Ti's the Season to be Jolly...the positive aspects of working here during peak?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a tight residential subdivision on my route where literally every house on one street has young children, and the entire neighborhood goes all out with their outdoor Christmas lights and decorations.

Sometimes I will save that neighborhood for last. Its actually rather pleasant to deliver there on a crisp, clear night when its pitch black outside but the entire street is lit up with Xmas lights and you can see the kids inside looking out the windows and wondering what I am bringing to the door. Everybody hollers "thank you" or "merry Christmas" to me as I am walking back to the truck.

It sure beats lumping 1500 lbs of pig iron up onto someones dock on a 100 degree day in August.

It`s only 3 1/2 weeks long this year, actually less in feeder.

It`s actually a bit easier because of the temps that come up from package car.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In my area, the stores offered...buy one get one free...on Butterball turkeys. You could buy one for your family and donate the other one to food pantry. Problem solved.

lovemyupser

Something positive about Peak. Knowing that my husband who is a UPS driver will come home to a hot meal, a warm shower and World of Warcraft. I have learned to leave him be and let him do his own thing after work and some dinner. That hour or 2 (if he is lucky) is his time to clean his mind from UPS. Today was the first day in a week that he was home at a normal time. They didn't load him down to bad today since it was his birthday and we had dinner plans. I know the best part for him was topping out last month. Then the 2nd best part is when his daughter and I leave for Texas for our mini vacation to see my parents. He's happy he doesn't have to drive the 10 hours with us to see the "in-laws".

Thank you to all the UPS drivers. You guys and gals work your butts off so we can have our packages delivered.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Something positive about Peak. Knowing that my husband who is a UPS driver will come home to a hot meal, a warm shower and World of Warcraft. I have learned to leave him be and let him do his own thing after work and some dinner. That hour or 2 (if he is lucky) is his time to clean his mind from UPS. Today was the first day in a week that he was home at a normal time. They didn't load him down to bad today since it was his birthday and we had dinner plans. I know the best part for him was topping out last month. Then the 2nd best part is when his daughter and I leave for Texas for our mini vacation to see my parents. He's happy he doesn't have to drive the 10 hours with us to see the "in-laws.

Thank you to all the UPS drivers. You guys and gals work your butts off so we can have our packages delivered.

Thanks for being a supportive wife. Taking the kids and leaving? He is one lucky guy.:peaceful:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks for being a supportive wife. Taking the kids and leaving? He is one lucky guy.:peaceful:
You know that is a really good idea.
Since I know I am physically and emotionally drained this time of year, having to not put on a facade, during a peak week, where I could grab a burger, and a shower, with no one expecting anything from me, Wow what a great idea. And the family can go have fun. Would work for me!
Not that we dont love our spouses and kids, most of us cherish them, as we should, but when you are shot, your shot.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I get to meet a lot of new people during Peak, I started my eighth different Helper yesterday. I have never seen anything like this with Helpers, usually I'm the first driver to start a Helper and I get my pick. The one I started yesterday actually amazed me, he would beat me back to the package car if I delivered one on the left side and he got one on the right side. But he is griping because he wants to start at 9:30 AM instead of 11, I have no use of a Helper to run Next Day Air. He is a PT Sorter on the night sort and he thinks he should be able to start whenever he wants to.

moreluck

golden ticket member
i hate everything about peak,, when i retire i hope the holidays will be fun again
You need to look in children's faces more! Not the bratty ones with the "I want" , "I want" syndrome. But, the ones who are barely old enough to know about money and are truly mesmorized by seeing the sparkly lights and the Santa characters.
stock-photo-adorable-boy-ready-for-christmas-21041341.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
i hate everything about peak,, when i retire i hope the holidays will be fun again
I wouldn't put it quite so strongly, but I basically agree. I don't look forward to peak, I don't enjoy peak, and I'm glad when peak is over. As far as the holidays being fun again, I would settle for them just being peaceful.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I wouldn't put it quite so strongly, but I basically agree. I don't look forward to peak, I don't enjoy peak, and I'm glad when peak is over. As far as the holidays being fun again, I would settle for them just being peaceful.

I would assume everyone in UPS Operations (hourly or management) feels that way. Every retired UPSer I have spoken to about this subject says its one of the best things about retirement. Peak pretty much sucks for all involved.

lovemyupser

He doesn't like the fact that I am driving this time a year. He just worries about us as I do when he is on his route. He know that my parents want to see the kids, so he told me to go. His parents on the other hand told me I should not go on a mini vacation without him. I told them that they can put it where the sun don't shine.

You know that is a really good idea.
Since I know I am physically and emotionally drained this time of year, having to not put on a facade, during a peak week, where I could grab a burger, and a shower, with no one expecting anything from me, Wow what a great idea. And the family can go have fun. Would work for me!
Not that we dont love our spouses and kids, most of us cherish them, as we should, but when you are shot, your shot.
The day before I leave I will make up all his dinners and put them in the freezer that way when he gets home he can put them in the microwave and have a nice hot dinner. We love each other dearly, but since I don't have to work its nice that I can take off and visit family. I just work it around school, which is nice that i can finish my degree. Just like this summer I will drive the 2500 miles to my home town in California while he works. When I get back we will be leaving to Disney World for our family vacation.

Did you get him Cataclysm for Xmas?

He got it for his birthday which was Friday. We downloaded it so it will go live on the 7th.