air is a management issue and also not what the op said. Every air my be late but it would get delivered.

1 day with no managment... yeah I'm pretty sure everyone would just band together and just get the job done. Mainly because managment assigns routes by numbers not by who wants to do the route. Might be some gripping but again all the packages would get delivered.

If all of management called out... I'm pretty sure everyone would know to communicate with each other and any misloads that someone didn't want to do... there is always a OT whore out there that will be glad to run them later. You guys just don't let them because of... wait for it... your numbers.

We're talking about 1 day remember? Pretty sure its managment on the next day that will suffer for bad profits. We'll still deliver every package like always though. ;)

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

Call out and prove us wrong.

RolloTony Brown Town

@542thruNthru You are living in a dream world. Preloaders would show up and think the building is closed! Lol

I’ll compromise though. If there was a dispatch plan in place and everyone knew that no one was coming in then yea the employees know what to do. Is that fair?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
@542thruNthru You are living in a dream world. Preloaders would show up and think the building is closed! Lol

I’ll compromise though. If there was a dispatch plan in place and everyone knew that no one was coming in then yea the employees know what to do. Is that fair?
Some of school preloader will dig out the old load charts and you guys are royally screwed. Say you are not but you know you are.

542thruNthru

Works for me. :)

I just like giving you guys a hard time because we're treated like we're easily replaced and some how management isn't.

I will say one thing.

I know how much would get delivered if every single hourly called in sick just 1 day and it's for sure a hell of a lot less then if management called out. ;)

RolloTony Brown Town

I will say one thing.

I know how much would get delivered if every single hourly called in sick just 1 day and it's for sure a hell of a lot less then if management called out. ;)

I know. It hasn’t gone lost on me that the employees do the work and you need staffing to move everything.

I actually worked with a woman who hated (haaaaaaated) drivers. I had to remind her of that. If they all call out we’re screwed.

542thruNthru

I know. It hasn’t gone lost on me that the employees do the work and you need staffing to move everything.

I actually worked with a woman who hated (haaaaaaated) drivers. I had to remind her of that. If they all call out we’re screwed.

See this is the kind of the mentality... I don't work for you. I'm not your employee. I work for UPS same as you. :)