Time For Teamsters

purplesky

Ground is going to help destroy the UPS teamsters next.....

No FDX ground will be next. Fred is going to screw the ground owners with a restructure at some point. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT FRED WILL ALLOW GROUND OWNERS TO GET RICH AND GAIN ANY CONTROL IN THE FDX CORPORATION?

FDX HAS BIG PLANS FOR GROUND AND THE CURRENT GROUND OWNERS WILL BE CRUSHED LIKE LITTLE BUGS. THEY ARE PART OF THIS DOWNSIZE PICTURE BUT THEY JUST DONT KNOW ABOUT IT YET. :wink2:

MAKAVELI

The problem is Fedex has got almost all its employees brainwashed into thinking its not possible with the RLA. 5 years ago I would have agreed with that consensus . I will reiterate, if there was ever a right time, now is that time. And most people don't realize they are protected under the law for union activities and organizing, right to work laws or not. If they retaliate for union activities that would open the door for more lawsuits. I have been involved in an organizing effort before and can tell you the fight has to come from the employees. The union provides direction, leadership, resources and planning but without the support of the employees it means nothing.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

This is exactly what I said yesterday. If Walmart workers can make some waves than these FDX guys can also. THE MEDIA LOVES THIS STUFF!

The difference is this, if Express employees walked out, and it would have to be A LOT of us at once doing it, FredEx would go to the media and "address" our concerns in the media. The week after we went back to work there would be a MASSIVE hiring initiative and a mass firing for "unrelated developments". I would be all for it to make the point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ground is going to help destroy the UPS teamsters next.....

There is more truth to this than you might think. UPS and the Teamsters will have to address the wage disparity between UPS and Ground, either in this contract or most certainly in the contract to follow. I think you will see a two-tiered wage structure for new FT hires, with a lower starting wage, longer progession and lower topout. I also think new PT hires will be offered a higher starting wage in lieu of benefits.

bbsam

Staff member
No FDX ground will be next. Fred is going to screw the ground owners with a restructure at some point. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT FRED WILL ALLOW GROUND OWNERS TO GET RICH AND GAIN ANY CONTROL IN THE FDX CORPORATION?

FDX HAS BIG PLANS FOR GROUND AND THE CURRENT GROUND OWNERS WILL BE CRUSHED LIKE LITTLE BUGS. THEY ARE PART OF THIS DOWNSIZE PICTURE BUT THEY JUST DONT KNOW ABOUT IT YET. :wink2:
it is often said that the contractor model yields Fred a 30% savings over wage employees. If he throws contractors 7% of that, do you realize how much each side will profit?

vantexan

There is more truth to this than you might think. UPS and the Teamsters will have to address the wage disparity between UPS and Ground, either in this contract or most certainly in the contract to follow. I think you will see a two-tiered wage structure for new FT hires, with a lower starting wage, longer progession and lower topout. I also think new PT hires will be offered a higher starting wage in lieu of benefits.

As someone who has made much less than topout for almost 14 years I can tell you that UPS is buying itself a lot of trouble. Over time my job has handled much less freight due to a lot of bulk going to Ground. UPS drivers can't get away from that. And you are unionized. If I worked like a dog to just get by and had a union to back me up I'd go on strike. It's plenty bad enough at Express, but can't imagine doing UPS work for much less.

Glorifiedpackmule

I was a swing at UPS before I moved over to Express. UPS drivers earn every damn cent they make. It's back breaking Manual labor. I wouldn't it for FedEx Ground wages.

purplesky

Really? UPS is making record profits with a wage disparity as we speak. ALSO WHY IS THIS PERSON OR PERSONS?( UpstateNYUPSer) WITH 24,054 POSTS KEEP PUSHING A 2 TIERED WAGE SCALE FOR UPS DRIVERS?
ARE YOU REALLY A CURRENT PACKAGE CAR DRIVER TRYING TO TAKE AWAY MONEY FROM FUTURE TEAMSTERS? I SMELL A TROLL?

How could you have time to deliver packages and eat and go to the potty with so much time CONSTANTLY posting about A 2 TIER WAGE FOR PACKAGE DRIVERS?:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Purplesky, I am simply offering a personal opinion based upon my analysis of the situation. I do not have any insider information or anything beyond what any other employee has access to. I do know that something needs to be done to address the wage disparity and since Fred is not likely to open his wallet then it is on UPS' shoulders. I think new PTers will have a higher starting wage in lieu of benefits and new FT hires will have a lower starting wage, longer progession and lower top out.

