These Republicans Want to Take Away Your Weekend

wkmac

From the article:

The new bill, which is being sponsored by Republican Van Wanggaard in the State Senate alongside Born in the Assembly, would add a provision to the “day of rest” law that could effectively nullify it. The bill would create an exemption that would allow employees to “voluntarily choose” to slave away for seven days in a row without at least twenty-four hours of rest.

The employee chooses and the problem here is what?

According to the article only 13 states have this law and most of the people I talk with who work 7 days a week are more often than not self employed or owners of companies in some form. Seems to me The Nation is reaching on this one.

Since the matter has come up, I hold no belief in some supernatural sky god but I've always admired the late Truett Cathy whose Chik-Fli-A stores are closed on Sunday as a matter of Corp. policy. Regardless if I and the man disagree on other matters, I admire the man who stands on a principle that takes money out of his pocket. Cathy truly believed that man needed a day of rest every week and I think the bible does have a point on this one. A salute to Mr. Cathy on presenting a market model that works and profits on 6 days and not 7.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
A lot of people in health care work a 7/70 schedule. 7 days 10 hours a day. Then they get a week off.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A lot of people in health care work a 7/70 schedule. 7 days 10 hours a day. Then they get a week off.

This isn't what we're talking about here. The GOP went straight to work trying to dismantle every labor gain possible after Walker pushed through RTW. This is exactly what the Koch Brothers are paying for, and they'll get paid back more than they have invested into tools like Walker.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What's the matter with working 7 days a week ?
For years I did a 6 day week at UPS .
And my rewards is that I will be able to retire while I'm still young .

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
What's the matter with working 7 days a week ?
For years I did a 6 day week at UPS .
And my rewards is that I will be able to retire while I'm still young .
One of my sons works 6 days a week now in a non-RTW state.

And it won't effect UPS employees in Wisconsin since we don't have factories at UPS.

BrownArmy

...And it won't effect UPS employees in Wisconsin since we don't have factories at UPS.

Do you disagree that there is a consistent right-wing push to dismantle labor rights?

All the gains from protests and worker mobilization/unionization in the first 'gilded age' are now being dismantled in this second 'gilded age'.

Discuss.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Do you disagree that there is a consistent right-wing push to dismantle labor rights?

All the gains from protests and worker mobilization/unionization in the first 'gilded age' are now being dismantled in this second 'gilded age'.

Discuss.
What labor rights?

Weekends?

You're reaching.

BrownArmy

What labor rights?

Weekends?

You're reaching.

Um...you don't often disappoint me, but I'm game.

Are you seriously questioning 'labor rights', that have been hard fought and won?

You, the champion of RTW?

One of those is the concept of the 'weekend'.

In the 'olden' days, there was a sign at the walk-in gate:

"If you don't show up Sunday, don't bother showing up Monday".

Please, I know your game is better.

wkmac

You know, the proper response from democrats on this issue is to propose adding a 3rd day to the existing weekend under the argument that science has proven the current weekend model has in fact gotten shorter.

Politically speaking, I'd bet this issue would be a real winner!

wkmac

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see UPS start Sunday deliveries next contract. USPS is already delivering Amazon Prime on Sundays.

When I first came to work for UPS, I worked 11 pm to 8 am getting off on Saturday morning. About 4 am the Preload was complete and by 6 am all UPS vehicles including feeders were parked inside and my last job of the morning was to power down all lights at the electrical panels and lock all doors. Just after 8 am, the feeder dispatch sup, the last auto mechanic and myself would leave being the last ones out and the building would remain empty until Monday morning about 3 am when the dayshift PE crew came in to turn on the lights, unlock the doors and hit the coffee machine.

Then something called Next Day Air started and everything changed. I sure miss those simple days.

Anybody remember Blue Label? ;)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well, you gotta keep up with your competitors I guess.
I don't mind working Saturday Air, it's easy money and otherwise I would probably just sleep through the morning. I wouldn't mind switching a Saturday out for a Sunday every now and then. As long as the employee chooses to work, I don't see any problem with it.

wkmac

Read your supplement----I would be bet that it already has language for an alternate work schedule.

It does and all of them will. The biggest driver of that was the Air segment. Same is true of Holiday pay when working those and if it's an air only day or not. And we already have UPSers who work Sunday as I could have worked this coming Sunday as we are doing a full electrical shutdown and taking the building off the grid to do a full electrical PMI. I've always done it in the past but this time I let the Jr. man have it. Bet I still get a phone call when they go to bring the sortation computers back on line. But it's my last so what the heck! ;)

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Coming from a site which has a "SERIOUS" article describing what would happen if that obese blowhard Michael Moore would be elected president?

Um, no thanks.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When I first came to work for UPS, I worked 11 pm to 8 am getting off on Saturday morning. About 4 am the Preload was complete and by 6 am all UPS vehicles including feeders were parked inside and my last job of the morning was to power down all lights at the electrical panels and lock all doors. Just after 8 am, the feeder dispatch sup, the last auto mechanic and myself would leave being the last ones out and the building would remain empty until Monday morning about 3 am when the dayshift PE crew came in to turn on the lights, unlock the doors and hit the coffee machine.

Then something called Next Day Air started and everything changed. I sure miss those simple days.

Anybody remember Blue Label? ;)
Blue Label was a second day service only to selective zip codes .