Tips for new drivers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This might create a laugh, but learning the directions of street numbers i.e. here it's west the numbers get larger and east they get smaller. Never paid attention to that until becoming a pt driver. If I needed to go somewhere, just looked it up on a map and went.

Learning number breaks and how the numbers run high to low/low to high is crucial and a great time saver. Learning the numbers at or near cross streets also helps.

Landmarks, take notes if need be, protein bars for energy during your long day and lots of water which people already mentioned.

All good points.

As you progress and you get your own run, you will learn many more "shortcuts" which are all within the methods but will save you time.

Knelson86904

I just started qualifying on the busiest road in my city and all I can say is figure out where you can park in those busy business stops and check if an air has packages for later and get them done then plus I have alot of construction and high risers with multiple addresses so ask what all addresses go to that stop and learn your detour roads if you cant make the main route. Once I learned what business I could park on main street. And my turn around and detour spots it got easier. I'm on day 7 and have 140 stops but not many pick ups thank God. Hope this helps. Plus I had my supervisor print my route out and drove and studied it. A month of busting ass is worth the money and benefits for me and my son. Wish you the best

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I just started qualifying on the busiest road in my city and all I can say is figure out where you can park in those busy business stops and check if an air has packages for later and get them done then plus I have alot of construction and high risers with multiple addresses so ask what all addresses go to that stop and learn your detour roads if you cant make the main route. Once I learned what business I could park on main street. And my turn around and detour spots it got easier. I'm on day 7 and have 140 stops but not many pick ups thank God. Hope this helps. Plus I had my supervisor print my route out and drove and studied it. A month of busting ass is worth the money and benefits for me and my son. Wish you the best
Thank you for the tips. going to incorporate these into my day, only been on this route for 16 years, but can always use the help.

542thruNthru

Welcome to Brown Cafe.
giphy-121.gif

You're knowledge will be a great asset to all.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
1822180C-E184-43AB-B9DB-51F6AC743F59.jpeg

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Any help with my 5s and 10s?

freehoodies

I don't know how many stops they send out rookies with now days, I can only imagine it's getting harder to make the cut now vs back in my days. The most important part is to remember where you going. Get a map of the route and highlight the area and streets, drive your own car on the route for the weekend, Get a feel of the area, mark down the even and odd number side of the streets if that helps. first few days expect nothing, pick up the speed as you go along into the second week. good luck.........
N/Even S/Wodd is how it goes in most cities, north and east sides of the street are even sided houses etc…

whenever you hit mapnav the screen is oriented north to the top of the diad so that tells you what side of the street your next stop will be, but theres always that one house on the wrong side that will get you 😂

Also (for the most part) all numbered streets (35th ave, 49th ct etc) will go the same N/S or E/W direction in a city.

Find the center of the map in your city, usually right by city hall or somewhere important in the heart of the city. From that point is where the NW, NE, SE, and SW part of addresses emanate.

The building numbers will start from there and get higher the further away you get from there. Those numbers will correlate to the numbered avenues, for example 5602 brown street NE will be one of the first houses on the right hand side going north past 56th ave on brown street.

Eventually you will be able to look at any address and have a rough idea of where it is, even without a map.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
4A831CC6-E736-4857-84FF-B1C29E39A787.gif