As for the troll comment I have been called worse by better.

purplesky

Purplesky, I am simply offering a personal opinion based upon my analysis of the situation. I do not have any insider information or anything beyond what any other employee has access to. I do know that something needs to be done to address the wage disparity and since Fred is not likely to open his wallet then it is on UPS' shoulders. I think new PTers will have a higher starting wage in lieu of benefits and new FT hires will have a lower starting wage, longer progession and lower top out.

As for the troll comment I have been called worse by better.

UPS is making billions in profits in a REALLY BAD ECONOMY. So why should any UPSER take a pay cut? Do you want to reduce your pension amount for retirement? For the UPS TEAM? I bet not.

I find it hard to believe that you are a package car driver but whatever. It doesnt matter what I think.

IF FRED WANTS TO CATCH UPS HE WILL NEED TO OPEN HIS WALLET. HE HAS NO CHOICE.

STFXG

Fred is doing just fine catching ups. He doesn't need to pay more for a workforce that requires nothing more than a driver license and the will to work.

vantexan

UPS is making billions in profits in a REALLY BAD ECONOMY. So why should any UPSER take a pay cut? Do you want to reduce your pension amount for retirement? For the UPS TEAM? I bet not.

I find it hard to believe that you are a package car driver but whatever. It doesnt matter what I think.

IF FRED WANTS TO CATCH UPS HE WILL NEED TO OPEN HIS WALLET. HE HAS NO CHOICE.

The problem is that FedEx Ground can, and does, charge considerably less than UPS for similar service. UPS can't match those prices because it's contractually bound to pay much higher wages and provide benefits(which are much better than Express employees get). As Ground takes business away with lower prices UPS will struggle to pay for everything. Something has to give for them but they're between a rock and a hard place because it'll be tough finding people willing to work like that for considerably less than current drivers make. If they were smart they'd stop current Ground drivers on the street and offer them those mid-$20's an hr jobs with some decent benefits. Let Ground become their farm team, lol!!

purplesky

Fred is doing just fine catching ups. He doesn't need to pay more for a workforce that requires nothing more than a driver license and the will to work.

Actually at this very moment Fred is just trying to save his company and convince Wallstreet that his company is not a mess.

We heard 10 years ago that Fred is catching UPS. Maybe in another 10. Fred has a huge mess on his hands to clean up.

The problem is FRED will need to pay his workforce more sooner than later. ITS NOT LIKE HE CAN GIVE FDX GROUND A PAYCUT.:wink2: He would if he could though.

Last edited:

Glorifiedpackmule

The problem is that FedEx Ground can, and does, charge considerably less than UPS for similar service. UPS can't match those prices because it's contractually bound to pay much higher wages and provide benefits(which are much better than Express employees get). As Ground takes business away with lower prices UPS will struggle to pay for everything. Something has to give for them but they're between a rock and a hard place because it'll be tough finding people willing to work like that for considerably less than current drivers make. If they were smart they'd stop current Ground drivers on the street and offer them those mid-$20's an hr jobs with some decent benefits. Let Ground become their farm team, lol!!

That's not a bad Idea. I'm under the belief that (some) Ground drivers are oblivious to the fact that they're not getting what everyone else is getting. I can't for the life of me figure out any other reason why they would be doing it for next to nothing. It's a weird deal..

purplesky

I heard this 10 years ago when the economy was good. If FDX ground is so cheap and close to UPS in service than why arent shippers ALL USING FDX GROUND? UPS should be out of business by now. Not making billions in profits AFTER PAYING UNION WAGES.

TUT

If I had to ask Fedex Ground one question this would be it:

Why are your prices roughly the same as UPS Ground or how is UPS Ground cheaper for me then Fedex Ground? Your costs have to be substantially less then what UPS's are, so are you that unorganized to offer a substantial savings to the shipper?

Long-term Fedex maybe seeing that UPS wages will be coming down along with the rise of regional carriers and their equally low wages. By the way today Wal Mart starts its testing with "Same Day Delivery" and they are not using Fedex or UPS.

TUT

I heard this 10 years ago when the economy was good. If FDX ground is so cheap and close to UPS in service than why arent shippers ALL USING FDX GROUND? UPS should be out of business by now. Not making billions in profits AFTER PAYING UNION WAGES.

LOL very similar to what I just posted. The question to me is, "Why isn't Fedex Ground like $2 cheaper per shipment, period?". To the point the nation knows that as a common knowledge. Like USPS is cheaper than UPS or Fedex and everyone with an ounce knows that.

STFXG

Ups Ground is competitive because fdx ground CAN'T cut more on the price. We don't have the infrastructure to handle much more volume. It's being built and once capacity is there the cost will be cut when needed. For now its make as much as we can off what we have. Just maintain volume with slow growth.