Threatened with termination for refusing to help after a 10.5 day

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Pre-calling out...Listen up management on this board...you will win this one.

Get the shop steward, review with the employee about reporting to work (works even better if they have a denied PH, 8hr) document it. Let them call out day of absence. Terminate the minute they walk in the next day. Win, Win, Win, Win, Win for management been there, done that and that's how we play the game.

In your dreams.

A center manager can't make that call.

Now everyone is offended, go figure.

Brownslave wasn't asking - he was telling us he wouldn't be there. Totally different.

If you have no problem throwing a grievance on my desk every time you feel I violated the contract then I have no problem using the same contract against you every time you violate it.

As far as how I run my center and my employees, you have no clue and can only guess.

Your posts make me laugh.

I understand the need.. to try and BS readers of this Forum..

But, you have to "request" permission from the Labor Dept.

-Bug-

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You can request a personal day, get denied, and still call out sick with NO repercussions except a target on your back.

You can't fire a driver for calling out sick ever, especially if he/she has sick days. If there were no sick days available, you could give a warning letter for attendance, THAT'S IT.

In Dragon's scenario, he would of brought a steward in after you were denied a personal day but before you called out sick. Very unpractical and not the kind of steps a leader would take unless there was a mass attendance problem. The OP , as far as we know, did his 10.5 hours of work with no help but was low man on the totem pole and got forced to help more. DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A PROBLEM DRIVER

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I can't believe how many people in this thread explain being sick when they're calling in. You simply need to tell them you're taking a sick day. If they ask why you tell them it's personal and you'll be in the next day. If they continue advise them you have a day available and you're booking off in the required window. Have a good day and hang up. You only have to do it a couple times before they know not to mess with you. If they do continue past that, file a harassment grievance.

When I book off I tell them to put me in for a sick day and I'll be in tomorrow. I'll occasionally get the "oh come on man, I really need you today" to which I reply sorry, wish I could help ya, see you tomorrow." to which they reply ok and hang up.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Lot of good responses. Best thread of the evening, I love it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
There were good responses, but why on earth would you try to terminate for someone who didn't have an attendance problem booking off when you know there is no way in hell it will stick at panel and you'll be paying backpay when the person could have been working to earn the free money instead? I usually respect your posts but your previous post was just asinine.

Corky_Calhoun

There were good responses, but why on earth would you try to terminate for someone who didn't have an attendance problem booking off when you know there is no way in hell it will stick at panel and you'll be paying backpay when the person could have been working to earn the free money instead? I usually respect your posts but your previous post was just asinine.

Whoa, that's a power trip buzzkill.

When they try to play badarse with me, I go to the Dr. and get an excuse or 3 lol. It costs a $10 copay, but it's totally worth it if ya want to get in a pissing contest ;)

Sent using BrownCafe App

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Thanks for all the advice ... Maninbrown I'm from England , but I work here in dc ... Heffernan , we have had guys try and call in and be told that it's job abandonment if they don't come to work.

HAHAHAHAHA........

HAHAHAHAHAHa.......

brown_trousers

Why in the world would you burn a day for an 8 pm appointment?
In a normal job, that logic would make sense. But here at UPS you cant rely on clocking out at any specific time.

We all bid this job by our own free will, and it has always been well known that becoming a driver means giving up your personal life in exchange for a nice paycheck. This job comes as a package deal (pun intended) you dont get one without the other!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It's called hire a few more drivers..properly staff the damn operation....people once in a while need a day off at the last minute...not my problem you don't have enough backup help..totally unacceptable from a company standpoint.... how many times have we heard them try to drag us in when we were sick..etc....no other company does this except for the losers..