Time For A Music Thread, Summer Concerts

wkmac

wkmac,

Are you familiar with Arena? They're somewhat on the heavy side.

Speaking of psychadelics........weren't we????..........how about the Flower Kings? Good stuff!!

Can't say I've heard of Arena. Now I liked a band from back in the day called Coliseum. Flower Kings? Oh yeah, I've always admired the work of Roine Stolt and Swedish musical efforts especailly the extreme metal out of Gothenburg. Just so happens I bought my tickets today to go see Swedish Death metal/black metal/progressive metal band Opeth who is coming in October. Listening to their new CD Watershed as I write this.

I love Psychedelia, especially the early days of Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett. People don't realize how much of an influence Syd was to lots of music that was to come. Ashame his adventures with LSD got the better of him but then we did get the smooth guitar work of Gilmour in exchange so there you go. You've never seen Floyd unless you've seen them pre-Darkside days. Love Echoes and Atom Heart Mother along with Careful With That Axe Eugene. Throw in some Lizard King and "The End" and life could get down right freaky!
:happy-very: Iron Butterfly anyone? :peaceful:

Did anyone see the rock honors to the Who on VH1 the other night. I loved the video of the late John Entwhistle who was a monster on the bass. DS, you of all people need to check this out dude!

Tie mentioned Johnny Cash and this guy is an icon across the board. Johnny was as much a rocker in his early days as anthing else and many a rocker idolizes Cash. Steve Howe of Yes list among his greatest influences as being Chet Atkins who is an awesome guitarist. Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath is a huge fan of jazz. Brian Hammer (Synster Gates) of AvengeSevenfold grew up playing jazz and idolizing his hero Joe Pass. Brad Pailsey who is a great guitarist and song writer grew up playing jazz. It wasn't known until after his tragic death that Randy Rhodes the guitar great of Ozzy's Crazy Train, was gonna leave the rock and roll world to get his degree in classical guitar and then go study in Europe for his Master's.

When it comes to music among musicians, the genre lines behind the scenes just seem to disappear and a good craftsman no matter the genre is always appreciated. I love death metal but I also love Ricky Skaggs and the late great Bill Monroe. You ain't seen guitar playing until you've gone to a blue grass convention and watch some of those boys flat pick. Put a shredder to shame!

upsdude

I grew up listening to old country and no matter how hard i tried to get away from it old time country is still what I listen to. Took my dad to a Bill Anderson concert for fathers day.

Same here. I remember the folks buying a Charlie Pride album back when you couldn’t get any white folks to admit doing so. LOL.

tourists24

Ok WKMAC,,, need your help here... I have a choice to make; which one would you attend as I can only go to one, not both...

Linkin Park in Charlotte, NC at the Projekt Revolution tour;;; with them you get Korn, the Used, and Less than Jake OR

Disturbed in Atlanta, Ga at the Rockstar Energy Festival.... with them is Slipknot, Dragonforce...

DS

Fenderbender
Wow that was the beach boys on drugs...a singer would only detract you from the sound of the surf ,nice guitar player tho,and the band reminded me of the stray cats.Rednecks with double necks...interesting

wkmac

Ok WKMAC,,, need your help here... I have a choice to make; which one would you attend as I can only go to one, not both...

Linkin Park in Charlotte, NC at the Projekt Revolution tour;;; with them you get Korn, the Used, and Less than Jake OR

Disturbed in Atlanta, Ga at the Rockstar Energy Festival.... with them is Slipknot, Dragonforce...

I have to admit, that's a tough one. I'd say the Atlanta show with Slipknot since the word is they are calling it a day. I grew up a Gabriel era-Pre Pop Genesis fan and Disturbed's cover of Genesis' Land of Confusion is just outstanding. Not to much into Dragonforce however.

You mentioned 3 Days Grace and Nickleback. Did you see the 2 of them together on tour a year or so ago? We did but then I saw 3DG back in the spring followed the next night with AvengedSevenfold who I thought we damn good. I'm also a Brian Hammer (Synster Gates) fan of his guitar work so that helps.

I can't take the outdoor summer shows as the heat just kills us 50 somethings. :happy-very: Ah but I remember the day.

:wink2:

upsdude

Wow that was the beach boys on drugs...a singer would only detract you from the sound of the surf ,nice guitar player tho,and the band reminded me of the stray cats.Rednecks with double necks...interesting

I'm a bigger fan of the Neptunes than the Cadillac Angels. Listening to either one is a nice change of pace.

satellitedriver

I'm a bigger fan of the Neptunes than the Cadillac Angels. Listening to either one is a nice change of pace.
Just had to share real surf music.
The Ventures set the sound before the Beach boys.
The licks on "Pipeline" and "Wipe Out" seem simple now, but back then they were revolutionary.

tourists24

You mentioned 3 Days Grace and Nickleback. Did you see the 2 of them together on tour a year or so ago? We did but then I saw 3DG back in the spring followed the next night with AvengedSevenfold who I thought we damn good. I'm also a Brian Hammer (Synster Gates) fan of his guitar work so that helps.

