Tips for New Sup *On Topic*

BrownsNaive_Flunkie

Back By Popular Demand
On Monday, I officially begin training as a PT sup. I have ideas that I think will help trailers turn faster BUT I'm throwing all of it out the window. Goal is to become a FT within 1-2 years, right now, I need to learn how to be the best PT Unload Sup I can be.

I'd prefer tips/insight from sups(current/past) ONLY! Thanks

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
don't touch packages
don't be a jerk

put everything you have into training new hires the methods perfectly

audit your current guys in the methods and safety DOK

the PPH will come with all that, no tricks necessary

BrownsNaive_Flunkie

Back By Popular Demand
don't touch packages
don't be a jerk

put everything you have into training new hires the methods perfectly

audit your current guys in the methods and safety DOK

the PPH will come with all that, no tricks necessary
The 1st will be hard b/c today we had 3 sups on a hardware only trailer to ensure we finished on schedule, and they regularly encourage them to speed us up if the want to get a specific number of turns within the first hour. I'll try though.

BrownsNaive_Flunkie

Back By Popular Demand
First thing you need to do is call the DM and explain to him in great detail how your going to whip the preload into shape
After we voiced concerns in pre-seniority meeting, that whole week I witnessed our DM implementing a few changes to address them. Sups now mark on scorecard all trailers that are not properly restrained with straps or bar.

IzzyTheNose

3 part-time sups went FT about a year and a half ago at my hub. 2 of them had over 5 years with the company, the other had worked only 2.5 years (roughly), and wasn't even 25 years old. None of them had degrees, or were in school.

Becoming a FT lead doesn't depend solely on having a degree or being in school. The 3 guys I mentioned all had a good head on their shoulders, were well liked amongst upper management while still PT sups, and were all respected in the areas they were tasked with running. It also helped that they almost always hit their numbers (they knew how to run an area no matter where they were).

Not a sup, but I've worked for UPS for nearly a decade, and can honestly say I've only ever worked for 4 supervisors who actually had not only a good understanding of how to run an area, but navigate around union BS, worker self-entitlement and personality clashes.

My advice would be:

- Pick your battles; know when to lean on someone, and when to give them space.
- Don't be above taking advice on how the area should run from the people who are actually paid to work it. Your job is to supervise, this doesn't automatically mean you're qualified to run the area you're in charge of.
- Figure out who your strongest people are, and who are your weakest. But whatever you do, don't rely solely on your best people 100% of the time. They're people, not machines. This is a surefire way to burn them out, and create animosity/kill morale.
- Remember that at the end of the day, you're being paid to stand around with your hands in your pockets and watch other people work. This means they'll pay the price for your mistakes. Own up to those mistakes whenever they happen, and try to make it so you don't duplicate them. Some of the worst sups I've ever had the displeasure of working for lacked common sense, and would repeat the same mistakes.
- Show your appreciation for a worker or workers that work hard for you (bottled water or pizza goes a long way). Just because the company has gotten rid of employee recognition, doesn't mean you have to.

That's all I've got. Good luck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
you sound like some managers i've known

shows how little you know about the methods i suppose
Best thing my ft sup taught me to help me make scratch.

"For the next 30 days forget all the bs safety junk you've learned and just get it done as fast as possible"

I will say don't much remember what PT DOK questions that were related to the methods. It's been awhile.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I am going to treat then fair but firm establishing a great working relationship. This way they will respect me and work harder than ever !!!
Blood understood the Native mind.
He said: " We must be firm but kind."
A Mutiny resulted.
I never shall forget the way
That Blood upon this awful day
Preserved us all from death.
He stood upon a little mound,
Cast his lethargic eyes around,
And said beneath his breath :

"Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim Gun, and they have not."

Ever tried to utilize the 8 Keys to Lifting and Lowering while trying to keep up with management's flooded belt PPH expectations? I doubt it.

yes?

Slow walker

I knew a driver that had masters from a very good school. I asked him one time why he didn't go into management and he said " how many of them have you seen retire". Ups takes em in young with no experience tells them to match numbers but they never really manage anyone. If you have to ask permission from ATL or whoever above you're not managing people. The old guys knew how each person was motivated and the good ones knew how to make it work for his center.

DOK

On Monday, I officially begin training as a PT sup. I have ideas that I think will help trailers turn faster BUT I'm throwing all of it out the window. Goal is to become a FT within 1-2 years, right now, I need to learn how to be the best PT Unload Sup I can be.

I'd prefer tips/insight from sups(current/past) ONLY! Thanks
Why would you want FT management at this company with no pension and the way you'll be treated?