Today I am Retired from UPS for one year. 2nd best year of my life!

Not just me....NOBODY is guaranteed to make it to 65....whether from a car accident, a disease, a heart attack....it can come out of left field like a drunk driver and wipe you out. I don't know why people have a hard time with this concept. You will not live long enough (probably) and you'll miss out on a steady paycheck from 62-65. The break even time is years & years!!
And if you live to age 90? That's thousand dollars wouldn't be nothing compared to $1800 a month.

Their is no Magic answer.

moreluck

golden ticket member
And if you live to age 90? That's thousand dollars wouldn't be nothing compared to $1800 a month.

Their is no Magic answer.
For example...you can have 1500 a month at 62 or 3000 a month at 65........You get wiped out by a drunk driver when you are 64...... You get nothin' if you were waiting.

Always take the money when you can.......you could lose out of getting anything and you paid into it. That's the magic answer. Besides when you make it to 80.......won't your expenses be less too (medical not included)

For example...you can have 1500 a month at 62 or 3000 a month at 65........You get wiped out by a drunk driver when you are 64...... You get nothin' if you were waiting.

Always take the money when you can.......you could lose out of getting anything and you paid into it. That's the magic answer. Besides when you make it to 80.......won't your expenses be less too (medical not included)
I love you Moreluck bit you sound like my mother .

She has been ready to die tomorrow, for the last decade.

We will all die eventually, hopefully not tomorrow.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I love you Moreluck bit you sound like my mother .

She has been ready to die tomorrow, for the last decade.

We will all die eventually, hopefully not tomorrow.
Your mother sounds like a smart, prepared woman. There's a reason the Boy Scouts chose "Be Prepared" as their motto.
If "willy-nilly" suits you, then go for it.

Pismo Bill

we paid off the house 18 months before i retired so that we could save that money. already had savings of 12 plus months to live on without any income. maxed out the 401k every year so that is huge. haven't had to touch it. the pension is enough and in a couple years we can start on the social security.

one thing you should do is get any major medical and dental out of the way before you go out. here in the west we have to pay 150 month for healthcare coverage and they only pay 70 % so your medical/dental will go up.

also make major purchases before you go out. we put in a new floor, new appliances, bought a late model car and repaired the older one, saved up for a new roof , and made some other major repairs. it's easier to do that while working making 80-100k rather than the 35-50 you'll get with your pension.

also , write out your monthly budget now while you are working. write down EVERY expense you can think of plus some amount for the unexpected. then add 10-20% on top of that just in case. some expenses go down when you retire like gas and car repairs and work related expenses. the only thing that has gone up for us is we are eating out more. and we travel more too.

this will give you an idea on what you need for monthly retirement expenses. the way we figured it we would have almost a thousand dollar surplus every month and after a year we had slightly more than that so we went crazy buying Christmas early for the grandkids and gifted the grown kids too. that was nice.

granted, we have had no emergencies pop up but we do have a separate savings account for that.

good luck.
i am in the west (so cal) we pay 300 premium if married and have 80/20 coverage 1000 out of pocket

Your mother sounds like a smart, prepared woman. There's a reason the Boy Scouts chose "Be Prepared" as their motto.
If "willy-nilly" suits you, then go for it.
No. She spends money like tomorrow is her last day on earth. I can't understand it. Her my, my grandmother was a saver who went through the great depression.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I don't feel the need for a tax attorney as my tax situation is fairly basic.

I have been with EW for the past several years. We have had preliminary discussions regarding SS but will have more when the time comes, which will include going after a portion of my ex's benefits.
Ours is complicated enough that a good tax attorney helps steer us in the right direction for our goals. It helps that our adviser works at the same firm. We've known both forever and trust them completely. That makes a big difference.

Do you use the same person at EW?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I don't feel the need for a tax attorney as my tax situation is fairly basic.

I have been with EW for the past several years. We have had preliminary discussions regarding SS but will have more when the time comes, which will include going after a portion of my ex's benefits.
Instead of going after your ex's benefits , why not have her forfeit her part of your pension in place of?

clean hairy

We did it by choice at 62.......I want what I can get NOW.........like I said there was no guarantee I would make it to 65.
My Wife had a long time friend who retired at 62 and decided to wait till 66 for SS.
She came down with Cancer and died at 64, never having collected a penny of SS.