To cut down on Double shifting, UPS asks people not work normal shift.

RealPerson

Don't hate the new guy who is just trying to work a PT job and a PT pay check. He was maybe happy to switch sorts rather then be laid off. Your focus should be on NO PT sups working.

SUPS on my shift do NOT work.
I think they might on the 5-9 shift where he came from.
I Do NOT think he was going to be laid off on the 5-9. Slim to no chance. They use to call people to double shift often before this.

So, stop with all of that.
I was just seeing if my Senior People who usually double shift on the HUB, were getting screwed out of "extra" work...

RealPerson

4000 pieces is what 3 trailers?
We have several small trailers come in. 7 Trailers. we usually get done in 2.5 hours.
Keep in mind out of the 9 people. 1 is on irregs 1 is a splitter 2 sorters 2 unload and then we load 10 trailers so it is a lof of back and forth..
7 people on an entire shift? We have 6 people on a belt....I can't imagine a building that tiny!
It's just the hub shift, we have hundred on Pre-load I believe.

upsslave

Ups attempted the same thing with me yesterday. I am reload and sub on preload as needed. We are way short handed on both shifts. I got a call at 5am asking if id do am counter. I said sure. I got a phone call from sup at 1030am telling me I was filling in on am counter for rest of week and that I wasn't to go in on my regular shift. Bs. I had a complete fit. They then tried to say I could work a total of 5hrs day. 2 1/2 am and same at night. Bs. I'm guarenteed 3 1/2 on my regular shift. I spoke to my union president and by the middle of my regular shift they came and told me I could stay until my job was done. They approved the ot. Suprise

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
So,

My shift is worked at the Bare Bones of people. When we have vacations or optional days, we normally call in Double shifters.

Now, UPS is asking employees to not work their normal shift to work on my shift, and saying this is NOT extra work, and they do not need to call a double shifter.

I can see how the person not working their normal (other) shift is Not getting anything extra, BUT it is taking away from the people who use to double shift.

Also, this bring about why do we even have Transfers to Other shifts, if UPS can move you (If asked) to any shift they want.

Did you say anything to anyone of the Stewards or call the B.A or just get on your phone and complain?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
FYI it was discussed at the Local Hearings yesterday and UPS paid the top senior person on the double shift list for the time she grieved for and they were told they could no longer do that by the company labor manager. Maybe you should bring things like this to the attention of the people that can do something about it instead of an internet forum!

RealPerson

Did you say anything to anyone of the Stewards or call the B.A or just get on your phone and complain?
Yes, I did.
My Local Steward, and a Steward from another shift.
I asked them BEFORE the Local Meeting.
Both at that time said they had no Idea as it was something new UPS was trying to sneak in.
My Steward then said they would get with the BA for clarification.

Couple days later the Steward from the other shift said the BA wasn't to happy about it, but it was still being investigated.

I cam to the Forum to see what OTHER centers are doing and if this was a Local or National thing UPS was doing.

NO I did Not call the BA and bother him since he seems so busy, I believe that is what the stewards are for since this did not affect me directly. I was just looking out for my fellow union employee and making sure UPS didn't start some shady stuff and it get out of hand.

So YES, I did get with the right people, more than one, and I also wanted to see what the rest of UPS was doing.

Please don't assume...
Have a Wonderful day!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
SUPS on my shift do NOT work.

Come to my building. Very often sups look like this:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8659-1374246993-13.gif

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I don't see what the problem is.

Our Twilight typically needs a larger number of workers on Monday than it does the rest of the week. Conversely, our Preload typically works fewer employees on Monday than it does the rest of the week. Historically, Twilight sought Preloaders to pull a doubles to satisfy its staffing needs but in the past several years UPS has asked for volunteers from Preload to work Twilight instead. I use to volunteer because I enjoyed getting off work at 9AM Friday and not going back in until 5PM Monday. Plus I'd work an extra hour on Twilight vs. Preload, so I made more money for the week.

annie345

I have filed a grievance on this issue.. In the southern region a person must work their shift to qualify for extra work. If the company let's them have their shift off to work another shift, that's a pay claim. Anyone who signed the double shift list has a pay claim

RealPerson

I have filed a grievance on this issue.. In the southern region a person must work their shift to qualify for extra work. If the company let's them have their shift off to work another shift, that's a pay claim. Anyone who signed the double shift list has a pay claim
My Local is saying it is NOT extra work, it is the normal work that no one is doing, since someone is off for vacation or sick or so on.. LOL. They claim extra work is like an extra trailer or something we normally do not get.
Then I guess they are to call the laid off driver list first before any double shifters... (hasn't happened yet) UPS lost the first grievance...