Tips for New Sup *On Topic*

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ever tried to utilize the 8 Keys to Lifting and Lowering while trying to keep up with management's flooded belt PPH expectations? I doubt it.
What is the 8 Keys stuff? Been working at UPS for decades- safely, and cannot recite more than maybe 2 lines from that.

MrFeeder

Many years ago, within the first two weeks of working with the company I was asked if I wanted to be a part time Supervisor. I was in disbelief and excited. I was like "You mean I get to stand around and not pick up one package?!" I ended up not doing it and years later with more education about the company, I realized that being asked to be a part time supervisor without any knowledge of the culture of UPS is actually a booby trap. They take that advantage of an ignorant new hire.

BasedSupe

The safety of everyone in your area always comes first. Every trailer should have a loadstand, regardless if the workers use it or not. Retainer straps should be hung up in the 'U' position to prevent someone from getting a leg wrapped and tripping.
Worker comes to you with an injury, you're not a doctor. Take them immediately or ask them if they want to go see the designated safety personnel.
Get everyone in your area's phone number. Make sure they have yours. Take time to know each person individually.

CentralSup

People before packages. Treat everyone working under you with respect. Get to know your work group. You'll meet the folks who like to talk or bull:censored2: and those that like to keep to themselves and keep their head down while working; be sure to respect that.

I always liked to ask my hourlies how management could improve or ways the sort could improve. Don't think your always right with every decision you make, be humble and take advantage of their feedback on what can be done better.

Showing them a bit of compassion can go a long ways in helping keep morale up. No one wants to work for a :censored2: bag.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Anybody who starts as an hourly right now and expects to retire with a pension is a fool.
Any salary guys who started 10 years ago and thought they would have a pension are major fools......it's already being taken away.....also any sups or dispatchers that loved Orion a couple of years ago might also be fools when there is no need for their jobs anymore