I saw 3 Days Grace with Seether and Breaking Benjamin. Have to admit I knew the least about Benjamin but they were really good.

I saw Nickelback with Finger Eleven and Puddle of Mudd.

I think the best concert Ive seen in the last few years was Godsmack. Im leaning a little toward Disturbed next since Ive wanted to see them for a while.... also I would really like to see Foo Fighters sometime in the near future if possible

DS

Fenderbender
More, I missed the soda fountain scene and the A+W waitresses at the local drive in on roller skates,hell,I missed Elvis kinda,I just kinda slid into the possibilities when I heard the beatles,and It got heavier from there.
Deep purple Uriah heep ,tiny tim,I just had to be a musician too.
tourist
I did 2 hits of godsmack and I weren't breaking benjamin,I needed a seether and after 3 days grace I felt disturbed when I slipped in a puddle of mud and bruised finger 11.And I didn't get my nickleback.

wkmac

I heard Rush last night but I didn't see them! They've built a new outdoor ampitheater literally a 1/4 mile through the woods as the crow flies from our building. Got off work about 10:15 pm last night so just hung around outside and enjoyed the music for a few minutes. We'd gotten some heavy rain earlier in the evening and the heavy moisture still in the air dampened some of the high and mid frequencies but you could hear Geddy great and his thundering bass. Alex was in and out depending on the frequency and Neil was hard to pick up but you knew he was there. One sound that you could really hear was when Geddy hit those Moog Taurus pedals. Mike Rutherford of Genesis used those especially in the early years and the depth to the bottom end was always incredible. Geddy IMO has perfected them into an artform as he uses them to carry the bass line when he jumps onto the Moog Synth.

The Eagles played this same venue in May and a couple of 22.3 drivers who know the area and all the little back roads and paths got off work and went over to the venue via the backstage entrance. They were in their browns and the show security let them in and stand in the backstage area and enjoy the show. You damn drivers get all the perks!

Free Eagles and swimming with Conan. What a life!

Money for nothing and your chicks for free! I guess for you gals that would be "Hunks for Free!"
:happy-very:

For those who don't know what Moog Taurus Bass Pedals are, here's a nice quick demonstration including some pitch, frequency and waveform changes. These are no longer made by Moog :sad-very: but Roland has their own versions and you can buy software and using any controller, drive the sounds you want.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

At some point I will post videos or sound clips of our band, but I don't think middle age people on browncafe would be too interested. Rock/metal, even some funky tunes, also some of our music has celtic influences which adds some uniqueness.

Haven't been to any good shows lately, mostly local stuff jazz/d&b/improv on the Boston local scen here and there.

upsdude

At some point I will post videos or sound clips of our band, but I don't think middle age people on browncafe would be too interested. Rock/metal, even some funky tunes, also some of our music has celtic influences which adds some uniqueness.

Haven't been to any good shows lately, mostly local stuff jazz/d&b/improv on the Boston local scen here and there.

Please post!

I listen to most anything, OK, NO Rap, can't do it.

wkmac

You don't think middle aged people would be interested? Well I'm middle age so post away. Rock/metal with celtic influences? That sounds pretty cool to me.

All music is good if your heart is in it!

DS

Fenderbender
I've been bugging Cheryl for years about having bc music sharing .
I dont mean stealing off the net and sharing,just originals.
I have yet to find one that could be integrated without infringing copyrites...anyone have any ideas?

wkmac

I've been bugging Cheryl for years about having bc music sharing .
I dont mean stealing off the net and sharing,just originals.
I have yet to find one that could be integrated without infringing copyrites...anyone have any ideas?

MY SPACE! :happy-very:

Seriously, I don't know of something like you mentioned but to keep from copyright breech, I would think that whatever you had could not be downloadable because if I can download, then it's possible and probable that at some point I could/will violate copyright laws. The file here at BC would have to be listen only or view only in the case of a video file.

The other problem and IMO the bigger problem is if Cheryl would incorporate something like this, it would require time and I'm thinking more money just for the structural support of it. Be careful what you ask of or demand of Cheryl because so far this site has remained free. We demand and demand and that cost and or headaches goes up and Cheryl is liable to get smart and call it a day!

I'm beyond amazement that she puts up with what she puts up with now.

You know I love ya Cheryl!
:love-very: