Trailer repair shops closing

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Cause!!! ----Our first CEO who didn't work at UPS prior- seems the best ones started part time and worked their way up. Make the biggest dollars short term decisions. Also anyone that was here before the stock went public can see UPS in decline
Steady decline, I started in 1990. Pathetic, like most things these days. Service is an afterthought, all about the Benjamin’s.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I was reading about this on a mechanics group I am in..... not good, and it's easy for management to hide the trailers and outsource the work.

The Milkman

Cause!!! ----Our first CEO who didn't work at UPS prior- seems the best ones started part time and worked their way up. Make the biggest dollars short term decisions. Also anyone that was here before the stock went public can see UPS in decline
Hired for peak in 81, then called back in 82, full time package driver off the street. Oh, how things changed once going public. Owned by its managers, Managed by its owners. Service slowly went down to answer to the shareholders. OZ Nelson worked his way up the ladder, now hiring from outside UPS to manage Big Brown was not a good move. Retired 16 years ago and the decline in service has only gotten worse. Ups sells no products just service, so when that fails you see the results in due time. The old timers grew this company especially when NDA started. Now SS Brown is taking on water and those of you that have been around for a while, are making sure the bilge pumps are working round the clock. Glad I was around when we were a greatly respected company. Seeing all the issues on Brown Cafe makes me worry about new hires down the road. Making a decent living at UPS includes many sacrifices that the outside world never sees. Many of you can relate to that, and it continues to this day. Tougher to make a career now than it ever was. Wonder what the Casey family is thinking? Peace

Madcat47

I am hearing the Toledo trailer shop, another in Florida and California are closing. Just shutting down laying off workers. I think the Toledo ones are Teamster mechanics and around 40 of them total. Does anyone have any info on this? I wonder where the extra work will be adsorbed or is UPS going to try and outsource? I'm hearing they will lease more trailers to get around repairing them.
You have heard correctly. I am one of the mechanics in the UPS Toledo trailer shop. We were informed on Tuesday Feb 13, 2024 that our shop is being closed as of April 1st, 2024.

Madcat47

As for the trailers, alot of the ones that we at the shop have deamed ADA have been sold to metro and ctl, and are being leased back to UPS with very few if any needed repairs made. This is one of the ways they are working around this closing. So watch your pretrips closely.

Attachments

• 20221110_175600.jpg
    20221110_175600.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 13
As for the trailers, alot of the ones that we at the shop have deamed ADA have been sold to metro and ctl, and are being leased back to UPS with very few if any needed repairs made. This is one of the ways they are working around this closing. So watch your pretrips closely.
They've been doing sneaky stuff for decades
They don't own a lot of the buildings some other shell corporation owns them

iamupser

Grease Monkey
You have heard correctly. I am one of the mechanics in the UPS Toledo trailer shop. We were informed on Tuesday Feb 13, 2024 that our shop is being closed as of April 1st, 2024.
So sorry this is happening. Are the Teamsters doing anything or filing a complaint with the NLRB for this blatant union busting? Is there any opportunity to transfer anywhere else? If this is allowed to happen uncontested, ALL mechanics will be out of a job soon.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So sorry this is happening. Are the Teamsters doing anything or filing a complaint with the NLRB for this blatant union busting? Is there any opportunity to transfer anywhere else? If this is allowed to happen uncontested, ALL mechanics will be out of a job soon.
Call the NLRB!!!!!!!!! Lol!