Tips for new drivers

Re-Raise

Re-Raise/Cementups: the problem with you and Re-Raise is that you aren't the arbitor's of "who's place" anything in this forum is or will be. The rookie wanted to know what to expect(your words) and nothing I've said hasn't happened. When that Ra-Ra attitude is examined a little, it looks somewhat different. The vaunted methods and Management(as you have pointed out) leave alot to be desired. Time studies and allowances....on and on. Working off the clock(what you are really doing) affects all your co-workers. You have to do it to "help you succeed in your career". Management expects it. Counts on it. You are part of the problem. As stunning and "baffeling" as that can be. I will retire. Soon enough. Trying to "kill the messenger" solves nothing. Delivering packages for real(vs. some shiny brochure or commercial) has a lot of aspects that aren't addressed by methods and allowances. I've talked about those very things. I didn't like that aspect of it and it's up to the rookie to decide if he does. Re-Raise: I'm glad you've discovered that there are indeed different types of people working at UPS.

I use " " when I am quoting someone. Who said "who's place" ,"help you succeed in your career", "baffeling"(sp) and "kill the messenger".

Nobody is telling this guy to work off the clock. He isn't even a driver yet. He asked what he could do that might help him as a new driver.

When I was a loader I made a mental note of how the routes were traced. Is that wrong in your mind.

Wow Did you tell them you would do the absolute minimum that you could get away with when they hired you?

I told them I could do whatever they threw at me and I meant it.

W

want to retire

Re-Raise: Are you talking about bare min. on or off the clock? When is this guy going to do all this checking his route before hand.....if it isn't off the clock? So are you suggesting he work off the clock. Unless there is a new method I don't know about.

City Driver

I think that is a very good idea for a guy who is doing l.t.l with a tractor trailer. How many times have you gone someplace blind , got to the right address, and found out that the dock is around the block in the opposite direction that your truck is facing and have to go 2 miles down the road before you can pull a u turn ?

yea it happens alot, most places you go you can only get to the docks 1 or 2 ways, and if its not labeled good enough and u take a wrong turn u will be hung up somewhere without nearly enough room to turn the truck around

it does happen, but theres steps u can take to avoid it....such as driving the route on your own time.....it also helps because you know which way to come in so that you dont have to blindside it

Re-Raise

Re-Raise: Are you talking about bare min. on or off the clock? When is this guy going to do all this checking his route before hand.....if it isn't off the clock? So are you suggesting he work off the clock. Unless there is a new method I don't know about.

I guess our definition of work is different. It made me more comfortable to know a little about the area I might have to deliver to. I wasn't the one who even suggested it. I have had a bid route for 17 years and most of the towns my center delivers to I already knew well because I have lived in this area my whole life.

I just can't believe you feel that is somehow doing free work for UPS. Do you take any responsibility for bringing any knowledge with you to the job? Why can't an employee do things on their own time to help them perform their job?

I sometimes do stretches to help prepare my body for the job OFF THE CLOCK. Is this allowed?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Remember that scene from Twin Peaks when the waitress is being questioned?
Irene at Hap's: [a waitress is being interviewed while drinking coffee and smoking] I don't do drugs.
Stanley: Caffeine's a drug. Nicotine's a drug.
Irene at Hap's: [annoyed] Who's the towhead?

Re-Raise

Remember that scene from Twin Peaks when the waitress is being questioned?
Irene at Hap's: [a waitress is being interviewed while drinking coffee and smoking] I don't do drugs.
Stanley: Caffeine's a drug. Nicotine's a drug.
Irene at Hap's: [annoyed] Who's the towhead?

Am I the Irene or Stanley? :happy-very:

I guess we should have just told this new guy to hop off the short bus with his helmet on and trust UPS management to help him along.

City Driver

i think we should be paid for all time spent on this website as it is work related

and when i help my brother move next weekend and im unloading the uhaul i should be paid for that time also, as long as i am in uniform

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess we should have just told this new guy to hop off the short bus with his helmet on and trust UPS management to help him along.

You know Stanley :happy-very:,
Until the guy makes seniority, he should prudently follow advise that will result in achievements that will impress UPS management and that is generally going to be things that UPS management gets measured on - over-allowed, missed packages, etc. :anxious:

There is plenty of time for your approach after seniority. :wink2:

When I went driving (over 30 years ago), I found out the route I would be running, bought maps, drove the area, made notes before my first day on the job. I also made sure I stayed away from the drivers with negative attitudes, the locker-room lawyers, etc.
This impressed my management and by day 21, I was moved to a swing driver. Once I got seniority, I started asking for company supplied map books, learned the cover routes on the job and took my lunch. Still stayed away from the drivers with negative attitudes and the locker-room lawyers but took their splits to get the extra hours. Then as now, I'm in it for the money. :wink2:

Last edited:

Re-Raise

i think we should be paid for all time spent on this website as it is work related

and when i help my brother move next weekend and im unloading the uhaul i should be paid for that time also, as long as i am in uniform

I should be paid for any time I have to listen to a UPS joke.

City Driver

i hope you all dont think freight drivers are immune to the bad jokes

yes, ive heard the fed ex and UPS are merging joke atleast 20 times since we became UPS Freight

Re-Raise

A kid goes with his dad to buy a horse. The dad walks around the front of the horse and slides his hands down the horse's legs. He goes behind the horse and starting on the horse' s back runs his hands down the horses back legs.

