Tie VS Monte

tieguy

Banned
To the rest here. Now that monte has been proven time and again by multiple posters to have a real issue with the truth and since he has shown himself to be rabidly obsessive I will banish him to my ignore list so you no longer have to watch me gut the lying pig.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
And miss all the fun? How dare you!

Monte

A 1% growth rate is losing volume or at least money. If the economy is growing at say 3% and you only increase 1%, you are going the wrong way.

As for 8% growth in international, I figured that it would be double that. Most companies that deal with international shipments like we, have experienced double digit growth in that sector for at least the last 5 years. To only be at 8%, while not bad, is not exactly leading the pack.

dont get me wrong, I perceive FedEx as a worthy competitor that has the capability and all the ex UPS employees to make things work.

Just my thoughts.

d

A

Anonymous spectator

Dannyboy,
your not reading montes post. The growth in the earnings report is comparing Fedex's 2nd quarter last year(2004) To this years(2005) volume growth. It is not comparing the 1st quarter to the 2nd quarter volume growth for calendar year 2005. (compares 2nd quarters year over year) The earnings report is at Fedex.com. As far as overall growth there GDP was actually better than the United States overall growth domestic product or GDP. The U.S. GDP was 3.5 percent for 2005. Fedex actually out performed the U.S. economy with a 3.6 percent GDP. If you perform a Google search with Fedex 2005 GDP you can download the Fedex earnings report and look at everything you would ever want to know or not know about Fedex.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Monte

Was this what tie was refering to?

"I think FedEx wanted to get out in front of the curve on this issue to beat UPS to the punch," says Doug Caldwell of AFMS Logistics Management Group. "Having a 5.5% general rate increase, but reducing the fuel-surcharge index by 2% gives a 3.5%—net average rate increase. They wanted to get that out there first, because there is a huge disparity between UPS and FedEx in terms of fuel surcharges. FedEx is at 20% and UPS is at 12.5%."

You have not addressed the fuel surcharges that Tie brought up.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the matter.

d

montecarlo12

dannyboy said:
And miss all the fun? How dare you!

Monte

A 1% growth rate is losing volume or at least money. If the economy is growing at say 3% and you only increase 1%, you are going the wrong way.

As for 8% growth in international, I figured that it would be double that. Most companies that deal with international shipments like we, have experienced double digit growth in that sector for at least the last 5 years. To only be at 8%, while not bad, is not exactly leading the pack.

dont get me wrong, I perceive FedEx as a worthy competitor that has the capability and all the ex UPS employees to make things work.

Just my thoughts.

d

Dannyboy,
Tieguys claim is that Fedex had a crappy 2nd quarter and there was a loss of volume. Fedex had a revenue INCREASE of 33% for the 2nd quarter. Volume INCREASED by 3%. That is a 3% increase in volume over the 2nd quarter of 2004. (2004's 2nd quarter compared to 2005's) Our 3rd quarter ends at the end of this month. Your 4th quarter ended late December 2005. I dont understand where you are getting 1% growth rate and the economy at 3%. The U.S. GDP for calender year 2005 was 3.5% ( U.S.GDP measures how strong or weak the U.S economy was for the physical year.) Fedex had a U.S. GDP of 3.6 which actually out performed our 2005 economy. Tie,s claim is that it fell short, somewhere around 3%. That is why Ive been asking him for a link to his info and hes been avoiding the request. RUN TIE RUN!!!! I could post 1 of 3 links right now but what fun would that be. He dug his own hole. He,s standing by his claim/lie. If anyone took the time to look it up please allow Tie to post his 3% link.
thanks

montecarlo12

dannyboy said:
Monte

Was this what tie was refering to?

You have not addressed the fuel surcharges that Tie brought up.

Just wanted to know your thoughts on the matter.

d

Danny,
There is no doubt that Fedex has been increasing fuel surcharges over the past few years. I looked under "press release" at Fedex.com and saw a Dec.2 article saying its latest increase would take affect Jan.2,2006. Not only did fuel surcharges increase but package rates also went up. I guess the brass at Fedex feel customers will reach even deeper into there pockets for our service. Only time will tell. but I can say it hasnt hurt Fedex to date. Revenue and volume are still increasing every year. Fedex 3rd quarter ends at the end of the month so maybe we can guage if rate increases and fuel surcharges have negatively impacted revenue or volume growth. Were gonna have to wait until early March for the earnings release. As for me....thank god I get an employee discount on my shipping !! LOL If you compare what is cost to mail an Intl package compared to shipping It Fedex Express, Its a wonder Fedex ever got off the ground :lol:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I was using the 1% as an example only, had nothing to do with the real numbers.

As for fuel increases, there will be a backlash, not only to the surcharges but also to what we pay at the pump. When you hear that Exxon made a larger profit last year than any company in the history of the USA, when it claims that the hikes were needed to offset the losses due to Katrina.......

People will only pay for expensive things when they have a perceived value. If the value is no longer there, the price will be too high, and the customer will go elsewhere.

That is what is bothering me when our drivers are hitting the road at 9:30 instead of 8:30 the promise is harder to keep, and it would seem that service failures are 'hidden".

As you say, time will tell.

d

montecarlo12

Danny,
great point, It sickens me that Exxon took advantage of the issues that are going on in Iraq. I thought we as citizens were told our presence in Iraq was to protect us from weapons of mass destruction and oil price hikes. Turns out, neither were true and our troops were put in harms way. I support our troops and currently have 2 buddies fighting over there now. I just feel like there are other interest there other than what we are led to believe. I understand the U.S. has global interest, but Im all for taking care of our own people and issues, that seem to always be put on the back burner or not addressed at all. Our country has enough problems :sad:

I cant speak for Fedex as a whole but our start times in NE are earlier now than years past. I start between 630am and 700am every mourning. Our sort are finishing at 800am and Im on my way to Deliver by 8:10am. There are 14 new permanent routes added to my station this year. We have been handling more volume and our service failures have decreased. We compete with other stations in our district for bonus opportunities. I dont work for the Ground division but I know there starting even earlier than us. My brother also has had his start time pushed back at UPS early last year. He is starting over an hour later. His wife likes it because its now his job to get the kids up and ready for school. LOL

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I dont think Exxon took advantage of Iraq, I think the advantage came with Katrina. I think some price fixing was done, and if so, should be punished like Enron has been. When people at the top of companies like that make killings on the misfortunes of our country, the people that made the killings should have their clocks cleaned.

Service failures are key here. For years, we had very few here and it was great. Now, at least at the center level, it would seem that people dont care. Oh heck yeah, they will scan the packages and do exception reports on them, but who knows what the reasons are. Only the management team. But then when you look the next day at the reports, we only had 5 late air? How can that be when we leave at 915?

Oh yeah, I forgot. ya gotta ask the customer if they mind the air being late. if not, it is put down as a customer request late air, and does not count.

What a bunch of hogwash from a first rate delivery company.

d

wkmac

It is funny how the price went through the roof after the storms and to my knowledge (I'm not sure here so I'm very open to other info on this)all the Gulf capacity is back to normal operations but the price is still high. Now I will conceed that refineries being down for several weeks put them behind in preparing for winter heating needs but other than last week and a little in Dec. our winter has been very mild. Next 3 days here will be in the 60's but normal is low 50's. So what gives?

Arguement against oil companies very compelling right now.

Hey Monte, have you sent a thank you note to Tony Stewart and Home Depot?
:wink:

montecarlo12

Wkmac,
I sent thank you notes to everyone on the track except for Kyle Bush! Everyone raced him clean. Tony is awsome and I loved the way the 20 and 11 worked together. I cant wait to see the 18 in the mix. What a fun race to watch. I think Denny came in to his final pit stop in 3rd and his crew got him out in 1st. Tony definitely put both the 11 and 20 in a position to win the race. I think Jimmie Johnson and Jr. were great also. I went to Jayski to read the articles all over the country. Everything I read said Hamlin did a great job, ran a clean race, and made no rookie mistakes. First rookie to ever win the Bud Shootout. I think Gibbs has two young drivers that are going to be exciting to watch this year.

tieguy

Banned
dannyboy said:
I dont think Exxon took advantage of Iraq, I think the advantage came with Katrina. I think some price fixing was done, and if so, should be punished like Enron has been. When people at the top of companies like that make killings on the misfortunes of our country, the people that made the killings should have their clocks cleaned.

Service failures are key here. For years, we had very few here and it was great. Now, at least at the center level, it would seem that people dont care. Oh heck yeah, they will scan the packages and do exception reports on them, but who knows what the reasons are. Only the management team. But then when you look the next day at the reports, we only had 5 late air? How can that be when we leave at 915?

Oh yeah, I forgot. ya gotta ask the customer if they mind the air being late. if not, it is put down as a customer request late air, and does not count.

What a bunch of hogwash from a first rate delivery company.

d

A little sidebar perhaps with the exxon profit picture. Meanwhile the real issue still is that fdx charges so much for their fuel surcharge. What I particularly found odd in which fdx bragged about fuel surcharges helping their profit picture.