Thinking about leaving this bad place.

PizzaToUps

But being able to eat is priority 1. So if your only alternative is pizza delivery, stick with UPS.

Haha I delivered pizzas while I got my bachelors in psychology. The degree is worthless to me though because I don't want to enter that field. I studied psych because it was the only subject I found extremely interesting. I was considering getting into IT because I love computers and grew up building my own instead of buying them due to the fact you could get a better bang for your buck that way.

I just know getting into a new field without any work experience is an upward battle of accepting entry level jobs that pay minimum wage until I get certifications and job experience.

PizzaToUps

Many drivers have a college education. They make more here than the jobs they went to school for. I get six weeks vacation plus 10 additional days

One reason why I took the job in the first place! I guess having that education is making me second guess my self because at some point down the road I won't be able to have that choice to switch careers when I have a wife and kids. Leaving ups for an unknown career is full of what ifs and that unknown is scary. I just don't want to regret anything and having too many choices in life is hard sometimes.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hey man, I really appreciate your response. You seem like a genuinely great person and I love your attitude. I have a bachelors in psychology but there isn't really anything that I want to do with the degree. I chose psychology because I found it to be interesting and that's it. I refuse to go into management because they seem to be more miserable than the drivers and our on roads seem to work even longer hours. when and if I do ever have a family, I want to be able to get off at 5-6 PM and be able to coach little league or cook wife and kids dinner but I realize that may be a pipe dream here.
i will never work at ups

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
61086897-6BFE-4C8D-9712-6C2A90CE3139.jpeg
One reason why I took the job in the first place! I guess having that education is making me second guess my self because at some point down the road I won't be able to have that choice to switch careers when I have a wife and kids. Leaving ups for an unknown career is full of what ifs and that unknown is scary. I just don't want to regret anything and having too many choices in life is hard sometimes.

That’s what I say when iam at the booze store

PizzaToUps

Also I probably shouldn't have reworded by title. I shouldn't have said that "UPS is a bad place" I didn't make this thread to vent and hate on the company.

Over 70

Hello all, I have been working for the ups company for two whole months now and I am thinking about leaving. I wanted to be a ups driver after having a career of delivering pizzas but after loading trucks for the last 60+ days I am second guessing if I want to become a driver for the next 25+ years. Here is what I learned in my 60 days as a preloader.

The drivers who come in are insanely depressed and worn out physically and mentally. I don't know how many drivers that I load for complain to dispatch because they were given an extra split or that their back hurts. These drivers complain that they have 200+ stops and pick ups. These people just seem like they hate their life but they have worked for the company for too damn long to think about leaving to start a new career. They feel that if they left now, all the years spent to be a driver would be a waste.

There is also another driver that I load for who works 10-12 hours a day and he just recently told me that he got a divorce and his wife gets the majority of the custody because he's never around to go to their softball games or back to school nights. He told me how depressing it is to leave his house in the dark to go to work and doesn't return home until after dark as well. He said its heart breaking to see families huddled around the living room watching a movie or eating dinner while he's delivering pointless Amazon packages at 8:30-9:00 PM.

The money made as a driver is great but I feel that a lot of drivers are trapped or complacent and stop counts are only going to rise in the future because it seems like management would rather pay 4 drivers 12 hours of work then pay 6 drivers 8 hours each.

It's depressing to me to see in the 60 days that I have been there so many people complaining that their knees are shot, that their backs ache, or that they think they tore something in the shoulder. I have seen a lot of people go on disability to get surgerys.

sorry for the rant, I just feel like you drivers go through a lot of crap and your home life suffers because of it due to the constant increases of stops and expectations and it doesn't seem to look any better in the future now that we are offering Saturday ground now. Yes the money is great but money doesn't buy happiness.

In addition, I know a lot of you hard workers are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.

There was a 30 year circle of honor driver who told me "get out while you still can!" Every single day I saw him for over a year. He was dead serious. When I got out and ran into him recently he was legitimately happy that I did and said it was the single best decision of my life. He said while the job used to be decent, regardless of the money it's a horrible place to be anymore and he's glad he's about done.

For what it's worth...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There was a 30 year circle of honor driver who told me "get out while you still can!" Every single day I saw him for over a year. He was dead serious. When I got out and ran into him recently he was legitimately happy that I did and said it was the single best decision of my life. He said while the job used to be decent, regardless of the money it's a horrible place to be anymore and he's glad he's about done.

For what it's worth...

I got out four years ago after 34 1/2 years.

I was in a smaller center, and it was never that bad, but the writing was on the wall.

Even being an old retired prick now, I couldn't be happier.

Over 70

I got out four years ago after 34 1/2 years.

I was in a smaller center, and it was never that bad, but the writing was on the wall.

Even being an old retired prick now, I couldn't be happier.

Yeah it's not that it couldn't be a decent career for a time, it's just getting hard to be an entire career.

E

el blanco

Hello all, I have been working for the ups company for two whole months now and I am thinking about leaving. I wanted to be a ups driver after having a career of delivering pizzas but after loading trucks for the last 60+ days I am second guessing if I want to become a driver for the next 25+ years. Here is what I learned in my 60 days as a preloader.

The drivers who come in are insanely depressed and worn out physically and mentally. I don't know how many drivers that I load for complain to dispatch because they were given an extra split or that their back hurts. These drivers complain that they have 200+ stops and pick ups. These people just seem like they hate their life but they have worked for the company for too damn long to think about leaving to start a new career. They feel that if they left now, all the years spent to be a driver would be a waste.

There is also another driver that I load for who works 10-12 hours a day and he just recently told me that he got a divorce and his wife gets the majority of the custody because he's never around to go to their softball games or back to school nights. He told me how depressing it is to leave his house in the dark to go to work and doesn't return home until after dark as well. He said its heart breaking to see families huddled around the living room watching a movie or eating dinner while he's delivering pointless Amazon packages at 8:30-9:00 PM.

The money made as a driver is great but I feel that a lot of drivers are trapped or complacent and stop counts are only going to rise in the future because it seems like management would rather pay 4 drivers 12 hours of work then pay 6 drivers 8 hours each.

It's depressing to me to see in the 60 days that I have been there so many people complaining that their knees are shot, that their backs ache, or that they think they tore something in the shoulder. I have seen a lot of people go on disability to get surgerys.

sorry for the rant, I just feel like you drivers go through a lot of crap and your home life suffers because of it due to the constant increases of stops and expectations and it doesn't seem to look any better in the future now that we are offering Saturday ground now. Yes the money is great but money doesn't buy happiness.

In addition, I know a lot of you hard workers are going to say things like "bye rookie, stupid millennial, or this guy doesn't get it" but I'm just reporting what I have seen as a preloader in my 60 days working at UPS and talking to some senior drivers. I respect all of you for what you do.

wise beyond your years
leave and don't look back