This Day in History......

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
@moreluck ,,,, helllllo!!’
Are you no longer keeping this enjoyable fact tid bit thread going ?? I miss this !!!!
In 1981.....
The Red Sox, due to a front office mistake, are forced to trade Fred Lynn, along with Steve Renko, to the Angels, for Jim Dorsey, Joe Rudi, and Frank Tanana. Boston had failed to mail their outfielder a new contract by the deadline, allowing the former Rookie of the Year to become a free agent.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In 1981.....
The Red Sox, due to a front office mistake, are forced to trade Fred Lynn, along with Steve Renko, to the Angels, for Jim Dorsey, Joe Rudi, and Frank Tanana. Boston had failed to mail their outfielder a new contract by the deadline, allowing the former Rookie of the Year to become a free agent.

Damn!!!!!

Probably FX'd it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
In 1981.....
Not exactly ,,, that was a trade ,, the Sox ownership was going through a power struggle at that time with buddy learue , John Harrington and I think Haywood Sullivan and Mrs Yawkey , The partnership was a mess and they didn’t want to pay free agents ,, Fisk was never mailed the contract , then signed with Chicago winter 81 , Lynn was traded before he was eligible to be a free agent , in a matter of months , we lost the whole middle. Fisk SS Burelson and cf Lynn ,,, dark days here !!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I was at opening day 81 ,, they booed the sheet outah Fisk !
Then he hits one over the monstah to beat bob Stanley and the Sox ,, fans then cheered like hell ,, I was 17 , my first and last opening day at Fenway

moreluck

golden ticket member
Jan. 24, 1935
Canned beer makes its debut on this day in 1935. In partnership with the American Can Company, the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company delivered 2,000 cans of Krueger’s Finest Beer and Krueger’s Cream Ale to faithful Krueger drinkers in Richmond, Virginia. Ninety-one percent of the drinkers approved of the canned beer, driving Krueger to give the green light to further production.

KOG72

I’m full of it
Jan. 24, 1935
Canned beer makes its debut on this day in 1935. In partnership with the American Can Company, the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company delivered 2,000 cans of Krueger’s Finest Beer and Krueger’s Cream Ale to faithful Krueger drinkers in Richmond, Virginia. Ninety-one percent of the drinkers approved of the canned beer, driving Krueger to give the green light to further production.
I bet @Gumby has that one in his fridge

moreluck

golden ticket member
Jan. 25, 1905
On January 25, 1905, at the Premier Mine in Pretoria, South Africa, a 3,106-carat diamond is discovered during a routine inspection by the mine’s superintendent. Weighing 1.33 pounds, and christened the “Cullinan,” it was the largest diamond ever found.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Jan. 25, 1905
On January 25, 1905, at the Premier Mine in Pretoria, South Africa, a 3,106-carat diamond is discovered during a routine inspection by the mine’s superintendent. Weighing 1.33 pounds, and christened the “Cullinan,” it was the largest diamond ever found.
Imagine wearing that thing around your neck on a necklace?

Good, now you know how Dolly Parton feels.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Jan. 26, 1979
On this day in 1979, “The Dukes of Hazzard,” a television comedy about two good-old-boy cousins in the rural South and their souped-up 1969 Dodge Charger known as the General Lee, debuts on CBS. The show, which originally aired for seven seasons, centered around cousins Bo Duke (John Schneider) and Luke Duke (Tom Wopat) and their ongoing efforts to elude their nemeses, the crooked county commissioner “Boss” Jefferson Davis Hogg (Sorrell Booke) and the bumbling Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane (James Best).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Jan. 27, 1888
On January 27, 1888, the National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C., for “the increase and diffusion of geographical knowledge.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
Jan. 27, 1951
Forcefully marking the continued importance of the West in the development of nuclear weaponry, the government detonates the first of a series of nuclear bombs at its new Nevada test site.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
January 27

1991 — The New York Giants defeat Buffalo 20-19 in Super Bowl XXV as Bills kicker Scott Norwood misses a 47-yard field goal attempt with eight seconds remaining.

@Future