to feeder or not to feeder??

chev

Nightcrawler
So those "white noise" machines actually work to help you sleep?
With out a doubt. I have a fan going all year round. I can't sleep in dead silence, but on the same note, I can't sleep while the neighbor is cutting his grass. I would also like to find a shade that blocks out ALL light. I like it pitch black when I sleep. Right now I have two sets of blinds and a blanket over the windows. It's not pretty but it is functional.

Foamer Pyle

Just let your wife know that if you go into feeders you will be morfing into rotunda due to a lack of physical activity. I have seen guys go into feeders and they pack on the weight real quick.

rushfan

Thank goodness I may have my own bid run next week. I've been backup for about 2 years. Last peak it worked out that I had a schedule where I would work, and be back after 10 off. I couldn't imagine how it used to be being off 8 then back to work.

A few more things I've learned-
FIBER,FIBER,FIBER, AND MORE FIBER.

I too have a fan. I went to the fabric store and bought some material called "black out". The stuff used to cover the windows that keeps light out. I've tried Ambien, but it gives me massive headaches, and makes me pissed off. I take the natural supplement melatonin every once in a while.

I've learned to stay away from caffeine to stay awake at night. For me, it doesn't help, until I have to go to bed-then I'm wired. Limiting sleeping, except the "safety check" nap helps. Also, eating large meals at the small country cafe will surely put you to sleep. Don't trim your nose hair. Pulling it out helps you stay awake. Just be sure to wipe the steering wheel, shifter, switches, and door handle with Clorox wipes for the next driver.

Do I regret going to feeders? Absolutely not!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I also had room darkening shades and a white noise machine to enable me to get good rest sleeping during the day.

Ha, I was just discussing with my wife why I run the A/C window unit even with the weather turning colder now. The sound of the A/C blocks out most everything. I just turn the temp setting high enough so that the compressor rarely kicks on.

I should look into the white noise machine. I used to use ear plugs but they fall out and are odd feeling in my ears.

I bought the room darkening shades for the worst set of windows that let in light only to discover that each window you block only accentuates the windows you haven't. So I blocked a second set of windows and have only one set to go :happy2:.

I used to wear the eye shades with nearly the same results as the ear plugs.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Talking about naps, I devote my entire lunch to sleep. I bought a seat cushion for the metal box between the seats and along with a throw pillow, I get a pretty good nap laying across the seats/box. It gets me through the rest of the night.

Some guys build an upholstered board thats fits in the cab and makes a pretty nice "bed". This is a little too elaborate for me. I find my solution lumpy, but good enough :happy-very:.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Don't trim your nose hair. Pulling it out helps you stay awake. Just be sure to wipe the steering wheel, shifter, switches, and door handle with Clorox wipes for the next driver.

I'm glad you had the nerve to post one of my secrets. Your nose hair must grow faster than mine.

Fresh fruit & veggies work for a while too.

over9five

Staff member
Don't trim your nose hair. Pulling it out helps you stay awake.

Now here is interesting information! You really can learn so much on BrownCafe!

But...............

I gotta know..................

Isn't it hard to see after you yank that nostril hair out??? I mean, my eyes would water up big time!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now here is interesting information! You really can learn so much on BrownCafe!

But...............

I gotta know..................

Isn't it hard to see after you yank that nostril hair out??? I mean, my eyes would water up big time!

Guess that's what he means by, RUSHFAN!!!

Momo

I'm with UPS Freight. I've been doing feeders (we call it linehaul) since I was hired. There's no way else to say it, but working nights SUCKS! I started in our Harrisburg, PA facility, and in 2000 transferred to Memphis, TN, and it was a huge change in the way things are done. When I first started in Memphis, I ran locally and did that for about 3 years. I'm not gonna lie. Feeders are easy. Drive from A to B, crank down some gear, crank some back up, go back to A. But if I could make the same money running locally, that's what I would do. The lifestyle is much better. Live like a real human. Sleep when it's dark, work when it's light. But money for us is far greater on the road. Be safe!

chev

Nightcrawler
Talking about naps, I devote my entire lunch to sleep. I bought a seat cushion for the metal box between the seats and along with a throw pillow, I get a pretty good nap laying across the seats/box. It gets me through the rest of the night.

Some guys build an upholstered board thats fits in the cab and makes a pretty nice "bed". This is a little too elaborate for me. I find my solution lumpy, but good enough :happy-very:.
I do the same thing, but I cut the foam out of package car seats being tossed and cover it with a blanket. (don't use seat bottoms unless you like the smell of "swamp ass". ):sick:
I have been toying with the idea of putting mirrored window tint on my bedroom windows and then just a normal set of blinds over top. The "blanket over the window look" is getting old.

Treegrower

I am thinking about going to feeders when the chance arises. However, I was at a pig roast over the weekend. Tons of people there (no UPSer's though) except for one. An old Division manager of mine. We talked for ahile. He was one of the really good ones. I was sad to see him go, but that is another thread. Anyway I told him that I was seriously thinking about feeders. He said I better wait and see. He has been told that with UPS freight and fuel prices and the high coast of mantaining a feeder dept. that feeder was going to be spun off as a seperate UPS enity or combined with UPS freight and moved "off property." Anybody else hear that? I would be concerned for going into feeders now if that were to happen.

brownrodster

I have my Class A CDL and I'm just waiting it out until I can get into feeders. We have 2 feeder drivers retiring next year and I hope I can bid into one of the back up feeder spots that will open up.

In our center the current back up feeders take over the retired bid routes then back up feeder gos up for bid for pkg car drivers.