transfer, please help!

Overpaid Union Thug

If they say this is what I need for approval then thats what they need. This part of the contract isnt cut and dry its open to interpretation, centers A, B, and C could all have different criteria they feel they need for approval. Thats the goal of the Union so why wouldnt UPS keep their best interest in mind when enforcing the contract?
Its gravy because anything more than the 1st, isnt covered in the contract so every transfer after that is gravy because its more than the contract states UPS needs to do.

You are missing the point. Stop hiding in the "gray area" and open your eyes and see that what they are doing is wrong. Centers A, B, and C having different criteria? LOL! That is a problem in itself. How about some continuity at UPS? How about doing what right instead of making things as difficult and as complicated for us as possible? If UPS considers screwing over their employees as "keeping their best interest in mind" then I'd hate to see what they'll do when they are really out to screw someone over. Man...I'm glad I only had one person that thinks like you trying to block my transfer. I guess thats why my transfer was virtually "Gravy."

Gravy? LOL! That is one of the silliest things I've heard lately. Do you guys sit around in the office after you've screwed someone over and brag about how everything from that point on will be "gravy"? LOL! I guess that's what kind of management style we can expect at UPS when all it takes to join the part-time supervisor ranks is a later stating that you'd like to be a supervisor. On car sups and building managers that only worked in package operations a negligible amount of time. Or not at all. A CEO that never touched a package unless expect for the ones he's had delivered to his house. Yeah....it explains why asking for a simple transfer, which is "gravy" at FedEx, might as well be the same as asking management to rebuild the Great Wall of China brick by brick.

drewed

Shankman
You are missing the point. Stop hiding in the "gray area" and open your eyes and see that what they are doing is wrong. Centers A, B, and C having different criteria? LOL! That is a problem in itself. How about some continuity at UPS? How about doing what right instead of making things as difficult and as complicated for us as possible? If UPS considers screwing over their employees as "keeping their best interest in mind" then I'd hate to see what they'll do when they are really out to screw someone over.

Gravy? LOL! That is one of the silliest things I've heard lately. Do you guys sit around in the office after you've screwed someone over and brag about how everything from that point on will be "gravy"? LOL! I guess that's what kind of management style we can expect at UPS when all it takes to join the part-time supervisor ranks is a later stating that you'd like to be a supervisor. On car sups and building managers that only worked in package operations a negligible amount of time. Or not at all. A CEO that never touched a package unless expect for the ones he's had delivered to his house. Yeah....it explains why asking for a simple transfer, which is "gravy" at FedEx, might as well be the same as asking management to rebuild the Great Wall of China brick by brick.

Gravy is about as silly as head honcho of hr, if you want to semantics take a look at your own "silliness"

There's no grey area here, I'm stating facts and I've stated my opinion management will work the contract just as much the union does, so if you're going to be petty and bad mouth management maybe you should look in the mirror with your brothers and sisters and see whats wrong with that side of the table; because neither I or the other management people on BC have said anything bad about union workers without being provoked first.

I'll give it to you, you're right there shouldn't have interpretation in the contract but there is so we have to deal with it. The union uses interpretation just as much management does, its an adversarial system so we have to deal with it.

Overpaid Union Thug

Gravy is about as silly as head honcho of hr, if you want to semantics take a look at your own "silliness"

No, your interpreting screwing over the employees you manage as "gravy" is what is silly.

There's no grey area here, I'm stating facts and I've stated my opinion management will work the contract just as much the union does, so if you're going to be petty and bad mouth management maybe you should look in the mirror with your brothers and sisters and see whats wrong with that side of the table; because neither I or the other management people on BC have said anything bad about union workers without being provoked first.

Nice attempt but you will not suck me into that classic attempt at turning this into a management vs. hourly debate. My points here are clearly a jab at those in management that abuse their positions and not those who don't. Your failure to pick up on that makes me wonder about which of those two groups you belong to. I can talk all day about what's wrong with both sides but I'm not. I'm talking about those of you that live in the crack of the contract. The gray areas (the areas "open to interpretation" ) that you use to avoid doing whats right. That is what I'm talking about here. I'm not looking in the mirror for answers because I'm not the problem here. I'm pointing the finger at those that are responsible and trying to help those that are being affected.

I'll give it to you, you're right there shouldn't have interpretation in the contract but there is so we have to deal with it. The union uses interpretation just as much management does, its an adversarial system so we have to deal with it.

If you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem. Doing what is right is part of the solution. Denying a part-timer an education transfer by exploiting loop holes and the lack of defining contract language (as if its needed in order for someone to do the right thing) regarding the specifics of a transfer is nothing short of an example of being part of the problem.

drewed

Shankman
If you're going to talk about management having more stringent criteria for transfer, you have to talk about why they have that criteria (getting an acceptance letter then bailing on school once the transfers complete).

Overpaid Union Thug

If you're going to talk about management having more stringent criteria for transfer, you have to talk about why they have that criteria (getting an acceptance letter then bailing on school once the transfers complete).

