To enable drivers to make Better Decisions

browned out

The title of this thread and the content in bold is from the UPS 1st Quarter Newsletter/Mailing.

Better Decisions? Oh, I get it....should I wear cotton or polyester socks in the summer? Should I get a salad or fries? ???

What types of decisions is UPS referencing? Is it the turn by turn audio navigation and diad standing upright on the dashboard initiative?

AND... if it is a distracting, mgmt. directed audio turn by turn direction in cab: why wasn't this disclosed to the members before the vote on the Master?

Turn by Turn Audio Directions in the package car is a major change in working conditions. We would have demanded more than .70 an hour raise if we knew that was coming.

Any ideas what enhancements will help us make better decisions? Do tell.

Delivery Information
Acquisition Device
(DIAD)
Drivers use this handheld tool
when delivering packages. Our next generation DIAD will integrate artificial
intelligence and other technology
enhancements to enable drivers to make
better decisions that help us meet our
customers’ unique needs and preferences.

ups.com/sustainability © 2018 United Parcel

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The title of this thread and the content in bold is from the UPS 1st Quarter Newsletter/Mailing.

Better Decisions? Oh, I get it....should I wear cotton or polyester socks in the summer? Should I get a salad or fries? ???

What types of decisions is UPS referencing? Is it the turn by turn audio navigation and diad standing upright on the dashboard initiative?

AND... if it is a distracting, mgmt. directed audio turn by turn direction in cab: why wasn't this disclosed to the members before the vote on the Master?

Turn by Turn Audio Directions in the package car is a major change in working conditions. We would have demanded more than .70 an hour raise if we knew that was coming.

Any ideas what enhancements will help us make better decisions? Do tell.

Delivery Information
Acquisition Device
(DIAD)
Drivers use this handheld tool
when delivering packages. Our next generation DIAD will integrate artificial
intelligence and other technology
enhancements to enable drivers to make
better decisions that help us meet our
customers’ unique needs and preferences.

ups.com/sustainability © 2018 United Parcel
You would demand more than 70 cents an hour raise for the implementation of Turn by Turn audio directions but not because of inflation and record profits by the company you work for?

browned out

You would demand more than 70 cents an hour raise for the implementation of Turn by Turn audio directions but not because of inflation and record profits by the company you work for?

That was a given. It was already addressed and demanded after record profits and the 21% new corporate tax rate.

This "Next Generation" DIAD crap was already in the pipeline. The union knew about it,

Yet these major changes in terms of employment and working conditions WILL NOT be disclosed to the members until after the CBA was voted on? WHAT?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

This "Next Generation" DIAD crap was already in the pipeline. The union knew about it,

Yet these major changes in terms of employment and working conditions WILL NOT be disclosed to the members until after the CBA was voted on? WHAT?

I'm running out of things to say, when you post this kind of stuff.

It's like you live on another planet.

Do you seriously think.... this is a failure of DFR ?

clean hairy

The artificial intelligence they refer to?
That would be a bunch of not so smart folks who have never touched a package, and have no clue about driving, believing they know how drivers can do their jobs more efficiently.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The artificial intelligence they refer to?
That would be a bunch of not so smart folks who have never touched a package, and have no clue about driving, believing they know how drivers can do their jobs more efficiently.
Code self-learning enhanced by simplified equations generated via chaos theory was something we could have done as early as the 90's.
Let that sink it.
29 years later. None of these corporate goons have been able to replace a skilled driver's route knowledge with that of an AI.
It's all about a bunch of idiots that think it is too risky an investment to fully fund this. Bless them.

browned out

What are you talking about?

A DFR Action regarding the New DIAD technology?

That would be a stretch.

If anything, it could be a contract violation under:

Section 4. Technological Change
1. Technological change shall be defined as any significant change
in equipment or materials which results in a significant change in
the work of the bargaining unit or diminishes the number of workers
in the bargaining unit.
2. The Employer and the Union agree to establish a National
Teamster/UPS Committee for Technological Change, consisting of
an equal number of representatives from the Union and UPS. The
Committee shall meet in conjunction with the National Grievance
Panel as necessary to review any planned technological changes.

Pretty simple Champ,

All Package Car Drivers including future 22.4s deserve to be informed of something as major as Audio Turn by Turn (work as instructed) and DIAD on the Dash.

Unless the union doesn't know about this yet??

UPS is touting it.

What is it?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
To make it harder for drivers to make the right decisions. To distract drivers by filling their ears with directions to stops that are arranged in a way that makes no sense.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants

It's like the concept of, work as directed, cause NO liability in any form, Follow the methods is difficult. Regardless of the contact conditions.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Section 4. Technological Change
1. Technological change shall be defined as any significant change
in equipment or materials which results in a significant change in
the work of the bargaining unit or diminishes the number of workers
in the bargaining unit.
If we all actually followed their "new and improved tech", which is all just a show for the public anyways, they would require more workers to achieve the same result.

GenericUsername

If we all actually followed their "new and improved tech", which is all just a show for the public anyways, they would require more workers to achieve the same result.

I was on a route all week that I was beating by 10+ miles and 2 hours due to not following Orion. It wanted me to break off and drive 5 miles out of the same neighborhood for pickups 3 different times. I'm pretty sure my ORS would've crapped a brick had I actually followed Orion.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I was on a route all week that I was beating by 10+ miles and 2 hours due to not following Orion. It wanted me to break off and drive 5 miles out of the same neighborhood for pickups 3 different times. I'm pretty sure my ORS would've crapped a brick had I actually followed Orion.
Follow it stop for stop and make them fix their "superior" system. I love following orion everyday...Sure I'll deliver NDA savers in the morning and deliver ground to the same place later in the day. That's one less stop I'll have to do later when they send someone to take work off me so I make it under 9.5 hours.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Follow it stop for stop and make them fix their "superior" system. I love following orion everyday...Sure I'll deliver NDA savers in the morning and deliver ground to the same place later in the day. That's one less stop I'll have to do later when they send someone to take work off me so I make it under 9.5 hours.

Except it's ground in the morning and savers after the commit time.