Too easy for UPS drivers to steal!

UPSGUY72

Should we really have to make you guys push the "stop complete" button every time you deliver a package? I never said you were all thieves. I simply stated that it is Overwhelmingly simple to apply additional parcels to a signature which is actually completely illegal and unethical to even allow the drivers to use. I should not have to trust each individual driver, i should simply have to trust their system, and I do not. And I am surprised you do, being a UPS driver.

What are you talking about ??? Get a life, stop drinking, get off the drugs, and your delusional thoughts might go away.

emulc

What are you talking about ??? Get a life, stop drinking, get off the drugs, and your delusional thoughts might go away.
I will stop drinking when I feel like it. What are you an AA administrator. And I've never had "too big" of a drug issue. What's YOUR problem. You seem a little tense, or angry. Ahhh... Withdrawals? I never got that far...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Can a UPS driver please answer this question for me?? I found a video online that says UPS drivers can change the package count number and add more packages to your signature even after you sign. If this is true, then there is no way to dispute it because they have your signature saying that you signed for and received it! IS THIS LEGAL!?! -----NO! It is not! The ESIGN act of June 2000 says that electronic signatures should be accurate and accessible, however they offer me no receipt at the time of delivery to prove I only signed for so many. They just tell you to use tracking, but by the time the tracking is updated, they could have already changed it and then it's too late.. THIS ALREADY HAS HAPPENED 3 TIMES AT MY WORK!!!!

Yes, it is possible for the driver to add packages to your signature after you have signed. However, his management team will know if he/she has done this.

If the intent of the driver is to steal your package, he would be an idiot to do it in this manner.(He would be an idiot for doing it in any manner, but that is a whole different point.) A driver whose customers are filing high$$ claims for packages they they have signed for is going to have his delivery records audited and he is going to get caught.

I dont know anything about the ESIGN law you speak of. I am reasonably certain, however, that a global company such as UPS that handles the number of parcels we do on a daily basis has already researched the laws that pertain to its legal requirements. We have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into DIADS and the associated technology, and I highly doubt that we would have done this without making sure we were in compliance with all applicable laws.

I have been using a DIAD for over 20 years now. There have been numerous occasions when customers have signed for packages that they later claimed to have not received. In every case, the package was subsequently located...and on more than one of these occasions it was an employee of the company in question that had either stolen or misplaced the package after signing for it.

2 other relevant facts; most of the electronic signatures we receive are in reality so illegible that a driver who was so inclined could easily forge a customers signature without going to the trouble of adding packages after the fact. And the ability of the driver to "add" packages after the fact did not begin with the advent of the DIAD; it was just as possible to do in the era of paper delivery records. And we did not provide receipts back then, either.

I hope you find your missing packages. I hope it wasnt your driver who stole them. Common sense tells me that if your driver was the one who stole them, he would have found a different way to do it.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That vidoe you posted was very misleading. I will bet that the device that Fedex and any other carrier uses will do the same thing. That feature is there only so that the driver can deliver different addresses to the same place. This is intended for situations like a driver leaving five apartment deliveries at the apartment manager's office or delivering a signature required stop to a neighbor's house when the original consignee is not home. Insinuating that UPS drivers are dishonest is insulting. The very few cases when one does steal is dealt with severely by the company as it should be. Do you go on Fedex and USPS boards and ask this question???

upsgrunt

Why would any of us risk the money we make a year, and the insurance and pension that goes with it, on and act that WILL get caught and prosecuted. Seriously, the driver would have to know what was in each package AND the package would have to be worth at least a million to come out ahead. The vast majority of us are honest and do the right thing; ALL the time.

outta hours

Sounds like the original troll poster is using reverse psychology, trying to figure out a way he/she can steal packages that are delivered. Before they get from the mail room/receiving dock to the actual employee.

I have been at UPS 26 years. Never seen a full time driver terminated for theft. I have seen hundreds of mail room/ dock workers fired for stealing. The numbers don't lie. Troll on emulc.

Should we really have to make you guys push the "stop complete" button every time you deliver a package? I never said you were all thieves. I simply stated that it is Overwhelmingly simple to apply additional parcels to a signature which is actually completely illegal and unethical to even allow the drivers to use. I should not have to trust each individual driver, i should simply have to trust their system, and I do not. And I am surprised you do, being a UPS driver.

Go use Fed Ex......I could use a few less clowns on my route

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like the original troll poster is using reverse psychology, trying to figure out a way he/she can steal packages that are delivered. Before they get from the mail room/receiving dock to the actual employee.

I have been at UPS 26 years. Never seen a full time driver terminated for theft. I have seen hundreds of mail room/ dock workers fired for stealing. The numbers don't lie. Troll on emulc.

Thats what I'm thinking too. The DIAD still holds the tracking number no matter what the driver does. The Apple packages, for instance, do not have Apple wrote on them. A driver would have to have X-ray vision to know what is in most of boxes we deliver.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The reality of theft as a UPS driver is quite simple.

We as drivers are in a position to steal thousands of dollars worth of merchandise on a daily basis if we chose to do so.

99.99% of us choose not to, because (a) like most people we are honest and ethical and (b)the risks of losing a career job with medical benefits and pension....along with the consequences of a felony record for theft of an interstate shipment....far outweigh the benefits of ripping off a computer or a DVD player or some jewelry.

I am reasonably certain that the average driver could "get away with" stealing something once...or maybe even twice. But the type of person who would risk a career job and a felony rap over the contents of a parcel isnt going to stop at "once or twice". That kind of person has a problem...be it drugs or gambling or mental issues...that will compel him or her to continue the behavior. And they will get caught.

To the OP; if you keep having parcels come up missing, then keep filing claims and dont take "no" for an answer. Contact the local UPS Loss Prevention department and get them involved. Get the police involved. But dont jump to the easy conclusion that the driver is to blame until you have all of the facts.

packageguy

Maybe we should bring our "trucks" to your building. They don't wash ours. Not that I care if they do, but a clean windshield, side windows, and mirrors can be helpful with their quest for "safety".

Take the time to keep yourself safe, get a windex and paper towel and clean the windows, if the company says something tell them can'tsee out of the windows.

UPSGUY72

Bingo

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Take the time to keep yourself safe, get a windex and paper towel and clean the windows, if the company says something tell them can'tsee out of the windows.
And do it on the clock too. The contract says something to the effect that our windshields and mirrirs will be kept clean, they cut our Car Wash hours so much they don't do it.

barnyard

KTM rider
What the OP illustrated can certainly be done. I do it at a stop where the signer looks at the number to see what her day will be like. I routinely add more, she freaks, I laugh. Does not matter, when I hit, "stop complete" the number goes back to the number of packages I have scanned. I know because I have gone back in 'edit' to check.

The OP is a troll trying to figure out how to steal packages that have already been signed for.