Tractor Trailer Driver

trickpony1

In my local all you have to do is pull a dolly alone to get sets pay.

Have you considered the consequences of pulling a dolly behind a "tractor only"?

The dolly doesn't have any brakes. If you have to stop quick or take evasive action that free wheeling dolly could push you into a nasty jackknife.

Not that it matters but I think the DOT (remember them?) says all your axles will have operating brakes.

Ponder that.

Kick it back.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Have you considered the consequences of pulling a dolly behind a "tractor only"?

The dolly doesn't have any brakes. If you have to stop quick or take evasive action that free wheeling dolly could push you into a nasty jackknife.

Not that it matters but I think the DOT (remember them?) says all your axles will have operating brakes.

Ponder that.

Kick it back.
Uh, ya we do this all the time here.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Uh, ya...that doesn't make it any less dangerous or illegal.

I know the laws don't apply to our drivers but think of the safety of the motoring public.

Think outside yourself for once...just once.
Question 2: Are unladen converter dollies covered by the exemption in §393.42(b)(3)?

Guidance: Yes. However, if the converter dolly is laden, the brakes must be operable.

Indecisi0n

Ponder that.

Kick it back.
I agree but they do it all the time here.
10-4

trickpony1

Post 26-
This is all well and good but anyone that was paying attention in class should have learned that "...a skidding wheel wants to lead...".

So...When you TO and have this heavy object behind you and you have to stop quick, guess what:
-The tractor brakes lock...starting the skid and;
-the free wheeling dolly pushes your tractor, that has already started to come around, even further around hence, a jackknife.

But what could I know.

Do what you want, hammer down and make the company a top hand.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I was told that there is a weight threshold for dollies being pulled without brakes. I seem to remember 2900 lbs being the cut off, unladen of course. All of ours are under that, or so I’ve been told.

rod

Retired 22 years
Those dollies can't weigh that much that they would affect a tractors braking. Our feeder drivers hand pushed them around the parking lot in a foot of snow without complaining. Then again we are tough here in Mn.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I was told that there is a weight threshold for dollies being pulled without brakes. I seem to remember 2900 lbs being the cut off, unladen of course. All of ours are under that, or so I’ve been told.

That would make sense. I believe my state has roughly the same limit on boat trailers. Over 3,000 pounds and you need trailer brakes.

Wih new tractors I can't even tell a dolly is back there. I would only be concerned if it were raining...I don't bobtail long distances in the rain if I can help it.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
That would make sense. I believe my state has roughly the same limit on boat trailers. Over 3,000 pounds and you need trailer brakes.

Wih new tractors I can't even tell a dolly is back there. I would only be concerned if it were raining...I don't bobtail long distances in the rain if I can help it.
You’re right 3000lbs is the threshold and our dollies are 2900lbs.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We were always trained when operating a tractor only, your maximum speed is 62MPH. Yeah, a lot of morons run hammer down with the TO, but I stick with the training. All you have to do is run TO in the rain to see how loose the back wheels can get.

But we have a rail yard to pick up from, and a lot of the time, you have to bring the dolly with to build a set. That’s unavoidable.

Last edited:

Dracula

Must be different local riders. We have one of the best around. With us, the same rules apply with our triples drivers. If they pull two trailers and a dolly, or a long box and a dolly, they get their triples pay for the day.

That’s just how it is here.

Dracula

I’d never run a full road job with a tractor only. I’ll always grab at least an empty pup.