Top pay as a driver

Re-Raise

Let's be fair. Many PTers who finally get the chance to drive give up half way thru their 30, and RUN back to their pt gig.

It's a hard job, definitely not for everyone.

We have had that happen also.

I just understand how the guys and ladies who have worked together for YEARS might not rush to the door to greet the new off the street hire with open arms when he jumps in front of their friend who has also been waiting YEARS for his opportunity.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm in a hardcore union center and have NEVER seen a "street meat" get looked down upon at anytime. Every driver knows the 6-1 ratio and accepts a driver who kicks butt while covering holidays and the summer, and if he gets hired then he's deserving !

Re-Raise

I'm in a hardcore union center and have NEVER seen a "street meat" get looked down upon at anytime. Every driver knows the 6-1 ratio and accepts a driver who kicks butt while covering holidays and the summer, and if he gets hired then he's deserving !

We don't have off the street guys covering routes, our highest part-timers do it.

Our next off the street hire will be someone with friends in management somewhere. The job opening will never be advertised and no one will be interviewed for it.

We have part-timers at my center who have been wating 12 years.

I won't treat the new hire differently but they haven't proven anything to me yet.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We have a couple off-the-street hires and they are great guys. I am proud to be friends with them. They, also, knew it was a tough situation walking into, because our center manager had used the card to piss off the guys that were waiting. center manager liked stirring the pot. No one treats them any differently because they aren't different. They are a couple of hard-ass workers. But,......

Its a hard pill to swallow if you are the one bumped.

Re-Raise

I came in off the street and dominated. No brag, just fact. Fellow drivers call me Mr. Brownmonster.:wink2:

How old were you and did you know someone at UPS who was able to get you hired?

I have heard the legend of the Brownmonster are you really the one of which they speak?:happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Re-raise, yes, its really him. Every time he logs on BC, the earth shudders.

Man, Our center must really be different. We have not had street meat here since the early 80's. Maybe even late 70's. The last one has enough years in already to retire already.

Our 6-1 has always been a part time sup that wants to do delivery. A very few have used it to go full time management, but very few, as they have seen full time management for what it is, and dont want a thing to do with it.

But as I said, street meat is not a factor at our center, as it must be in others. Also, feeders here are filled with drivers wanting to go feeders, not from the outside. Most of our feeders have at least 8-10 years in package first. But not far from here, they hire street meat for feeders..... so things are different where ever you might be.

One last thing on the original question. Be very careful about progression pay. At our center, UPS cheated many of the new drivers out of their progression pay, and the employees had to file to get it. Several got well into 5 figures back pay. So keep an eye on that, and know what is due you.

After all, UPS would love to keep you at $22 forever.

d

What'dyabringmetoday???

I started driving March 2009 as an off the street driver. What will my top pay as a driver be. I am currently at 20.75. Looked in the contract but didn't see the amount. I ask because someone said it's along the lines of $22.
Worry more about the number in the blue and white envelope. It keeps getting better as time goes by.