Thinking of going back to UPS after 8 year hiatus...

Morrissey

Hello guys, this is my first post but I've been reading a lot of great stuff on here the last couple of weeks. Hopefully some of you can provide some input on my situation. Anyway, on to my question...

I previously worked at UPS between 1999 and 2004 as a part-time Unloader/Sorter/Mule Shifter while I was in college. Once I earned my degree, I immediately got a "real job" and moved to a different city. 8 years later, my company decided to relocate across the country and I chose not to follow them. The problem I have in finding another "real job" is that in those 8 years I've obtained 2 DUI's (I had a drinking problem and have been sober for 3 years now). Every time I get called back for an interview I have to disclose my criminal record and it's always a deal breaker. I know I :censored2: UP and trust me, I've learned my lesson...

So, being that my career options are somewhat limited at this point, I applied online for a part-time Package Handler position at my old hub and have an interview scheduled for next week. My plan is to start at the bottom again (I have no choice) and slowly build up my seniority again and (hopefully) one day be allowed to drive a package car.

Do you think my 2 DUI's will hinder my chances at getting re-hired as a part-time Package Handler? Should I disclose this at the interview or let them find out? Will they even care if the application only asks you list felonies? Will I ever be allowed to drive? Does my previous service count towards my pension?

Thanks for all your input guys...hopefully I get the job!

Last edited:

ocnewguy

If they only ask for felonies (i forgot exactly how the ask on the app) you have no obligation to mention a misdemeanor. However when i was going through the process of getting hired a few months ago when i went back after the tour to do paperwork and sign off on the background check she asked if she was going to find anything criminal in my background. I said i got a dui 4 years ago and she said it shouldn't be a problem, which it didn't end up being.

I have no idea about having two but my guess is you'll be fine depending how far apart they were and how long ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
Did you get a Union withdrawl card when you left the last time? I'm fairly sure you have to do that to carry service time over with the Teamsters. (I could be wrong) Checking with the Union on if your previous time counts should be on the top of your things to do list if UPS offers you a job. Good luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
In many states a DUI is a felony.

From what I can find out it usually depends on if there was an accident envolved (especially an injury accident). Clyde Suckfinger getting pulled over because Barney Fife says he has a license plate light out (usually a crock of bull) and then found to be a fraction over the limit probably isn't going to be charged with a felony. I'm sure there are some states that differ.

UPSGUY72

You need to check the laws I'm your state as to how far back a employer can ask you about your record. There are limits. It should tell you on the paper you fill out. If not the employer is breaking the law.

Morrissey

UPDATE: I got re-hired as a seasonal Driver's Helper and my criminal record had no impact on getting the job. I asked if I would ever be allowed to drive and was told that as long as I haven't had a DUI in the last 3 years, I'm good. Hopefully I'll get re-hired part-time when the peak season is over. Does anyone know how likely it is for UPS to re-hire me once Christmas is over?

Thanks!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPDATE: I got re-hired as a seasonal Driver's Helper and my criminal record had no impact on getting the job. I asked if I would ever be allowed to drive and was told that as long as I haven't had a DUI in the last 3 years, I'm good. Hopefully I'll get re-hired part-time when the peak season is over. Does anyone know how likely it is for UPS to re-hire me once Christmas is over?

Thanks!

Likely. The part time turnover is pretty high. Convey a sense of urgency with your driver. He can put in a recommendation after peak is over.

DorkHead

Likely. The part time turnover is pretty high. Convey a sense of urgency with your driver. He can put in a recommendation after peak is over.

+1 and after peak go down to the terminal once a week IN PERSON and keep asking. Being persistent will show them your serious about wanting to work here.

happybob

Feeders
You will still want to contact the union about your situation, the sooner the better. Some locals will allow you to rejoin the union and pay the initiation fee instead of all the back dues you owe for not taking a withdrawal card. If the back dues are less than the reinitiation fee you can pay the back dues Good luck!

happybob

Feeders
If you do get rehired into a union position(not all driver helpers/seasonal positions are) and you adress the withdrawal card/back dues issue, you will then want to check with the Pension Fund in your area. Once you have enough years of contributions your pension is vested even if you never go back to a union job.

UPSGUY72

Thanks!

What ever you do don't get hurt as a helper UPS doesn't rehire helpers that have gotten hurt no matter how good of a job you did.