Set of wrenches
4' metal ruler
Utility knife
4 piece chisel set
3' level
Set of wood boring metal bits
4' step ladder
Staple gun

Surprisingly, I don't have the one tool every household needs-----duct tape.

Saw talk: I have a reliable Makita sliding compound miter saw that has earned it's keep doing it's job on the last two houses.
I have a Hitachi C10FL table saw. Chosen for it's design and heavy duty cast iron table. I built into it a Porter Cable heavy duty router on a micro-adjust lift.
An oldy but a goody is the Makita 3" cordless trim saw that has cut every electrical outlet opening in drywall I've ever done.

All you really need for this job is a pencil, ruler/straight edge, and a shop knife. After you have done a few the pencil and ruler/straight edge become optional.

Doing it old school to learn the job is one thing. Using a knife to knock out one hole is ok. When you're doing a whole house having that 3" saw means you can do it quickly.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Don't laugh.

I put a small set together for my wife about four years ago with more and better tools than that because she got tired of digging through my tools to do a simple fix.

Sometimes, just for little stuff, I grab it.

Don't laugh.
it was for your wife?I put a small set together for my wife about four years ago with more and better tools than that because she got tired of digging through my tools to do a simple fix.

I wont laugh...maybe a small.....snicker..............sure It was for your wife??...lmao

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would post a picture of my tool collection but I know you guys would laugh at me.

My first tool set was not much to see. It's never to late to start collecting tools.

And yes I'll use all those vise grips. Every tool has a purpose. I could use about 50 pair to hold sheet metal in place while I'm replacing it on my mustang.

Brownslave688

My kid's got one, and one of these days it might not get returned.

Best cheap tool is the Harbor Freight multi-tool. I've used mine for so many different jobs, it's ridiculous. And cheap enough to replace when it dies.

I love harbor freight for cheap specialty tools. Everyday tools no way would I buy there.

Except for the large tool boxes. I have a 44" one and for the money you can not do better.

Don't laugh.

I put a small set together for my wife about four years ago with more and better tools than that because she got tired of digging through my tools to do a simple fix.

Man tip: Let your wife have some of your tools. Then it justifies going out and buying newer,better, ones.

Brownslave688

Man tip: Let your wife have some of your tools. Then it justifies going out and buying newer,better, ones.
Lol my brother in law has a bunch of tools in my toolbox. He asked the other day if he needed to take some I them.

I said no my box is full that's how I'm convincing your sister I need the harbor freight 5 drawer tool cart.