The little boy says Dad what are you doing. The father answers I am thinking about buying this horse and I am making sure it is a good one.

The little boy says dad we have to get home I think the UPS guy wants to buy mom!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
You know Stanley :happy-very:,
Until the guy makes seniority, he should prudently follow advise that will result in achievements that will impress UPS management and that is generally going to be things that UPS management gets measured on - over-allowed, missed packages, etc. :anxious:

There is plenty of time for your approach after seniority. :wink2:

When I went driving (over 30 years ago), I found out the route I would be running, bought maps, drove the area, made notes before my first day on the job. I also made sure I stayed away from the drivers with negative attitudes, the locker-room lawyers, etc.
This impressed my management and by day 21, I was moved to a swing driver. Once I got seniority, I started asking for company supplied map books, learned the cover routes on the job and took my lunch. Still stayed away from the drivers with negative attitudes and the locker-room lawyers but took their splits to get the extra hours. Then as now, I'm in it for the money. :wink2:
Well said, Hoke.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Hello everyone, while I'm new to this forum, I have 28 years with the Company. 8 years non operation/15 years package/5 years feeder. The non operation years were like real life: normal hours and a REAL lunch break. My newbie experience as a package driver was a change to put it mildly. A whole different company. Your success will depend really on a few things. How much do you want to be a package driver? Want that good money? If you're just in it for the money, you won't be happy. I had 8 years with the Co. and was forced to drive(or leave the Co.)(due to oper. changes). Knowing now...I'd never become a package driver. The hardest thing for me to accept was the outright manipulation of time and the dishonesty from management(time, allowances etc.). Your acceptance of the "system" will make you successful. Accept: you will be run to exhaustion. Forget about a break( you take that hour lunch for the forseeable future and you will be hopelessly behind). It will be a long time before you get "good at it". Negative? Maybe. But then again, I never wanted to be a package driver. Realize this: You are always being watched(in all repects). OJS, records, secretely, vehicle.... Don't ever be dishonest(see above). Own up to your errors, mistakes, accidents. Dishonesty(as always) is the quickest way to lose your job. Your best effort will quite often not be good enough. Your job set up is calculated by a computer and does not consider intangibles(unknowns). The Co. doesn't recognize these either. Your day will be full of delays, changes and all manner of non-recognized things. Your job is to be able to make it all fit in the allowed time. Your success depends on how good a juggler you really are(at least initially). Time on the area will make it easier. Remember supervisors get paid (and get to keep their jobs) to squeeze every last drop of performance out of the drivers. On the other hand.....maybe you are happy go lucky and roll with anything. Good for you. A professional attitude will make you a better driver. A few comments on what a few others have said: about the driving your area off the clock. This is WRONG. It is the same as the Co. expecting you to work through your lunch and set up your car prework and post. See above about dishonesty and time manipulation. You are not salaried. You should not have to buy any maps, supplies etc. You should be able to learn the job in the given amount of time. Still want to be a package driver? Good luck. It can be done and is all the time.
You have some real good tips here and have saved me alot of typing. I hope he reads this and takes it all in. I couldn't have said much of this better myself

W

want to retire

Hoaxster: "Until the guy makes seniority...." Thanks for reinforcing my argument. You guys won't admit it. Dance all all around it. Unrelated horse stories, helping your brother move........aside. Interesting for sure, but don't have anything to do with this topic. What almost all of you won't admit is that it's very difficult to make "seniority" without activities outside of the "methods", "training" and pay. Easy to understand. At least a rookie will know going in to expect these things. He'll find out about 4 hours into his first day on his own. And his next 19. Truth: be over allowed, miss packages, miss pick-ups....you won't make it. He'll do what he has to do to make it. It won't be anything like the training packett. Running, speeding, no handrail, working through lunch, poor release locations.......you know: tips for new drivers......

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoaxster: "Until the guy makes seniority...." Thanks for reinforcing my argument. You guys won't admit it. Dance all all around it. Unrelated horse stories, helping your brother move........aside. Interesting for sure, but don't have anything to do with this topic. What almost all of you won't admit is that it's very difficult to make "seniority" without activities outside of the "methods", "training" and pay. Easy to understand. At least a rookie will know going in to expect these things. He'll find out about 4 hours into his first day on his own. And his next 19. Truth: be over allowed, miss packages, miss pick-ups....you won't make it. He'll do what he has to do to make it. It won't be anything like the training packett. Running, speeding, no handrail, working through lunch, poor release locations.......you know: tips for new drivers......

I was responding directly to a person looking for advise how to make it as a driver. I respond to people as individuals and not as part of some group.
You can twist what I said anyway you want.
If I may suggest, try responding to the individual person every once in a while rather than promulgating the collectivism propaganda.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

Accept: you will be run to exhaustion.

Forget about a break( you take that hour lunch for the forseeable future and you will be hopelessly behind).

But then again, I never wanted to be a package driver.

I don't run and I have never been exhausted from delivering packages

I take my lunch every day

I did and this new guy might want to be one

Brown_Eyed_Girl

This might create a laugh, but learning the directions of street numbers i.e. here it's west the numbers get larger and east they get smaller. Never paid attention to that until becoming a pt driver. If I needed to go somewhere, just looked it up on a map and went.

Landmarks, take notes if need be, protein bars for energy during your long day and lots of water which people already mentioned.