Training

I'm hopefully a new hire, I officially get word tomorrow. I was wondering if training takes place during the shift you're hired for, or if its at a different time. Its at the Orlando, FL hub.

Rob

I'm in!

I just got the call today, I start training Monday, and in response to the previous posters question, training is going to be during the shift I was hired for. Great!

wily_old_vet

DigitalCatalyst said:
I just got the call today, I start training Monday, and in response to the previous posters question, training is going to be during the shift I was hired for. Great!

Oh did you want us to make up an answer for you. Obviously nobody knew.

No, I wouldn't have wanted that, and since nobody knew, I'm glad they didn't post an answer. It was actually pretty stupid of me to ask, knowing I could ask the HR rep the following day when I knew she would call, but I'm a product of a society given to instant gratification. Thanks for the reply.

Well thats uncertain at this point. During the post-interview tour, the sup told me that if he didn't get me in for the peak, he'd try to get me in January when he would be hiring again. During the HR interview she told me I'd have to wait 3 years to have benefits that could really help out with my kid or something to that effect, I was talking to her about daycare. She asked if I wanted to work just for the holidays or if I wanted to stay longer. It FELT like a longer term hire than just peak, but who knows. I'll find out soon enough!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got hired part-time for peak back in 1975. I was kept because I worked hard, it was a good job back then. Minimum wage was $2.10 and UPS started at $4.25 and my first contract raise was about $1.00 if I remember correctly. My point is, work as hard as you can if you want the job, the best will probably be called back after peak. The money is low at first, but today as a Package Driver, I am looking to make about $70,000 this year. Good luck.

Well it isn't permanent for me regardless of how long they keep me, as this is definitely not a career move for me. I have my own business, I have a career, I just don't have enough money or the availability right now that I need. I have a nine month old I watch during the day, and I don't want to put her in day care yet, so a third shift job was my only option. I will work hard, and I'll keep the job as long as I have to. In 2006 though, I'm hoping to make my business profitable, and hopefully I'll be able to support my family on that alone. I like the tuition reimbursement program here though, I may pursue my bachelors while I'm with Brown.

CFLBrown

DigitalCatalyst said:
Well thats uncertain at this point. During the post-interview tour, the sup told me that if he didn't get me in for the peak, he'd try to get me in January when he would be hiring again. During the HR interview she told me I'd have to wait 3 years to have benefits that could really help out with my kid or something to that effect, I was talking to her about daycare. She asked if I wanted to work just for the holidays or if I wanted to stay longer. It FELT like a longer term hire than just peak, but who knows. I'll find out soon enough!
Benifits take 30 work days to kick in. Aprox a month and a half. We can barely keep new hires (on the preload) in our center that long.

upsermom

My son was a new hire at the start of the year. He was hired after being a driver's helper at christmas. Today at the morning meeting the center manager beg for workers. He said bring your whole family. He is paying $100 for every person you bring in for the month provided they stay all month. Half the people working preload on his belt are also driving. They just can't hire enough help. My son got his benefit package about March 1, 2005 and he was working an average five hours nightly. We are also in Florida

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Begging for help

I dont see it that way here, maybe I just dont know anything. My son works in TX, and they told him to drag in recruits. I have no doubt again this yr, they will want to keep him, as he has a great work ethic. If he does, I would have to have him committed.

Well, there were nine people in my class, and they said we were the last class for the season, and that they wouldn't be hiring again till April. They told us they hired a crapload of people, were now overstaffed, and expected that to help relieve a lot of problems they'd had in the past. Most of us were assigned to be loaders, with 2 unloaders in the class. Five days of classroom, then a week of hands-on. Our trainer has stressed that if we're here for a paycheck, we're in the wrong place lol...at 8.50 / hr, I'm inclined to agree. But I have a family to support, and tuition to pay, the benefits are a great sell. If you stay long enough to engage them.

PAS? What is PAS? Is that auto sort, eye in the sky type deal? My trainer told me they were installed in new buidlings only. I guess we get to keep our sorters in Orlando. He explained that with that technology we wouldn't need to check packages before loading. I'm a loader now, so far in a very easy PD.