Thinking back to the days i couldnt visualize everything around me feels weird

trickpony1

Knowing a large area so intimately also makes me truly realize how small the world really is. It's amazes me in so many ways. We aren't alone, we aren't isolated, we aren't much different than the next person. People are just trying to manage, to survive. Most people are good, albeit looking out only for themselves, living their lives behind the walls that serve to pit them against others that are just like themselves. We're all going about our daily lives, and the areas that we aren't in are still vibrantly existential. Driving everyday, some weeks on a different route every day, has made me understand the depth of human existence in a different way.

All I want to envision is my route...I have tried to forget everything about all other routes.
That's my modus operandi! As soon as I bid another route, I forget the other one. Sup comes to me and asks if I will come off my bid route to run an old one, my response is, "I don't remember that route".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you're ever interested in buying new real estate, you'll know where to look.

This is how I ended up buying my condo. I drove by the complex every day and liked the curb appeal. The owner worked at the college library and told me that she turned down a slightly higher offer to accept mine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's amazing how leaving off the words "up to", which may seem trivial, can end up being very costly.

Rather than saying she would pay up to $5,300 in closing costs she agreed to pay $5,300. My closing costs were only $4,600. After much discussion they knocked $700 off of the negotiated price. Add to that my free legal representation and I saved well over $1K at closing.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
After 3 years air driving and 3 years covering i feel like i can envision entire cities/neighborhoods and the inside of every business when i look in any direction. Regular people can just visual the major roads and what not but i can visualize everything miles in every direction.

Not saying this in a cocky way, just saying thinking back to when i couldn't feels weird. I really like that aspect of the job. It made me really into google maps. Like i will sit on google maps and scroll though different major cities to get a real sense of them. Other aspects of the job blow. Like constantly being stressed/exhausted/no free time but i really like that aspect of it. It makes me happy i get paid to explore.

#sorryforpositivepost
You're not the only one. I know my delivery area better than where I live and do the same thing every time I look out. Plus I also find myself playing around on Bing maps even more than I already did.

JL 0513

You're not the only one. I know my delivery area better than where I live and do the same thing every time I look out. Plus I also find myself playing around on Bing maps even more than I already did.

Yeah, I now know many areas far better than my own neighborhood, especially since I live in the city. Naturally, I don't drive up and down the surroundings streets over and over. Most of us just come and go directly to our home so the surroundings aren't too familiar. I'm a UPS driver that doesn't know the street names 3 blocks away from my own home. But I know many thousands of other addresses off hand and can visualize them in detail.

rod

Retired 22 years
There is something about a UPS driver and their sense of direction. Someone could blindfold me and spin me around a dozen times and I can always seem to tell which way is north. Sometimes that's not a good thing because I find myself second guessing the GPS unit frequently----which really pissses off the wife.

There is something about a UPS driver and their sense of direction. Someone could blindfold me and spin me around a dozen times and I can always seem to tell which way is north. Sometimes that's not a good thing because I find myself second guessing the GPS unit frequently----which really pissses off the wife.
Yeah, but have you ever gone in the back to sort your load and then when you hopped back in the driver seat, it took you a second or two to remember where you were parked? LOL

Box Ox

but i can visualize everything miles in every direction.

I know what you mean.

When I realize I can run an area without a GPS or map book, I'm like:

ne.jpg