Theoretical question

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I know. It hasn’t gone lost on me that the employees do the work and you need staffing to move everything.

I actually worked with a woman who hated (haaaaaaated) drivers. I had to remind her of that. If they all call out we’re screwed.
Our center manager is 90 miles away and when our on road is off, nobody replaces him. Thing go just fine without both of them. Think about that for a little bit.... looks like part time management is the way to make the shareholders happy.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Power outage...no dispatch computers...no orion.... no supe from the center manager on down could dispatch the building without the drivers knowledge. Sorry.

We'd be self directed just like in the mid 90s and we'd make it work. You and your lackies would be in the way.
Somebody would need to be there to tell the preloaders when they could go on break.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
What percentage of packages gets delivered if all management doesn't show up for just one day? We just all got sick.... Think that'd prove a point?

Depends on what levels:

Corporate Management: 100% for the entire month, forget about 1 day...

Operational Management (those who get MIP stock) Not including the OMS's and Dispatchers (technically non union clerks) and our part time supervisors (technically non union grunts). Let us say 90 %..

Now if every Union employee with over 20 years in failed to show up to work for one day...I guess it would be at 5 %..

Rubber Puckies

I was hoping for more responses from anyone in management. Someone needs to unlock the door. If nobody turned on the computer, how are you going to load the vehicles? Sorry, but you're not getting 8 trailers sorted/loaded/delivered without it. My guess would be 50%, and that's probably being generous.

Again this thread was supposed to be for management. I'm not questioning the work ethic of a Teamster.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
I know. It hasn’t gone lost on me that the employees do the work and you need staffing to move everything.

I actually worked with a woman who hated (haaaaaaated) drivers. I had to remind her of that. If they all call out we’re screwed.

Thought that .4 mip would have reminded the employees of who is really in charge. Guess not. Some folks are just really hard headed.

We are ALL just employed here. Sometimes you have these intense conference calls (yawn), sometimes we have 11 hours days. All in a day's work.

RolloTony Brown Town

I was hoping for more responses from anyone in management. Someone needs to unlock the door. If nobody turned on the computer, how are you going to load the vehicles? Sorry, but you're not getting 8 trailers sorted/loaded/delivered without it. My guess would be 50%, and that's probably being generous.

Again this thread was supposed to be for management. I'm not questioning the work ethic of a Teamster.

unfortunately this message board is mostly union members. I understood what you were initially saying.

The fact that the drivers and other teamsters on this site are confident in their ability isn’t a negative thing. Just like I don’t want or need anyone’s endorsement of my ability to pull a route, load cars, unload, sort, shift trailers, do CPUs, run a feeder job blah blah blah... They don’t want or need mine.

I think everyone here was reading into your initial post a little bit. The comparison’s made by other replies...

“if the pt sups and OMS’s were here”

“if the dispatcher was in”

“on road supervisors just play on their cell phone all day”

The reality is we’re all in this together. The us versus them mentality is what we’re taught by those that were here before us. If we’re going to deliver everything, which is the goal, everyone is needed.

bumped

yawn...

dream on. It’s not back in the day anymore. Half the guys that drive now don’t have any pre EDD experience...

if there was a power outage everyone would be screwed but let’s not pretend the generation of drivers that are working these days (nevermind the preloaders) would know what to do.

And we’re not even talking about section loading, delivering without knowledge of what’s in the back of the truck... The drivers that came on after EDD came out wouldn’t make it.

What's funny about this is there have been a few times my EDD wasn't released, and I left anyways to deliver old school. A young on car asks how I could deliver in the Sups office. The dispatcher turns around and tells him that's how we used to do it. They weren't happy I left without edd. Apparently the sups can't see me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
unfortunately this message board is mostly union members. I understood what you were initially saying.

The fact that the drivers and other teamsters on this site are confident in their ability isn’t a negative thing. Just like I don’t want or need anyone’s endorsement of my ability to pull a route, load cars, unload, sort, shift trailers, do CPUs, run a feeder job blah blah blah... They don’t want or need mine.

I think everyone here was reading into your initial post a little bit. The comparison’s made by other replies...

“if the pt sups and OMS’s were here”

“if the dispatcher was in”

“on road supervisors just play on their cell phone all day”

The reality is we’re all in this together. The us versus them mentality is what we’re taught by those that were here before us. If we’re going to deliver everything, which is the goal, everyone is needed.

