Time allowances

BurntSienna

Looking for some tips to help my overallowed. I'm trying to qualify and need all the help I can get. I have searched and read a lot of info on this topic. I know about over 70's, getting sigs, sorting truck during lunch if necessary, talking ti veteran drivers that know the route etc. Just don't want to miss anything that could make a difference. I'm taking this very seriously. I've worked very hard to get this opportunity. I have a lot riding on this and can't afford to blow it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
come in early and sort it out to be ready for the day and skip lunch. But as soon as you qualify, knock that crap off and enjoy the ride.

Oh......and run your butt off. But again, after your 30, knock it off.

Looking for some tips to help my overallowed. I'm trying to qualify and need all the help I can get. I have searched and read a lot of info on this topic. I know about over 70's, getting sigs, sorting truck during lunch if necessary, talking ti veteran drivers that know the route etc. Just don't want to miss anything that could make a difference. I'm taking this very seriously. I've worked very hard to get this opportunity. I have a lot riding on this and can't afford to blow it.
Worry about doing the job efficiently and not some numbers you have no control over.

BurntSienna

I know that a lot of guys skip lunch in the beginning but I think they want to see you scratch the route AND take your full one hour lunch

Cementups

Box Monkey
I know that a lot of guys skip lunch in the beginning but I think they want to see you scratch the route AND take your full one hour lunch

They don't care if you ever take lunch as long as you code out for one. If you code out and work through it they are actually saving money so ideally they would like all of us to skip lunch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You must scratch (or be awfully close) and take your full lunch in order to qualify.

They don't care if you ever take lunch as long as you code out for one. If you code out and work through it they are actually saving money so ideally they would like all of us to skip lunch.

Not when you are qualifying.

After that? Absolutely.

NXA

How to disqualify:
Crash into something, or something crashes into you.
Hurt yourself.
Service failure, late air, missed pickup,
Refusal to improve

To improve your time, area knowledge is key. When you know what rte you'll be delivering, ask someone in the dispatch office to print the delivery dispatch for whatever day. Then take your personal car out on the weekend, and "deliver" the route. Look for delivery points, landmarks, number breaks.

BUCN85

Agree with all posts. Unfortunately on many routes you have to skip your lunch and sort as you go. The route I qualified on I had to skip lunch and break and still managed to get under by about 10 mins. Now on that route I can't ever scratch and the bid driver can't either. It's BS. But now it doesn't matter. Make sure you code in your 2 10 min breaks if are able. That's 20 mins not against you

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when i was a relief driver i did what NXA said. i went on sundays to learn the CPU route i was gonna be on the following week. even though i was already a driver and the company could not fire me for being too slow , i did it for our customers and out of personal pride.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
when i was a relief driver i did what NXA said. i went on sundays to learn the CPU route i was gonna be on the following week. even though i was already a driver and the company could not fire me for being too slow , i did it for our customers and out of personal pride.
You've never mentioned a word about driving package car....

billerz

The two ways you can lose time, by spending too much time inside the truck, and not remembering where you are going. You can't make up time behind the wheel, that's how an accident will happen.
I wouldn't recommend you skip your whole lunch, you need to eat and it also gives you time to plan the rest of your day. I would def sort the truck during lunch, and maybe skip some of it.
As long as you get a little better every day, you will qualify. I would say sorting and package selection is prob where you are losing the most time, try to improve that if you can.
Oh also start and stop car routine, super important.

BurntSienna

Thanks for the good advice. Much appreciated. I realize a few things that I need to focus more on. As long as they give me enough days to work and don't #%^* me around I think I got this!

Box Ox

Feel sorry for the folks who have to qualify with ORION in place. Bouncing you all over your area, assuming you know when to suddenly cut in the other direction and that you know which streets all of the corner houses and commercial structures are addressed off of. What you're expected to walk to. Etc. Need more area knowledge than you did running RDO.

Running ODO in the blind as an already-qualified driver? Fine. $$. But trying to qualify? Yikes.

Anyway, extra time stuff that hasn't been mentioned. May or may not give you any meaningful credit, but:

-Entering floor numbers for apartments or commercial buildings 2nd floor and up.

-Scanning in packages handed to you or picked up outside of an official pickup into SplCts.

-Prerecording apartment stops you couldn't get a signature for and individually tagging them as LA/Res if the apartment office takes them.

-If you've ever got any unproductive downtime and you're allowed to split your lunch up in your region (and you can count on not needing a breather later), key it in. You're waiting for a pickup, waiting to sheet something on site after lunch hour, dug around in the back for packages for 1 stop because it's miles away from where you're going to end your day and it's been in front of your face all along, etc.

Box Ox

giphy.gif

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Area knowledge, area knowledge, area knowledge. Learn how to run the route forward and backwards so you know the shortest way to run it and for god sake do not follow Orion