Today I learned

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me understand this. You assert that this is dishonesty, and clearly this tactic by management is practiced wantonly across the company, but you also team up with them when it comes to sales leads so that they can try to screw over even more customers?

One has nothing to do with the other. Sheeting missed as anything other than missed is dishonest and I for one do not condone it; however, they don't care what you or I think on this issue. If I have a customer who tracks his/her package and it shows an exception scan I will tell them exactly what happened and give them the contact information so that they can address the issue.

How do sales leads screw over customers?

Do you care about the customer or not, because it really sounds like you're talking out both sides of your mouth here?

I made second attempts on 3 delivery stops and 2 pickup stops yesterday. I'll let you decide whether that means I care about my customers or not.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Technically speaking, they are only being dishonest to corporate. The customer knows he didn't future the package.

By hiding the fact that the package was a service failure they are defrauding the customer out of refunds that they would otherwise be entitled to. Yes, the customer can dispute it and deny that they requested that the package be futured....but to do that they have to pick up the phone and call the 1-800 number and get put on hold and waste time arguing with someone about it.

laffter

How is this not being dishonest to the customer?

As was said above, the only time I will say anything to the affected customer is if they ask---other than that, it is none of my concern.

By hiding the fact that the package was a service failure they are defrauding the customer out of refunds that they would otherwise be entitled to. Yes, the customer can dispute it and deny that they requested that the package be futured....but to do that they have to pick up the phone and call the 1-800 number and get put on hold and waste time arguing with someone about it.

You're right. That didn't occur to me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Part of "growing the business" is keeping the business.

A customer who spends half an hour on the phone fighting to get a refund that he is entitled to and has been defrauded out of...is a customer that will probably choose FedEx the next time around.

We have an ethical obligation to our customers to protect them from being defrauded, even when our own management people are the ones who are committing the act of fraud.

I personally would call the ethics hotline if I became aware of such things occuring in my center. It probably wouldnt do any good, but at least my conscience would be clear. I would also confront the management people involved and let them know that I, and others, are aware of what they are doing.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
You can always write an anonymous letter to the people on the higher up. You may think they look out for each other, which they do, but in these type of activites are just as bad for us as it is for them. Dishonesty is what it is, anyone can be fired for it even their own. The letter might work and it might not. Its just that someone is reporting such deeds to the people who are affected by this.

If there is a problem, and things are being fudged, then it needs to be stopped. Thusly a solution to stop missed, miss sorts, miss loads and all of the above needs to be addressed to rightfully increase production. On their end of course.

I've seen full timers fired for such things. They just need to be caught.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My center management team hides missed packages by not sheeting them missed, but the OMS sheets future delivery for the next day without contacting the customer. Is dishonesty really better than a service failure??[/QUOTE

Service failure is such an ugly phrase. Management preferred term is, "delayed service potential".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My center management team hides missed packages by not sheeting them missed, but the OMS sheets future delivery for the next day without contacting the customer. Is dishonesty really better than a service failure??[/QUOTE

Service failure is such an ugly phrase. Management preferred term is, "delayed service potential".

I think the actual preferred term is DSP.

... and I thought it was "Deferred Service Plan".

Integrity

Binge Poster
My center management team hides missed packages by not sheeting them missed, but the OMS sheets future delivery for the next day without contacting the customer. Is dishonesty really better than a service failure??
j4ck4zz,

If you believe this is unethical(dishonest), then you have an ethical obligation as an employee to report this incident and any incident like this.

Sincerely,
I

tfinnegan

happy exupser
Yes, remember if you do it as a driver and get caught it could lead to suspension or termination. If mgmt. does it that's ok! Unless they are auditing your center that night!