Time Travel Implications

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
So several months ago I started pondering time travel and all the implications that would go along with it. The biggest one I considered was that if one was to to travel to another point in time, would they:

A. Take on a first-person perspective of themselves at that time, and would they exist at their age at that point in time or stay the same age as when they entered travel? And if they took on their original age at that point in time, would they retain all the memory and knowledge they had upon entering travel and have full autonomy over themselves? Or would they lose it all and would they repeat the same actions they did historically?​

OR

B. Take on a third-person perspective, and be able to observe a version of themselves from another point in time in action.​

In addition to this, other considerations I made included:

• If time travel were possible, would it only be possible to go back and not forward, since technically it's impossible to observe what has not yet been done, and anything that has been observed is already in the past. And with that being said, would it be possible to return to the "present" after visiting the past?

• The subject of time travel often and understandably so stresses the criticalness of not altering the time continuum and creating a paradox. The question remains to be addressed though of just how fragile the continuum is. Even without directly interfering with history, simply allowing yourself to be seen or making any kind of physical alterations to anything could cause someone to lose their train of thought, forget something, or remember something that they otherwise forgot in the original timeline. This could then cause another person to perform actions with major historical consequences in the long run.

• How critical would the accuracy of anachronisms be? Assuming one could safely interact and be observed without critically altering time, would they need to completely shed themselves of all objects, words, and slang that didn't exist in that time? Or, would there be some flexibility here, allowing one to show off objects that though were made too late to have actually existed in the time that they traveled to, the object retains a look that allows it to still look like it belongs. Make sure to check the dates on your cash before bringing it with you.

• Observation and interaction. Observable light in space is old. Very old; with many of the stars you see actually being millions of years dead. So whether actually traveling in time is possible or not, theoretically what would the possibility be of "folding" your point in space to simply observe the past, as the light continues to travel on.

I don't know. There's a lot involved. And I'm sure many more implications I never even thought to consider. Though I'm willing to discuss any thoughtful takes on the subject.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So several months ago I started pondering time travel and all the implications that would go along with it. The biggest one I considered was that if one was to to travel to another point in time, would they:

A. Take on a first-person perspective of themselves at that time, and would they exist at their age at that point in time or stay the same age as when they entered travel? And if they took on their original age at that point in time, would they retain all the memory and knowledge they had upon entering travel and have full autonomy over themselves? Or would they lose it all and would they repeat the same actions they did historically?​

OR

B. Take on a third-person perspective, and be able to observe a version of themselves from another point in time in action.​

• If time travel were possible, would it only be possible to go back and not forward, since technically it's impossible to observe what has not yet been done, and anything that has been observed is already in the past. And with that being said, would it be possible to return to the "present" after visiting the past?

• The subject of time travel often and understandably so stresses the criticalness of not altering the time continuum and creating a paradox. The question remains to be addressed though of just how fragile the continuum is. Even without directly interfering with history, simply allowing yourself to be seen or making any kind of physical alterations to anything could cause someone to lose their train of thought, forget something, or remember something that they otherwise forgot in the original timeline. This could then cause another person to perform actions with major historical consequences in the long run.

• How critical would the accuracy of anachronisms be? Assuming one could safely interact and be observed without critically altering time, would they need to completely shed themselves of all objects, words, and slang that didn't exist in that time? Or, would there be some flexibility here, allowing one to show off objects that though were made too late to have actually existed in the time that they traveled to, the object retains a look that allows it to still look like it belongs. Make sure to check the dates on your cash before bringing it with you.

• Observation and interaction. Observable light in space is old. Very old; with many of the stars you see actually being millions of years dead. So whether actually traveling in time is possible or not, theoretically what would the possibility be of "folding" your point in space to simply observe the past, as the light continues to travel on.

I don't know. There's a lot involved. And I'm sure many more implications I never even thought to consider. Though I'm willing to discuss any thoughtful takes on the subject.
Whatever point you travel from becomes your past

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

OR

Just don’t bring any of your sex dolls back in time you’ll wipe out the human race.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you time travel, you simply go back to yourself in that period of time. One cannot time travel farther than their personal lifespan since time for you, before your conception, time ceased to exist.. You will have zero knowledge of the future because it has yet to happen.

Last edited:

OR

kk1zu1tVwuecM.gif

oldngray

nowhere special
If you go back in time, please just observe.
Anything you do will change the future (or, the present).
Yes and no. You can't avoid changing the past but you create a new timeline. Creating alternate realities. And probably impossible to return to your original timeline.

OR

BxucwpCaTTQA0.gif

sailfish

If you go back in time, please just observe.
Anything you do will change the future (or, the present).
Yes and no. You can't avoid changing the past but you create a new timeline. Creating alternate realities. And probably impossible to return to your original timeline.
This would be subject to my second bullet point. Simply being seen, even without interaction, could be enough stir things up. You could cause someone to change their original walk pace, to forget or remember something they originally remembered or forgot, distract them from seeing something they originally saw, stop them from saying something they originally said, and where might that lead? There's no telling how big of a ripple it could cause in the timeline.

Which begs another question. Does the original timeline still exist parallel to where you traveled to? Or have you simply moved to another point on one ultimate timeline? And if traveling creates a parallel timeline, does a new one get created each time you or someone else moves?

sailfish

Whatever point you travel from becomes your past
Another good ponder. Would this imply that a new timeline is created when you travel? And if so, would traveling to the past simply recreate the past as you would have known it on the new timeline? And does this new timeline's "past" actually occur during the "present" on your original timeline?

sailfish

A big question to consider if traveling would in fact create a new timeline: do you still exist on your original timeline after traveling?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Another good ponder. Would this imply that a new timeline is created when you travel? And if so, would traveling to the past simply recreate the past as you would have known it on the new timeline? And does this new timeline's "past" actually occur during the "present" on your original timeline?
The real question is how many decesions a person makes in a lifetime could lead to another timeline, for example making a left on a road instead of a right

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The real question is how many decesions a person makes in a lifetime could lead to another timeline, for example making a left on a road instead of a right
But most people reset everyday. So if they made a left and it only changed minor events for that individuals day, then they went to work the next day and nothing different happened, nothing would change theoretically.

sailfish

But most people reset everyday. So if they made a left and it only changed minor events for that individuals day, then they went to work the next day and nothing different happened, nothing would change theoretically.
But to me changing the direction you drove is no minor change. How far out will that web span?