to feeder or not to feeder??

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
To shift our Tractors you have to learn to "double clutch". I'll take a shot at explaining this. From a dead stop, with the shift lever in first gear, clutch lever depressed, slowly let out the clutch pedal and go until your engine speed is approximately 1800 rpm. Once you reach 1800 push in the clutch and move the gear shifter to the neutral position. Push the clutch back in and as the rpms fall, shift the lever to second gear. The rpm level when your shifting to second can be anywhere from 1600 to 1200 rpm; when your at the right rpm for that gear it will "snick" right in. You do this whole process very rapidly. Repeat the process for all 9 to 10 gears (some tractors have 9, some 10).

You also have to double clutch to downshift though the process is a little different. For example, if you want to shift from 9th to 8th you would do this: first, the tractor needs to slow down enough to require the downshift. When your RPM drops to around 1100, push the clutch in and put the gear level in neutral. Depress the throttle rapidly but do not exceed 1800 RPM. As the RPMs drop back down, push the clutch back in and put the gear lever in the next lowest gear, in this case 8th. This is again done very rapidly.

I also have to mention that our gear selectors have a dual range design. There is a switch by the top of the shift lever that lets you choose if you want to be in either the 1st through 5th, or 6th through 9th (10th) gear range. You proceed through the first range of gears (1-5), flick the switch, than proceed through the next set of gears (6-9,10). You do the same in reverse order for downshifting.

I have to agree with chev, shifting is hard to explain! My semi-clinical explanation is not a substitute for actually doing it.

A

Anonymous Gearjammer

If you are married, find out what time and days you will most likely be working then talk it over with your spouse making it a mutual decision. There are sadly several feeder drivers that have ending up getting divorced, once being in feeders for awhile. Not say it is the only reason for it happening. For example, a few drivers wives gave them a ultimatum, either you go back to package car or their out the door.

chev

Nightcrawler
To shift our Tractors you have to learn to "double clutch".
Double clutch? What's that?
I'm kidding of course. I rarely ever do it any more. The true function of double clutching is really a "timing" thing. It has no real mechanical function. Double clutching really is designed to allow time for the engine to get it Rpm's down to the proper shifting range. If you were to try and shift the tractor like you would a car you will find your rpms are too high. It takes longer for a tractor to drop it's rpm's than a car. Good description though. I don't think I would have the patience to write all that.

drewed

Shankman
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, but my brother said when he went to get his CDL they told him to skip gears going both ways, it didnt make much sense to me because going up you have to overly rev the engine and going down it would be hard on the transmission trying to slow down that much .....have you guys heard of this?

chev

Nightcrawler
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, but my brother said when he went to get his CDL they told him to skip gears going both ways, it didnt make much sense to me because going up you have to overly rev the engine and going down it would be hard on the transmission trying to slow down that much .....have you guys heard of this?
This is not something we are trained to do. I can understand why a driving school would say this though. Many of the over the road tractors are geared much differently than our tractors. That is to say, they sometimes have twice as many gears. So, the rpm range for each gear is so close that you could easilly skip a gear and go to the next. Most of us never use first gear because it barely gets you going.

drewed

Shankman
This is not something we are trained to do. I can understand why a driving school would say this though. Many of the over the road tractors are geared much differently than our tractors. That is to say, they sometimes have twice as many gears. So, the rpm range for each gear is so close that you could easilly skip a gear and go to the next. Most of us never use first gear because it barely gets you going.

Oh ok that makes sense thanks, my bro couldnt figure out why they told him that

mikestrek

Hey guys, Have any of you heard of "DOUBLE clutching"? Our feeder sup tried to train me that way, When you can just shift normaly.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Chev, you are right on about double clutching. It is just a process used to shift a tractor. Like you said, if you correctly match your RPMs, you really don't have to use the clutch, except as you said for 1st gear. I think you would agree with me though that people should learn the "by the book" way first before they get creative with their shifting.

Coldworld, as a transfer from Package, in my district, UPS paid for my private driver school tuition. They choose the school. The school was two weekends of training. I had to attend school on my time. You needed to have passed the written test and received your permit, first, before starting driving school. The school has nothing to do with you studying for, or passing, the written test. After I completed the school and passed my driving test, I waited almost three months until I actually started Feeders. That wasn't a bad wait, some do not start for years. Your first two weeks of Feeders you will be trained by a UPS supervisor in the methods the company wants you to use. You are paid for this training.

Mikestrek, read my description of double clutching a few posts back.