Good luck,this is the bed you all made

Not many folks show up wanting to be dicks but after being kicked enough times a dog bites back

Joe brown

Lol seriously? You really think you're that important of a cog in the machine? Just take a nice look at that 40% you got.

Every single package would get delivered. Hourlies don't have to care about stupid production numbers. So start times would be earlier across the board and cars wouldn't be cut. Drivers would communicate between each other and do what's best for the customer without fear of discipline.

But don't worry. UPS would still save money on it since they wouldn't have to pay you to check Facebook and Instagram for 80% of your day.

Hardest part would be OMS but I'm sure we could find a preloader to fill in and figure it out in about a hour. The rest of you guys are pretty much just there to get yelled at on the phone, especially if you're a On road sup lol!
So true

Karma...

imagine how much money ups would make benefiting the next contract if we all pulled together......and yes we need m.a.r as a standard...........in the old days we would say and believe that we ( ups) went in and out of business everyday......if ups went under where would the teamsters go ?....no one would hire them.......we are all mutually dependent on each other.......we have to keep the service going and the money flowing.........I never viewed it as a parasitic relationship......

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
If all of the package cars were loaded when the drivers show up then mostly everything will get delivered.

If there’s no one there to dispatch then the preloaders would be lost. If planes are late then air could be an issue without anyone to coordinate (no matter whether you like the way your local management does it).

not to mention the cover drivers would complain over who gets to cover what. Someone would call out cause someone always calls out.

let’s not pretend that every driver communicates with each other about misloads and issues with on call pickups or even the illustrious PM dispatch.

You have to remember the OP is saying if management called in! Not if the rank and file ran the business... We’re all very much aware that if it were up to you (the driver) every driver could decide how much or little work they want to do. No one would be held to any standards. Service would be through the roof and the company profits would plummet because every driver available would be working.

But like I said: If the trucks were loaded the drivers don’t need much direction to punch in and do their jobs. 9/10 drivers come in and bust arse everyday.
The preloaders would be lost?

Sweetheart. Your plan sucked today. You messed up every last dump stop in all three of my trucks. And then didn't print any load charts, so I couldn't see at a glance what management had changed.
I spent my morning rearranging everything y'all screwed up so it was all in the right spot.

If management would just let preloaders stay in one area for a few years to learn it, we absolutely don't need you.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
if ups went under where would the teamsters go ?....no one would hire them.......
Literally any logistics company.

Y'all aren't the only game in town, and y'all aren't even the only decent paying game in town.
Your statement is baseless.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
imagine how much money ups would make benefiting the next contract if we all pulled together......and yes we need m.a.r as a standard...........in the old days we would say and believe that we ( ups) went in and out of business everyday......if ups went under where would the teamsters go ?....no one would hire them.......we are all mutually dependent on each other.......we have to keep the service going and the money flowing.........I never viewed it as a parasitic relationship......

In theory that would be great The problem is the culture on both sides is and has been for a very long time us against them

Nothing will ever change until the us vs them changes.
Nobody shows up on day one saying I’am not gonna do anymore than I absolutely have to.After getting yelled at and berated forced to memorize ignorant drivel enough times they say to hell with it

Karma...

you are correct...being adversarys costs everyone money...its counter productive...we lost a great deal when everyone started off in the union and took different jobs from there........I dont say worked their way up because we all are upsets and just do different jobs for a variety of reasons......

What'dyabringmetoday???

yawn...

dream on. It’s not back in the day anymore. Half the guys that drive now don’t have any pre EDD experience...

if there was a power outage everyone would be screwed but let’s not pretend the generation of drivers that are working these days (nevermind the preloaders) would know what to do.

And we’re not even talking about section loading, delivering without knowledge of what’s in the back of the truck... The drivers that came on after EDD came out wouldn’t make it.
Who's idea was that?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Kill the MIP or whatever bonus and let sunrise/preloaders get 8-9 hours. Brag about how UPS can offer a "living" PT wage and you'll get people who will show up on time that can pass a drug test. And cut it to 3 trucks again.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Kill the MIP or whatever bonus and let sunrise/preloaders get 8-9 hours. Brag about how UPS can offer a "living" PT wage and you'll get people who will show up on time that can pass a drug test. And cut it to 3 trucks again.

Never going to happen. MIP is what keeps a lot of operations people around.

Do you really think a pre-loader wants to work 8-9 hours?

Instead of PT you would now be FT.

Have you really thought this out......?