To go driving or not to go driving...that is the question

nc_upser

Alright, so I'm pretty new (not even a year under my belt) and I'm preload, but I have been offered a chance to go to driving school (RTD). I am 25 and I am a full time manager of a production company making $14 an hr. I have gotten $1-2 raises every year with this company and they have afforded me this opportunity even with a marred record (assault/possession/etc).

Do I give that up for driving school? I ultimately want to be a driver, but with the feast or famine I hear of with cover drivers I just don't know what to do to maximize my income over both short and long term.

All input is appreciated! Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

9.5er

Is this position a temp driver or full time?
If it is temp. keep the guaranteed hours at your full time job.
If its full time, well only you can make that decision.

Box Ox

If you like your current job (and air conditioning) and there's ample opportunity for raises/promotions, stick with it. Enjoy that and your upcoming PT UPS benefits. The back of a package car is something else during those ultra hot/humid NC summer days.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
$14 vs $37 by the end of the current contract is a no brainer for me. I left a white collar job that I loved because after 3 promotions I was still only making half of what we make driving and the benefits were horrible. I don't love driving but I don't hate it either.

If you're being offered a casual driving job, called TCD here (temporary cover driver) then pass on it for now and keep your full time job. Sign the inside driver list as soon as you can. If this is a full time cover job that does not end after christmas then jump on it. Talk to HR and tell them you can't give up your full time job but you're interested in a permanent driving job if they get to a hiring off the street point.

nc_upser

Great answers, thanks so much! It is a TCD position, listed June 1-Jan2 and with my lack of seniority I'll be one of the last to go. I will keep my eye out for a full time list, our hub opened in '76 so about 70+% of our ft drivers will likely be out soon and I'll have my chance to get in.

Thanks again for the help! Love this site/app

Sent using BrownCafe App