Threatened with termination for refusing to help after a 10.5 day

Overthepond

On Monday June 16 I was threatened with termination for refusing to go help a driver after I had done 200 stops .. I was sent a msg in my board at 630 pm to go help on a route even though I had 20+ left of my own and a misroute to run , and a ton of pick up pieces .... On returning to the building I was told that if didn't go back out to help I would be terminated by my supervisor and then again by my manager over a phone call . I told them I couldn't as I'm in the process of trying to sell my house and had papers to sign with my realtor , but I went back out anyway in fear of losing my job . I rescheduled my appt for today and the same thing happened , I told them I could bring in another guys pick up pieces and if possible take a few stops ( which I was unable to do ) I was greeted by my manager and told I had not followed orders and would be pulled in the office in the morning . My shop steward has filed for harassment against me . I should add that I'm a scratch/bonus driver and show up everyday to work and help out ALOT .

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Slow down. Don't be the one who's green light goes on every day, if you drop the anchor, you'll GET the help rather than BEING the help.

If you have an appointment in the evening, just call out, citing this as a reason why you feel there is no other option to make your obligation.

Play their games, just play them better

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
How's that running your arse off/ helping ALOT working out for you? Dude, you're making them look good on paper to their bosses, and making sure there is a little something extra in their pay envelope at Christmas. Ever wonder why they pile it on and give you extra work? Because you help them ALOT. You're just a number, not their buddy. Sounds like it's time to take an option 3 day. Celebrate with the wife. Don't think about this job for the whole day.

On Monday June 16 I was threatened with termination for refusing to go help a driver after I had done 200 stops .. I was sent a msg in my board at 630 pm to go help on a route even though I had 20+ left of my own and a misroute to run , and a ton of pick up pieces .... On returning to the building I was told that if didn't go back out to help I would be terminated by my supervisor and then again by my manager over a phone call . I told them I couldn't as I'm in the process of trying to sell my house and had papers to sign with my realtor , but I went back out anyway in fear of losing my job . I rescheduled my appt for today and the same thing happened , I told them I could bring in another guys pick up pieces and if possible take a few stops ( which I was unable to do ) I was greeted by my manager and told I had not followed orders and would be pulled in the office in the morning . My shop steward has filed for harassment against me . I should add that I'm a scratch/bonus driver and show up everyday to work and help out ALOT .
Work as directed. Get on the 9 5 list and then grieve it. If you are feeling harassed file a grievance. Learn how to play the game.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A) If they screw you, take the next day off
B) Do what they say, but make sure they regret it later on
C) SLOW DOWN
D) If you have something important to do that day, book off or have an 8 hour request made a week early
E) If it doesn't endanger your life, you have to work as directed, grieve later if necessary

This should get you through the next month

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've closed on homes it's simple. A few days before "I won't be here x day. I'm closing on a house". Management says blah blah blah we need your. Me. "I'm not asking you. Consider this my notice. I have informed you more than an hour before my start time"

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Never plan anything M-friend that requires you to get done "early"unless you have an 8hr request in, even then make it tentative. I would have just set a date for the closing and told them I wasn't going to be at work, just as the previous posters have said.

Ron Carey lives on

Im still trying to get past the 200 stops. WTF? Anytime I've ever been overloaded, call center and tell them you need someone to bring pick up pieces in. You are more than likely going over 12 hours, and you are just trying to work safely, make service on your airs and business and pick ups, put the ball in their court, relax and slow down

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited by a moderator:

Overthepond

Thanks for all the advice ... Maninbrown I'm from England , but I work here in dc ... Heffernan , we have had guys try and call in and be told that it's job abandonment if they don't come to work.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
, we have had guys try and call in and be told that it's job abandonment if they don't come to work.

One does not TRY to call out, one does. If you really need the day there should be no amount of greasing they can do to change your mind.

"Hi, this is xxxx and I'm sick"
"What do you mean you're sick?"
Cough, Click

It's that simple

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Time and time again, I hear split drivers asking me, "why don't you get that much work"? I smile and tell them, "slow down, work at a normal pace, and take lunch at the right time, and you will do less work too.

Thanks for all the advice ... Maninbrown I'm from England , but I work here in dc ... Heffernan , we have had guys try and call in and be told that it's job abandonment if they don't come to work.
There's your harassment grievance. When they say that tell them you are filing. Come in the next day and file.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

They can write you up for bad attendance, but calling out sick is not job abandonment by any stretch of the imagination.