Time For A Music Thread, Summer Concerts

Big Babooba

Here's a classic - Country Joe & the Fish
YouTube - Country Joe McDonald - "Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die"

Last edited:

wkmac

Ok WKMAC,,, need your help here... I have a choice to make; which one would you attend as I can only go to one, not both...

Linkin Park in Charlotte, NC at the Projekt Revolution tour;;; with them you get Korn, the Used, and Less than Jake OR

Disturbed in Atlanta, Ga at the Rockstar Energy Festival.... with them is Slipknot, Dragonforce...

Hey Tourist,

Did you make it down to Mayhem Fest this past week? How was the show?

DS

Fenderbender
I was on ebay looking for guitars,just for fun clicked sort by price.
I found this guitar.They say its never been played.Not sure if thats a good thing or not,but it sure is pretty.

wkmac

I found this guitar.They say its never been played.Not sure if thats a good thing or not,but it sure is pretty.

Your post made me think of what Keith Urban once said about guitars.

It takes a guitar 20 years to forget it's a tree!

I always thought that was a good quote. :happy-very:

tourists24

Hey Tourist,

Did you make it down to Mayhem Fest this past week? How was the show?
I did not get to make it. I really wanted to see Disturbed, but alas, it will have to wait. We did get to see Five Finger Death Punch this past week right here in my hometown. A little on the hard side, but not bad.

Next coming up (hopefully) is Shinedown, Buckcherry, Avenged Sevenfold, and Saving Abel at the end of September. The days are going to make it hard (Either Knoxville, Tn on the 27th or Clemson, SC the 28th), but I really like Shinedown (seen them) and Buckcherry

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

DS,
Thats a fine looking guitar. I take it that you are looking around for something to replace your Martin. A Gibson signed by Ron Wood? I'm an old Stones fan, so that would be nice. I don't play an instrument, but I wish I had learned the guitar and keyboards. I'm just a singer, (though not in a rock and roll band), as the old Moody Blues lyrics go.

dillweed

Oh dear, what a subject. Parents listened to country and Johnny Cash sure has a place in my heart.

In the 70's it was sex, drugs and rock/roll. I'm still not quite right in the head.

I still tune in to rock stations but tire of the same old tunes over and over.

Lived in Missouri for a year and acquired a taste for bluegrass. Nothing quite like sitting down to a batch of it with a generous supply of jack and coke but my husband refuses to go through the humiliation of listening to me howl to a bunch of whiny singers. Took the dogs to a local bluegrass festival last weekend but the cattle dog didn't take to the music. Other attendees weren't taking to him either.

I must be getting old because I often tune in to public radio to hear discussions on current news and the blues review. Husband also refuses to hear blues.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Guitar Man" Jerry Reed dies at age 71

Singer and actor Jerry Reed, known as "The Guitar Man" of country music, has died at the age of 71, ending a career that took him from writing hit songs like "When You're Hot, You're Hot" to major acting roles in Hollywood.

Reed died on Monday from complications from emphysema. He had been cared for recently in a hospice, Country Music Television in Nashville reported.

Born in Atlanta, Georgia, Reed released more than 40 albums over a long career that started with his first record at the age of 18. He went on to become a Grammy award-winning musician as well as a popular session and tour guitarist who played with the likes of Joan Baez and Ringo Starr.
In the mid-1970s, Reed teamed up with friend and actor Burt Reynolds and appeared in the three "Smokey and the Bandit" movies as Reynolds' truck-driving sidekick "The Snowman." He also wrote the hit song "East Bound and Down" from the first movie.

Reed later played Coach Red Beaulieu in the 1998 movie "The Waterboy" with Adam Sandler.

Elvis Presley recorded two of Reed's early songs -- "U.S. Male" and "Guitar Man" and Reed played his distinctive "claw-style" licks on the studio recordings. Reed also played with country star Chet Atkins and was a regular on the "Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour" in 1970, as well as writing songs for Johnny Cash, Brenda Lee and many others.
Reed won two Grammys in the early 1970s and another in 1992 for the album "Sneakin' Around."

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Eric Walsh)

DS

Fenderbender
Well I did the deal today.Put a downpayment on a Taylor 210 dreadnought guitar. spruce top,indian rosewood laminate sides and back,ebony neck with hardshell case .$767.27...
I played the 110 but the fullness of 210 with the rosewood proposed to me and I had to have it .
heres a pic
taylor210.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
DS, I think that should count as your Xmas present !! And now Deb's off the hook. Hope you're getting her something nice too !!

wkmac

Well I did the deal today.Put a downpayment on a Taylor 210 dreadnought guitar. spruce top,indian rosewood laminate sides and back,ebony neck with hardshell case .$767.27...
I played the 110 but the fullness of 210 with the rosewood proposed to me and I had to have it .
heres a pic

The newest guitar in our house goes to the guitar tech in 2 weeks to be gutted of all electronics and pickups. Will add a Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon and cool rail for the humbucker and middle pickup and in the neck pickup goes a Sustainiac system. Only thing being saved of this guitar is the neck, body and Floyd Rose and of course the paint job! LOL!

DS

Fenderbender
Nice death and roses motif.
What is the purpose of the 3 metal things on the neck before first fret wkmac?

wkmac

Nice death and roses motif.
What is the purpose of the 3 metal things on the neck before first fret wkmac?

String locks. With the Floyd Rose Tremolo, you can adjust the string tension somewhat at the tremolo so they lock out the strings at the neck which keeps the guitar in tune when you crank the whammy bar. Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, Jackson, Dean, Carvin, etc. use lock bars on guitars with the Floyd Rose. Downside is quick detuning of the guitar for drop D or even lower.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Does anyone remember these guys?

i had the pleasure of meeting Roger Miller ( singer, multinstrumentalist) last year. He is a bit older now! :peaceful: