transfer, please help!

Overpaid Union Thug

they are required to allow transfer for pt per the contract, but there isnt any recourse for an employee that has their t'fer denied on either end.

Enrollment normally requires some sort of proof of finicial aid and thusly wouldnt be as easy as acceptance.

Why wouldnt HR be under the mind set that people are out to screw them? the first post in this thread that wasnt from the OP said blow off everything I said, get an acceptance letter and screw UPS over.

I completely understand the reasons for transferring, you wont get an arguement from me about there being completely valid reasons. but with 400,000+ employees in thousands and thousands of buildings, but the headache for the union and the company are daunting enough for them to make it a pain to t'fer

Enrollment doesn't always require proof of financial aid but even when it does its not like its hard to get financial aid these days. And just because HR is under the mind set that everyone is out to screw them doesn't mean they should have to make it hard on the rest of us. A transfer shouldn't be a huge deal but some people at UPS just seem to enjoy making things tougher on people than they should be. Luckily my HR wasn't like that.

Pollocknbrown

That would be BS. What if someone is planing on transferring so that they can attend the following semester and are wanting to be settled in BEFORE said semester starts? That is what I did. Maybe they don't want to wait until the last minute. I didn't. Requiring that they are enrolled is ridiculous and only makes it more difficult for the person trying to transfer. Or is that the real agenda? We've had four or five people transfer into my center (including me) and none of us had to wait until the last minute (right after enrolling) to get our transfers approved. We only needed to turn in copies of our acceptance letters and that's how it should be. Man, sometimes I think HR puts these stupid rules in place just to make it hard on people. I know some hubs have a high turnover rate but that doesn't mean they should pull stunts like this to keep people from leaving.

LOL ya, when i finish up C.C. up here in buffalo i plan on attending a school in either TX or OK (wanna go to Texas A&M, grades are good enough but you know how that works). If i wasn't approved for a transfer before having to enroll would be a load of BS, especially considering ill be paying through the nose for not being a resident of texas and going to Texas A&M.

Overpaid Union Thug

LOL ya, when i finish up C.C. up here in buffalo i plan on attending a school in either TX or OK (wanna go to Texas A&M, grades are good enough but you know how that works). If i wasn't approved for a transfer before having to enroll would be a load of BS, especially considering ill be paying through the nose for not being a resident of texas and going to Texas A&M.

Well, let's just hope the hub you are in doesn't have an HR with a hair up their :censored2: and won't require you to wait until right before school starts to approve your transfer. There is another issue that stupid rule can cause. Let's say you've been accepted to the school and want to transfer a month or two in advance. If you are transferring to a small center like I did then you might have to wait for an opening because most of the small centers have low turnovers. If there is an opening when you put in your transfer paperwork and HR wants you to enroll first then you will miss the window of opportunity. It may be weeks or even months before there is another opening. It happens. My center has gone between anywhere from six months to a year without someone quiting several times. .

Pollocknbrown

LOL wow, and ya...the center that is near A&M i can imagine is the smallest thing on the planet, college station is basically just A&M and then barren wastelands....and the center for it is in a town a few miles north of it....

i called the raleigh hub today.
what i'm going to do is "quit" and then just reapply even if it means losing all my senority etc...
but i have to "quit" to get out of the system and back into it.
i cant rent my new apartment without proof of a job and i dont know what else to do.

hopefully things will work out.

Overpaid Union Thug

i called the raleigh hub today.
what i'm going to do is "quit" and then just reapply even if it means losing all my senority etc...
but i have to "quit" to get out of the system and back into it.
i cant rent my new apartment without proof of a job and i dont know what else to do.

hopefully things will work out.

Why are you quitting? If there is an opening in Raleigh (if it's a hub than I'm pretty sure there is) and you are planning on going to school in that area then just show HR the approval letter from the school. If they want more than that then file a grievance. I almost had to do that but my HR didn't require a class schedule or any of that crap. The main HR Rep got in my sup's arse for trying to keep me from transferring. It was hilarious. Don't let them ruin your plans man.

drewed

Shankman
Why are you quitting? If there is an opening in Raleigh (if it's a hub than I'm pretty sure there is) and you are planning on going to school in that area then just show HR the approval letter from the school. If they want more than that then file a grievance. I almost had to do that but my HR didn't require a class schedule or any of that crap. The main HR Rep got in my sup's arse for trying to keep me from transferring. It was hilarious. Don't let them ruin your plans man.

