Tier 1 Hub

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
a guy literally posted a vid of it what else do you want

it comes in two sizes depending on the PPH required, it's made by ZE GERMANS, and it's going to gut union staffing like whoa

it also has nothing to do with whether something is a tier 1 hub, hub tier is about how much volume passes through in a year, among some other very vague criteria

That may work on certain loads but there is no way that could gut unload staffing. Even if it did they would need to hire two clerks for every unloader they got rid of to handle damages and open boxes.

We have loads that are all cell phones and boxes of video games...those loads could work with this type of system.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If not, then they'll still need to be loaded manually and not really save that much money. They might unload faster but if they're all jumbled up, the loaders will still have to pick through that ball of crap to get to anything.
theyll be sorted in single order by the autosort

even if it doesn't effect your manual sorts, you've cut out your unload, your sort, most of your smalls, and most of your pickoffs

for the cost of even a 50% increase in clerk staffing, you've cut so many people it's an easy win

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
theyll be sorted in single order by the autosort

even if it doesn't effect your manual sorts, you've cut out your unload, your sort, most of your smalls, and most of your pickoffs

for the cost of even a 50% increase in clerk staffing, you've cut so many people it's an easy win
Do guys like you have your heads so far up your own asses that you don't see you'll eventually be the "easy win" someday?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Do guys like you have your heads so far up your own asses that you don't see you'll eventually be the "easy win" someday?

a luddite attitude wouldn't save me even if that was my fate

anyways i'm not locked into a physical job or only have one skill set, so i'll be fine

:censored2: even if i wasn't fine, i just need another 10 years of FT work and my retirement will be set, then i could be a walmart greeter for all i give a :censored2:; i prefer white collar but i don't get hung up on how i earn $

GameCockFan

In 10-20 years automation will cut the number of jobs in half, maybe sooner, INCLUDING DRIVERS and SUPERVISORS. It's only a matter of time. Self driving trucks are closer than you think and hub automation is just a matter of investing the money. Automated hubs need less supervision. The actual last mile of delivery may still require package drivers, but at that point it's even less of a skilled job and you will be replaced. I wouldn't recommend a job in transportation to anyone. With approx. 4 million truck drivers, It's going to be a huge hit to the economy. Especially since most drivers aren't well educated and make a fairly good wage for the skill required. I hope I make it to retirement with UPS, but I'm not confident. Look how the internet is killing brick and mortar locations and affecting UPS as well. B2B deliveries are much more profitable, but all the growth is in residential.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
i just need another 10 years of FT work and my retirement will be set, then i could be a walmart greeter for all i give a :censored2:; i prefer white collar but i don't get hung up on how i earn $
@TearsForFears 9 years from now:
1j26fs.jpg

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
In 10-20 years automation will cut the number of jobs in half, maybe sooner, INCLUDING DRIVERS and SUPERVISORS. It's only a matter of time. Self driving trucks are closer than you think and hub automation is just a matter of investing the money. Automated hubs need less supervision. The actual last mile of delivery may still require package drivers, but at that point it's even less of a skilled job and you will be replaced. I wouldn't recommend a job in transportation to anyone. With approx. 4 million truck drivers, It's going to be a huge hit to the economy. Especially since most drivers aren't well educated and make a fairly good wage for the skill required. I hope I make it to retirement with UPS, but I'm not confident. Look how the internet is killing brick and mortar locations and affecting UPS as well. B2B deliveries are much more profitable, but all the growth is in residential.
Ya I'd be really worried if I wasn't in a union job.