To feed(er) or not to feeder?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Thats the average. Im far from average buddy. Not trying to be arrogant, but I have bragging rights for all the things I've accomplished at just 19 yrs old. Plus I can become a truck driver before I'm 25.

Living in the parents' basement isn't much to brag about.

I'll have my own business before I graduate. I will certainly hire people like you and work them like a dog.

Paper route?

shampoohorn

A list of accomplishments that include saying "bro" more times in a single thread on the interwebs than ever thought possible. Move on Trolly McTrollerson. Either list the accolades that were requested of you, or dissolve into message board obscurity. Your move Bobby Fischer.

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
To be fair, when we were all young and dumb we thought we had it all figured out. Most of started as part timers with no intention of going full time let alone making UPS a career. Then reality intervened.

nightfly

DOIN IT WITH STYLE AND GRACE
I have been in Feeder for 27 years. Cake job if you are willing to pay the time on the bottom until you have enough seniority to bid a job. My run is in the S.friend. Bay Area. No sleeper team b.s. with some yahoo you have to trust your life with while you sleep, and he or she is behind the wheel. The good: Saved my body from the "meat grinder" that is known as package delivery and dealing with some fat slob of a supervisor telling me I am too slow and take too long delivering ,when he can't do the job himself, and is the first person and last person in the food line, and eats a lunch consisting of sugar and ketchup. I have been able to coach baseball, watch every game my son and daughter played in youth sports and in high school. Home every weekend and off every holiday. No work on Christmas eve. The Bad: You will work many different shifts and hours if you are a cover driver, and get a spoonful of crumbs as far as job selection depending the number of feeder runs in your building. You will often be tired and if you are married,you must have a very understanding wife. The Ugly: I have seen many of my buddies retire from package and they are physically beat. Back issues, knees problems, shoulder, you get the picture? You want quality of life once you retire. My opinion is this: It's not a perfect world. In feeder, many of my co- workers are overweight. I don't have that issue, nor do many others. You MUST remain physically active and disciplined with nutrition. Get no less than 6 hours of sleep but more if possible. Oh yeah, one more thing never lose the fear, or drive faster than it is safe, because when you wreck in Feeder, it ain't pretty. I have been able to achieve 27 years of safe driving just following common sense. Good Luck!

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a child the year before I went into feeders and a child the year after. Working evenings and nights worked out great for us. We had a neighbor who did childcare. If I was asleep when the wife left for work she would take the kids to daycare. If I was still awake, I'd make sure they were fed and I'd take them. Wife would usually pick them up. I scheduled all the kids doctor appointments for the afternoon, and I did all those. My son started playing t-ball, and I bid a job with a little later start time so I could stay there throughout his practices. Feeder jobs are great for having time to do other stuff. After the kids got older, it still worked for us. Instead of coming home and staying up to wind down, If I had a dr appointment or some errand that had to be run I would go to sleep as soon as I got home, get 6 or so hours of sleep and still have 5 or so hours before I had to be at work. Feeder hours don't work for all. Initially, I had a little trouble sleeping during the day. Dark curtains are a must. Unplug the phone to keep unwanted calls at bay. All my neighbors knew my hours, so they wouldn't disturb me. I had a note by my doorbell saying NO SOLICITORS, of course some door to door people can't read. Answering the door in your underwear is sure to scare off the Jehovah's Witnesses for at least a year :). If you're young, you can adapt, go into feeders the first chance you get. I waited too long. I retired this year at 59. Because of my knees, it's all I can do to step up on a curb without holding on to someone/something.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
I wish that was all I had to do. I really enjoyed seeing a long line of clean trucks in the line up. My father told me that. A long time retired Teamster. 86 years old and making $900.00 a month from Central States. Sounded pretty good 26 years ago. Just something for the young guys to think about.
Sound pretty sad when my retirement is already up to $3500 a month and I still have 10 years to go!

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Thats the average. Im far from average buddy. Not trying to be arrogant, but I have bragging rights for all the things I've accomplished at just 19 yrs old. Plus I can become a truck driver before I'm 25.
Hey baby boy, you want bragging rights, how about factually claiming you made 48g in 3 months while working on your masters thesis at 18??? My son did!

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hey baby boy, you want bragging rights, how about factually claiming you made 48g in 3 months while working on your masters thesis at 18??? My son did!

Good for your son. But the big difference between your son and I that holds weight is that I wasnt born with a silver spoon up the rear end. I never had a mom who made 70+ thousand dollars annually housing me in beverly hills while growing up. Everything that I have accomplished and have gotten is ALL because of me. I don't care about what you and anybody on here have to say, I came from nothing to something. I will always be proud of that, and you can't stop that. Have a nice day!!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Maybe, ain't, if you would show a little humility instead of telling us how great you are and how crappy we all are, you might get more respect.