These Recession Signals are Flashing...

Thebrownblob

So you’re not really talking about politics, but about capitalism. Politics only affects the economy on the periphery and the last forty years have been about politics working to satisfy the economy. From tax codes to interest rates, everything has brought us here:

Average home. $481000
Average car. $45000

Average income. $57406
I bought a brand new house in 2006 right before the 2008 crash I paid $245,000.

It’s now estimated to be worth over 550k with newer houses built around me going for even more.

I don’t think I could afford this house now if I bought it new today.

This is a bad omen for young people starting out.

It’s now estimated to be worth over 550k with newer houses built around me going for even more.

That's why I paid for most of my kids college.
I try to give them a good start off on life now they are both homeowners

If they had to buy a house right now they both told me they could not afford it

Bad things start to happen when societies youth begin to feel like they cannot be part of the economy.
Both of my kids told me just besides the price of a housing right now they cannot afford a mortgage at 7 or 8%

But on the other hand my mortgage was at that rate when I bought my house but housing was much more affordable back then

Thebrownblob

Both of my kids told me just besides the price of a housing right now they cannot afford a mortgage at 7 or 8%

But on the other hand my mortgage was at that rate when I bought my house but housing was much more affordable back then
But now we have the worst of both worlds, extremely high prices, and extremely high interest rates. I believe I paid about 5% when I first got this house but I was able to refinance for 2.5% a few years later a 15 years mortgage. Those are once in a lifetime rates. I don’t think anyone will ever see those rates again in our lifetime.

bbsam

Staff member
Bad things start to happen when societies youth begin to feel like they cannot be part of the economy.
Even worse when it’s more than a feeling.

I have a junior in college a senior in high school and a junior in high school. So far we’ve been able to avoid student loans. The problem I see (maybe an opportunity) is that I’m not even sure a college degree is even worth a damn anymore. Even an advanced degree has a payoff so far in the future as to cause skepticism.

Thebrownblob

Even worse when it’s more than a feeling.

I have a junior in college a senior in high school and a junior in high school. So far we’ve been able to avoid student loans. The problem I see (maybe an opportunity) is that I’m not even sure a college degree is even worth a damn anymore. Even an advanced degree has a payoff so far in the future as to cause skepticism.
I agree with you. I have helped my kids steer clear of as many student loans as possible. I still think college education is a good thing for certain degrees, but there’s a lot of fluff out there that can totally ruin your life with loans.

Not including secondary and tertiary fees/taxes/etc.

$80k (my first house in 2002) financed at 7% is about $565/mo
$285k at 7% is $1,896/mo
$400k (avg home price with 20% down) is $2,661/mo.

Now, make that $480k home purchase with only 5% down and add PMI...over $3,200

Up In Smoke

Dent has written many books and predicted many market moves. He predicted the "roaring 2000s" and a Dow of 35000 by 2009 and we all know how that ended up. He also predicted in 2008 the "The Great Depression Ahead" for markets in the next decade only to see the Dow go from 6,600 to 30,000. He then predicted the Dow to drop to 5,000 following the election of Trump in 2016. He sells books and people listen to him, but like most "experts", he has no crystal ball.

vantexan

So you’re not really talking about politics, but about capitalism. Politics only affects the economy on the periphery and the last forty years have been about politics working to satisfy the economy. From tax codes to interest rates, everything has brought us here:

Average home. $481000
Average car. $45000

Average income. $57406
Don't worry, an immutable law of economics is when you run out of buyers prices drop. More and more people are being priced out of the market. And politics matter. If an administration is telling you ICE cars are being removed as an option and EV's are more expensive and there's no grid capable yet to support them then those politics are going to affect your everyday life.

vantexan

Dent has written many books and predicted many market moves. He predicted the "roaring 2000s" and a Dow of 35000 by 2009 and we all know how that ended up. He also predicted in 2008 the "The Great Depression Ahead" for markets in the next decade only to see the Dow go from 6,600 to 30,000. He then predicted the Dow to drop to 5,000 following the election of Trump in 2016. He sells books and people listen to him, but like most "experts", he has no crystal ball.
He was predicting the "Big One" by June '23. Didn't happen. But he has very interesting takes on demographics. A lot more people than he are predicting a major crash and looking at what Warren Buffet has sold recently I think major players are covering themselves.

vantexan

Also the sign of a huge bubble.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't worry, an immutable law of economics is when you run out of buyers prices drop. More and more people are being priced out of the market. And politics matter. If an administration is telling you ICE cars are being removed as an option and EV's are more expensive and there's no grid capable yet to support them then those politics are going to affect your everyday life.
You’re talking about massive deflation. The economy will respond with massive layoffs? The government? Massive stimulus. And the cycle of madness continues.

You’re talking about massive deflation. The economy will respond with massive layoffs? The government? Massive stimulus. And the cycle of madness continues.
We can't afford that
Screenshot_20240101-115953.png

Meat

Also the sign of a huge bubble.

Supply will remain low and demand will remain high for the foreseeable future.

If, for some unknown reason, there was a flood of properties that hit the market, younger buyers waiting out the boom will be ready to purchase homes, which will beget another boom.