Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Millennials suck

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • don't give a crap

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

rod

Retired 22 years
Just read on MSN opening page that a study by Market Watch (whoever the hell they are) states that women are better tippers than men and Baby Boomers tip better than Millennials.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I tip 20% on a food bill. There is no standard demographic as far as tips. My father in law was a poor tipper and his daughter over tips.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I start at 20% and go up or down from there depending on the service. Average service-20%. Exceptional-more. Horrible-10%. And by horrible, I mean a server with a seriously bad attitude who stays away from the table. I can over look slow service in a real busy restaurant because that isn’t the servers fault. I’ve served tables and know how it works. No excuse for a server with a bad attitude.

oldngray

nowhere special
I start at 20% and go up or down from there depending on the service. Average service-20%. Exceptional-more. Horrible-10%. And by horrible, I mean a server with a seriously bad attitude who stays away from the table. I can over look slow service in a real busy restaurant because that isn’t the servers fault. I’ve served tables and know how it works. No excuse for a server with a bad attitude.

This is why I hate places that have a fixed charge for "tips" I always tip but the amount can vary widely depending on the service.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry -- if the serer is horrible they get NOTHING. There is a difference between a horrible server and one who is just having a bad day. There is a bartender at the VFW who has never once in many years smiled or said thank you. She also will grab money she "thinks" is a tip if you aren't looking. I used to tip her just out of habit (also never got a thanks for that either) She gets NOTHING.

oldngray

nowhere special
20% is the norm for us
20% is the usual starting point but I may double that for really good service. Or leave half if that if what the service deserves.

Always leave some kind of tip no matter how bad the service. A small tip gets the point across and lets them know you didn't forget about tipping.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Where I moved to I’ve noticed at multiple fast food restaurants, like Panera or Dunkin Donuts, that when I pay at the register, they turn the screen around for you to approve charge on a debit card and it always asks if you want to leave a tip. It even gives suggested amounts. NO! I’m not tipping someone at a register to do their job.

rod

Retired 22 years
Here's another question. If you are at a small bar and the owner is the only one working ---do you still tip. Normally I tip about half what I usually do.

rod

Retired 22 years
Another driver once tipped a good looking waitress 50 bucks after buying one beer. He though it would help him get in her pants. She quit that night and moved to Florida to be with her boyfriend. This was back when beers were 75 cents