Trailer repair shops closing

UPSmechanicinblue

I am hearing the Toledo trailer shop, another in Florida and California are closing. Just shutting down laying off workers. I think the Toledo ones are Teamster mechanics and around 40 of them total. Does anyone have any info on this? I wonder where the extra work will be adsorbed or is UPS going to try and outsource? I'm hearing they will lease more trailers to get around repairing them.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I am hearing the Toledo trailer shop, another in Florida and California are closing. Just shutting down laying off workers. I think the Toledo ones are Teamster mechanics and around 40 of them total. Does anyone have any info on this? I wonder where the extra work will be adsorbed or is UPS going to try and outsource? I'm hearing they will lease more trailers to get around repairing them.
Sounds safe!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Closed ours in Jersey. Now they drag broken trailers to Maryland and back to get fixed.

Up In Smoke

I was lead to believe that UPS was looking to lease more and more tractors and trailers as a possible cost savings move a few years ago. Working near the US65/40 corridor, we certainly see more of these combos than 5-6 years ago. We currently have a 6 employee 24/7 mechanics shop at our building as we run 140 package cars and 17 feeder runs from that location. Better not bigger.

DOK

Been here since the 80’s didn’t even know they existed, learn something new everyday.

M5B

I can unfortunately confirm. District manager was notified Monday evening. Tuesday he passed on the news as of April 1st the shop will close, not lay offs. 30 plus employees, unless a spots opens to transfer even the supervisors are getting cut.

We heard of the shop in Florida. I believe a shop up in Michigan was recently closed or closing as well. Disheartening really.

M5B

Was this another trailer shop in California or hub?

UPSmechanicinblue

Historic contract.
UPS is going better not bigger route- even before contract time BD IE Sales Safety HR to name a few got outsourced, Look up the investment in India to cut more sups like OMS etc, Dispatch gong India and AI. UPS dumped UPS Freight now selling coyote, We are headed into a recession and a bad one at that, no more free stimulus money, people have to pay mortgage, rent, low rates where people use home for a credit card due to increase value, and now student loans have to be repaid. Unless we change those things back the economy is going down pre covid. People have to pay all this with bigger house , car, insurance, energy etc payments. UPS will cut and cut like they did after 2008 they combined small centers and will probably close the ones that where opened up after the 08 recession when things where booming again. Anything opened after covid started no longer needed. Even FedEx is combining the air delivery to the ground during this downturn. I am happy of the contract and am thankful we didn't have to start negotiating it now or later through the downturn. This company could have all the tax breaks, grants ,record profits in the world and UPS will not increase unless volume increase to the point they need to hire more to move the boxes.They don't care about anyone. Look at the FedEx contract Id take ours before what they got

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

UPS is going better not bigger route- even before contract time BD IE Sales Safety HR to name a few got outsourced, Look up the investment in India to cut more sups like OMS etc, Dispatch gong India and AI. UPS dumped UPS Freight now selling coyote, We are headed into a recession and a bad one at that, no more free stimulus money, people have to pay mortgage, rent, low rates where people use home for a credit card due to increase value, and now student loans have to be repaid. Unless we change those things back the economy is going down pre covid. People have to pay all this with bigger house , car, insurance, energy etc payments. UPS will cut and cut like they did after 2008 they combined small centers and will probably close the ones that where opened up after the 08 recession when things where booming again. Anything opened after covid started no longer needed. Even FedEx is combining the air delivery to the ground during this downturn. I am happy of the contract and am thankful we didn't have to start negotiating it now or later through the downturn. This company could have all the tax breaks, grants ,record profits in the world and UPS will not increase unless volume increase to the point they need to hire more to move the boxes.They don't care about anyone. Look at the FedEx contract Id take ours before what they got
Which FedEx contract?

UPSmechanicinblue

that's just what I am hearing anyway, I know like the OMS don't do fuel and oil is now all automated, they cant do intercept on packages and other things, customers need to call the 1-800 number they are slowly removing all their work. Sad part is local business and customers have the center number to take care of issues, now to take care of stuff now they call our 1 800 number over seas and talk to a person who will act like its their first day on the job.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
they dont have one- they have no choice in anything
thatsthejoke.jpg