As for the married comments, the job can be tough on a marriage. If you have a rocky relationship, this job may not help it. My wife was happy for me at first, than not so happy when she realized what me working nights was like, and now she has learned to accept the situation because she knew how miserable I was in Package. She would much rather deal with my weird hours than my near depression caused by Package car driving. I have heard of a fellow driver who went to Feeders before me now being divorced. Feeders didn't cause it, but it may have been the straw that broke the marriage's back. Nevertheless, stating the obvious, if your marriage is strong, it will endure.

brett636

When you sign a feeder list are you given time to get your permit when they call you, or do you have to have your CDL permit when you recieve the call? Last feeder list they posted in my hub it mentioned needing your CDL permit, but why should someone take the time to get it if they aren't sure they are going to be called?

chev

Nightcrawler
Chev, you are right on about double clutching. It is just a process used to shift a tractor. Like you said, if you correctly match your RPMs, you really don't have to use the clutch, except as you said for 1st gear. I think you would agree with me though that people should learn the "by the book" way first before they get creative with their shifting.
I agree with you 100%. Learn it by the book Once you get familiar enough with it, you can get creative. Just don't be unsafe.

Bryishre

ktm atv racer
When you sign a feeder list are you given time to get your permit when they call you, or do you have to have your CDL permit when you recieve the call? Last feeder list they posted in my hub it mentioned needing your CDL permit, but why should someone take the time to get it if they aren't sure they are going to be called?

In a around about way they do. Just check with hr every so often and see how close you are to going to feeder school. Dont know about your state but in Virginia, you have to hold a cdl learners permit 30 days be for getting your cdl licence. As far as getting if they are unsureif they will be called. What happens if people dont pass feeder school? They go to the next in line and if you are not ready they will go to the next in line

diesel96

I believe if you get disqualified from feeders you can not bid on it again for another 6 months if needed.

As far as dbl clutching it's up to you, and your equipment. Some tranny's are stubborn and need a little help when you hit the sweetspot on the rpm tach, but you only have to depress the clutch an inch or two. Before you know it, your not even thinking about it and you go by ear.

You always need to be aware of getting plenty of sleep, eat healthy, and exercise when you can, or watch out. You'll go from a lean mean pkg delivery machine to driving a couch potato on wheels. Remember what happened to Elvis......Why do you think they call it Feeder Driver?.....cause we are always feeding when we are driving.

And be aware for the first couple of years, nothing will be routine. You will run a different route from week to week, a different time slot from week to week and will bounce from feeders to packages on a regular basis. But you know what? It's still better than humping packages..IMO of course.

feeder53

ADKtrails
If I had the choice, I would go feeders, I have driven the double bottoms and pups most of my career and have a lot of time behind the wheel in all kinds if weather.

rushfan

Pros-my body doesn't hurt, and A.C.

Cons-being a back up, the hours suck. I was on a run this week that started at 3:45 pm and ended when ever I got done. Couldn't see the kids. Some would say that's a good thing, I have to admit it wasn't.

Marriage has to be a strong one, or have a wife who understands the punishment of package driving to let you go into feeders.

I just got home about a half hour ago. it's 540 am. I worked 59.90 hours this week. I had a hard time staying awake tonight. Had to do many "safety checks" if you know what I mean to make it back.

chev

Nightcrawler
Pros-my body doesn't hurt, and A.C.

Cons-being a back up, the hours suck. I was on a run this week that started at 3:45 pm and ended when ever I got done. Couldn't see the kids. Some would say that's a good thing, I have to admit it wasn't.

Marriage has to be a strong one, or have a wife who understands the punishment of package driving to let you go into feeders.

I just got home about a half hour ago. it's 540 am. I worked 59.90 hours this week. I had a hard time staying awake tonight. Had to do many "safety checks" if you know what I mean to make it back.

I know how you feel. It can be particularly hard on cover drivers. One week you are working nights and maybe the next you are working days. It really plays havoc on your sleep and time with the family. Having a supportive wife is a big plus.
I have had a few of those "safety check" nights myself. I HATE driving like that. Some nights you do just about anything to keep yourself awake. I have the bruises to prove it. :crazy:

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

I remember those nights well. In the 70's the paid break was logged as off duty so you could end up with a 62.49 hour pay check and no one cared. I used to run between 3 hubs and keeping under 10 hours drive time a day was the key. Some Fridays I was so tired I'd tell the Dispatcher at end of 1st leg I got stuck in traffic so I couldn't go to Cleveland (before Middleburg was built). He'd say ok I need you to run a load to another center and then you go home from there.

Of course it was sort of in the direction of my home hub so it worked for both of us.

I also had room darkening shades and a white noise machine to enable me to get good rest sleeping during the day.