To/From Miles

Curious if there is a for sure method for figuring a routes to/from miles. I have a rural area that is approx. 18 miles to first stop from the center and varys, but averages about 18 from last stop back to the center. However, my to/from miles are set at 85. I know for a fact the higher the to/from miles are the more my sporh goes up. I've been explained that the 85 is from the center to the furthest point in my loop, then it is doubled. I don't agree with how they get that number. To me, to/from should be miles traveled to first stop and miles back to center from last stop. Anyone know if I am right or wrong?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Curious if there is a for sure method for figuring a routes to/from miles. I have a rural area that is approx. 18 miles to first stop from the center and varys, but averages about 18 from last stop back to the center. However, my to/from miles are set at 85. I know for a fact the higher the to/from miles are the more my sporh goes up. I've been explained that the 85 is from the center to the furthest point in my loop, then it is doubled. I don't agree with how they get that number. To me, to/from should be miles traveled to first stop and miles back to center from last stop. Anyone know if I am right or wrong?

You are neither right or wrong.
UPS gets to figure out how measurement is figured.
It is what it is.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking, who cares, and what's on TV tonight?

satellitedriver

Curious if there is a for sure method for figuring a routes to/from miles.
Simply set your trip odometer to zero when you leave the center and look at the number when you return to the center.
That is the to/ from miles on a rural route.
Forget the fact you have to deliver 3 other drivers NDA, to make commitment, on your way to your first stop.
Ideally, you are correct that the first delivery, on your route, determines the "to" mileage, and your last delivery becomes the "from" mileage.
That works well in an ideal world, but that world does not exist, in the this galaxy.

I have always held to this contention;

UPS time studies are based on averages.
An average can not be applied to a specific one day/week/month number and used as a disciplinary action.
For a driver to be called to task for being over allowed, on any given day, is applying a specific to an average.

I will get off my soapbox, for now.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You're not going to win an arbitrary numbers game with these clowns. Work with dispatch if you can about the best way to run your route and if that doesn't work, let UPS dig it's own grave. You don't need to bring a shovel to help them. Just set your mind right and make that money. Apparently they're throwing it at you with a lame dispatch.

browniehound

You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking, who cares, and what's on TV tonight?

This is what I was thinking? Who cares? Does it really bother you that much? For 14 years I've been going in, taking the truck, emptying it, filling it back up and driving back. Then I punch out and go home. I've never heard anything about numbers nor would I care if I did. If you don't like the job I do then fire me and find somebody else that can do it better. That's my attitude at least.

Indecisi0n

center manager one time asked me when I got back the building "How many stops did you do today (I had just punched out)?" I responded "I don't know." He said what do you mean you don't know? I told him I come to work, work and leave. He paused staring at me, then just turned around and walked away. I am the same with miles, I just don't care.

S

serenity now

This is what I was thinking? Who cares? Does it really bother you that much? For 14 years I've been going in, taking the truck, emptying it, filling it back up and driving back. Then I punch out and go home. I've never heard anything about numbers nor would I care if I did. If you don't like the job I do then fire me and find somebody else that can do it better. That's my attitude at least.

kill the dragon * sleep * repeat, ad infinitum (almost)

CaliforniaPaul

Do you deliver in mutiple loops? That could affect your to/from miles allowance. Unless your in a bonus center, like others have said, "who cares".

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
The only number you should worry about is your paycheck. That and Megabucks and Powerball.

You forgot one. Let me help. Paycheck, Power ball, Megabucks, and hooker prices.

HOOKERS.jpgthailand_01.jpg
HOOKERS.jpg
thailand_01.jpg

barnyard

KTM rider
Why do you care???

I have never understood why anyone gets worked up about UPS numbers. They are their numbers and there is nothing you can do to change them.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think

I'm with you, but I don't care what my numbers are. I do wonder whats my Supervisor motive in setting my to and from miles at 34 miles every day, when it should be 26.
What game he is playing with the numbers? Thats why you can never trust a supervisor, who can tell you with a straight face that he has no control over the over/under. Yeah right.

QKRSTKR

It does get measured to your furthest delivery or pick up point from the center. Why? UPS weight and measures. Stupid. I got into it with Orion guy. He said where all measured high high. What the hell doses that mean ?

yes this is a bonus center, but I am not a bonus driver. Lots of cover drivers run this route and absolutely tear it up by destroying the methods, yet when Im on it the management team can't understand why I don't hit those same numbers, which in all honestly I could care less about. I come in, deliver and go home. Problem is because I don't destroy the methods like they want me too, I'm over 9.5. I file and nothing happens. They don't seem to even care. Is what it is. I've been around long enough to know. Fact is they have changed the to/from to push the other drivers to hit their bonus, but they are to dumb to understand they are shooting theirselves in the foot. I make bonus the old fashion way, I work it.