We've been over this before, where in the contract does it say an approval letter shows enrollment in a university?

there could other reasons for it, the incoming center may have blocked the t'fer for whatever reason if memory serves hes wanting to transfer across regions which makes it more difficult.

yeah i'm not going to school, it's for personal reasons only.
i'm sure the raleigh place would love to have me and once i quit ups where i'm at now, i can apply.
the problem i'm running into is trying to get some kind of approval letter to the place i'm trying to rent in raleigh, saying that they will hire me/give me a job when i get down there.
i'm fine with starting over from scratch and losing my raises and senority i just want to move! haha.

Overpaid Union Thug

We've been over this before, where in the contract does it say an approval letter shows enrollment in a university?

there could other reasons for it, the incoming center may have blocked the t'fer for whatever reason if memory serves hes wanting to transfer across regions which makes it more difficult.

Where in the contract does it state that proof of enrollment is required? Yes, we've been over this before but I guess someone wasn't paying attention when i said that sometimes when people transfer they want to get it done in advance. Say....mid semester....so it's impossible to obtain a class schedule, which isn't required per the contract either, at that time. This is where an acceptance letter should be accepted in order for the transfer to be approved.

And no....moving across regions doesn't make it ore difficult. That is unless the HR in Raleigh doesn't have a telephone. I seriously doubt that. I know a guy in Florida that has transferred from Jacksonville to a small center in district, then back to Jacksonville, and then out of region into Alabama. He didn't hit any snags during any of those transfers. He wasn't required to show class schedules or an acceptance letter any of those times. Its not rocket science. It's only as difficult as people make it. If the HR in Raleigh is blocking it but is willing to accept him if he quits first then someone needs to take a hard look at that particular HR. They are in the wrong per the contract. My HR rep was in complete control over my transfer because it from her hub to another building in our district but in this case where it is from region to region the HR rep from one should speak with the HR rep from the other and explain that its an early transfer and common sense should prevail.

Overpaid Union Thug

would not going to college cause ups not to hire for part time package handling? i think thats whats holding my friend up. ??

He is already working at UPS so that is not a factor. And he is trying to transfer for educational purposes per the contract and for any HR to block him is just plain absurd and a violation of the contract.

drewed

Shankman
He is already working at UPS so that is not a factor. And he is trying to transfer for educational purposes per the contract and for any HR to block him is just plain absurd and a violation of the contract.

its not a violation of the contract, no where in the contract does it state enrollment criteria for transfer or how many has to be approved. it just states UPS has to do them, so if they do one technically they are honoring the contract everything else is just gravy.

Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer
Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a
written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following
conditions:
A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.
B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1)
year.
C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.
D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of
holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.
E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the
responsibility of the employee.

Overpaid Union Thug

its not a violation of the contract, no where in the contract does it state criteria for transfer or how many has to be approved. it just states UPS has to do them, so if they do one technically they are honoring the contract everything else is just gravy.

If it doesn't state the criteria for transfers then how can they demand any type of documentation at all? But its funny that you think that because it was not my union steward that suggested grieving my sup's attempt at blocking my transfer. It was the head honcho in our HR department. And what is this "gravy" you speak of? Are you saying that the goal of management and Hr should be to honor the contract on a minimal basis and once that's done then its ok if we are all screwed afterwards? LOL! I hope people in HR and management that think that way are in the minority. Otherwise allot of people are going to get screwed. But then again....that would explain allot of things that I've seen over the years.

drewed

Shankman
If it doesn't state the criteria for transfers then how can they demand any type of documentation at all? But its funny that you think that because it was not my union steward that suggested grieving my sup's attempt at blocking my transfer. It was the head honcho in our HR department. And what is this "gravy" you speak of? Are you saying that the goal of management and Hr should be to honor the contract on a minimal basis and once that's done then its ok if we are all screwed afterwards? LOL! I hope people in HR and management that think that way are in the minority. Otherwise allot of people are going to get screwed. But then again....that would explain allot of things that I've seen over the years.

If they say this is what I need for approval then thats what they need. This part of the contract isnt cut and dry its open to interpretation, centers A, B, and C could all have different criteria they feel they need for approval. Thats the goal of the Union so why wouldnt UPS keep their best interest in mind when enforcing the contract?
Its gravy because anything more than the 1st, isnt covered in the contract so every transfer after that is gravy because its more than the contract states UPS needs to do.