Tips for new drivers

I just signed up to be a driver going to be getting training soon then probably start driving.. Any tips for newbies? Whats the hardest part about being a driver? Is it hard to find your way around and try finding where each package goes? For some reason i have a feeling of getting lost out there on the road and not know where im going lol thanx

P

pickup

better minds than mine will respond to this but let me just say two things, don't hit nuthin' And depending where you are will make this advice more or less important. Stay hydrated, if you are heat exhausted, your awareness will just be about your body and not your truck and the things around your truck .

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Stay focused on the job. Most important, stay focused on driving safe.

Now, you will be tempted to think that all this new and strange stuff is overwhelming. And it is. But remember, there have been a lot of UPSers to come before you, and they did it. They learned the routes, the short cuts etc. So unless you are really short on brains, it should be OK.

Dont get overly frustrated either. IF you get overwhelmed, just take a few seconds to regroup your mind.

And probably the best would be to find a driver that has at least 10-15 years in to mentor you. Dont ask him to do it for you, but to teach you how he does it.

d

over9five

Staff member
Be nice to everyone.
Every route has one maroon that everyone talks about hating to deliver to. Whenever I went on a route for the first time, I would always make the maroon my best friend.
One easy step, and you've taken care of the "worst" stop!

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I don't know how many stops they send out rookies with now days, I can only imagine it's getting harder to make the cut now vs back in my days. The most important part is to remember where you going. Get a map of the route and highlight the area and streets, drive your own car on the route for the weekend, Get a feel of the area, mark down the even and odd number side of the streets if that helps. first few days expect nothing, pick up the speed as you go along into the second week. good luck.........

thanx Vengence... im assuming im putting to much stress on myself, it seems most of the guys dont have problem finding there way around... i'll have to pay close attention when i go out with a supervisor and bring a map with.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Lets put it this way.

You are invited to a party of UPS drivers. You dont know one, not one. So when you get there, your sup introduces you to all of them and they to you. All 250 of them. And of course, they all look alike, as they are all wearing brown

Now, right after the party, which you left right after meeting the last driver, I ask you what their names were, in the order you met them.

Would be pretty hard to do, wouldn't it. Only after you spend some time with the group of drivers would you be able to know the main 10%, an as time went on, more. Of course, anything that happens to make a driver really stand out, that name would be remembered earlier.

Same thing with a route. You will remember things that stand out pretty quick. But on the first few days, your mind will be on overload.

And believe it or not, the first day on your own is the day you will learn the most. Dont sweat it.

One last thing, once you punch out, punch out. Dont take UPS home with you.

d

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Everyday you will be behind and everyday will have new challenges, but don't get down or try to catch up by driving crazy. You can't make up time by driving, and don't worry about it. They will send help and don't feel bad because you need it. At the end of the day all will be okay and just stay focused. If you live in an area that is really hot takes LOTS AND LOTS of water and learn how to use a PIt stop bottle....LOL

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
It will really depend on what type of delivery vehicle they are using by the time you actually drive - my guess is that packages will simply be "transported" ala Star Trek

Been a year since I passed Integrad in MD. Still have Big Arms

ups1990

First of all, bring a lunch.

Bring water. Put some in the freezer overnight, you'll have cold water all day.

Buy a thomas brothers map book.

If you stay on the same route. Ask a fellow driver(s) on how best to run it.

Your frame of mind should be, "I'll probably be staying out late" By the third and fourth day, trust me, things will look better.

Drive safe, work safe while working with a sense of urgency.

Look around at the different drivers. Some are Men, Women, tall, short, slim, fat. Tell yourself. They can do it, so can I.

rod

Retired 22 years
First of all, bring a lunch.

Bring water. Put some in the freezer overnight, you'll have cold water all day.

Buy a thomas brothers map book.

If you stay on the same route. Ask a fellow driver(s) on how best to run it.

Your frame of mind should be, "I'll probably be staying out late" By the third and fourth day, trust me, things will look better.

Drive safe, work safe while working with a sense of urgency.

Look around at the different drivers. Some are Men, Women, tall, short, slim, fat. Tell yourself. They can do it, so can I.

Ignore the fat ones ------they are just feeder drivers:wink2:

bigbrownhen

You will be overwelmed the first week or so, especially the first day by yourself on route. Just remain calm and do the job safely. Drive Safe, Work safe. Most important. Once you get the hang of things and think you got this, they will throw you a curve ball, over dispatch and give you a new area you don't know. Your first 30 days will be stressful, but you can do it, we have all been there. Good luck and be safe.

Post here and let us know how its going. There are alot of good people here who can give a little advice.