If you want criteria on those grounds then why doesn't more HRs follow up on an employee and fire them for dishonesty if they never actually went to school? It wasn't until 7 months later but my HR rep followed up on me. She knew I wasn't going to be in school yet the following semester since I transfered after the spring semester had already started. That was why I wasn't required to show proof of enrollement in the beginning. She even followed up again three semesters later and I wasn't in school at the time but she knew I was one of those people that went to school off and on. She didn't follow up on me that time out of distrust. She was just checking to see how I was doing. You see.....this isn't rocket science. And UPS needs to learn to be a little more trusting and understanding instead of assuming that everyone is out to screw the system.

drewed

Shankman
Trusting and understanding is about as good as its going to get with 400,000 + employees and 15 million packages delivered a day.

Im not saying everyone is out to screw the company, all im saying those few that do (through getting t'fers fraudentally, fake comp claims, stealing) ruin it for the honest people that need t'fers, have real injuries, and do a honest job.

Overpaid Union Thug

Trusting and understanding is about as good as its going to get with 400,000 + employees and 15 million packages delivered a day.

Im not saying everyone is out to screw the company, all im saying those few that do (through getting t'fers fraudentally, fake comp claims, stealing) ruin it for the honest people that need t'fers, have real injuries, and do a honest job.

Stopping the few and discouraging others from following the same path is easy. Following up is the key. It's not hard. Don't deny a transfer and make someone quit and start all over at a new building when all that needs to be done is a little paper work and a follow up. Plain and simple. I know it works because that's how mine was handled.

drewed

Shankman
Stopping the few and discouraging others from following the same path is easy. Following up is the key. It's not hard. Don't deny a transfer and make someone quit and start all over at a new building when all that needs to be done is a little paper work and a follow up. Plain and simple. I know it works because that's how mine was handled.

Ok so maybe youre the exception to the rule? a fluke if you will. it is easy and thats why its done, but who sets the criteria? maybe that should be your mission in life for the next contract get them to set criteria for educational t'fers bc without it, its not grieavabel because theres not violation of the contract

SmithBarney

Just make sure if you quit that your manager/sup puts you in as a "positive rehire status"
or whatever its called, if he/she doesn't you'll most likely never work for UPS again.(unless you get another SSN)

dolceme

Hey man. Feel your pain. This transferring issue needs to be fixed. I have a question for anyone who knows? Are educational transfers for full-time employee as well?

Also I've always heard hardship transfers don't work. They will tell you to quit and they will give you a positive re-hire card. I have never heard of any full-time driver get a hardship transfer.

I think you can blame the union just as much as UPS on these bogus transfer problems. I don't believe UPS values good employees. OR they would do all possible to keep you with the company. This is something we should work hard for -----for year 2013. They should open up the country for transfers if there is an opening at the facility you would like to relocate to. The union always says the want to hear our voices (yeah right) about what we want. Transfers should be SO FRICKIN EASY TO NEGOTIATE.

dolceme

i called the raleigh hub today.
what i'm going to do is "quit" and then just reapply even if it means losing all my senority etc...
but i have to "quit" to get out of the system and back into it.
i cant rent my new apartment without proof of a job and i dont know what else to do.

hopefully things will work out.

Are educational transfers good for full-time employees to

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
On the one hand, transfers seem pretty feasible, in that people with certain issues would be accomodated. On the other hand, suppose everyone wanted to move to the same place. This issue is easily solved. Don't allow transfers. Tell all new hires that this is the case beforehand. Want to work for UPS? Prepare to stay at the same location for the next 20 to life.

Overpaid Union Thug

Ok so maybe youre the exception to the rule? a fluke if you will. it is easy and thats why its done, but who sets the criteria? maybe that should be your mission in life for the next contract get them to set criteria for educational t'fers bc without it, its not grieavabel because theres not violation of the contract

I am not the exception. We have several people at my center that transfered and none of us "cheated the system." I know of a couple of other guys in other areas that transfered as well. None of us were required to show documentation other than an acceptance letter. Maybe the sups in your area need to learn about trust. But I guess its easier to keep on hiding in the gray areas instead of having to make the decision to do whats right.

On the one hand, transfers seem pretty feasible, in that people with certain issues would be accomodated. On the other hand, suppose everyone wanted to move to the same place. This issue is easily solved. Don't allow transfers. Tell all new hires that this is the case beforehand. Want to work for UPS? Prepare to stay at the same location for the next 20 to life.

I've been at UPS over 10 years now and have never seen a situation where everyone wanted to move to the same place. Sure....there is always several people in the nearby hub that wants to move to our center but they either don't act on it or let some supervisor convince them that they can't transfer. If several people want to transfer to the same location then it should either come down to seniority or whoever asked first.

well i got my apartment.
so i'll be seeing you guys in raleigh!
haha
no thanks to ups, but oh well
we tried.
thanks to everyone for the input
i'm greatful for it!
wish me luck!
i might for fed ex ba dump ching *i.e. that was a joke/sarcasm*

haha

take care

There can be complecations of a transfer for full timers. You have pension, Not a problem if you transfer within the same pension fund, but otherwise could be complecated. A transfer would still be under the 6 to 1 outside hire rule and done by a senority so there would never be a problem with everyone wanting to move to the same location. I like to change locations every 8 years or so.

Hey everybody i am new. I work in the airport operation and I am only getting the minimum of 3 hours a day. I was thinking of transferring to a hub which I can get more hours and even an opportunity to double shift. There a 2 hubs where I live. What would I have to sacrifice if I do plan on transferring into a different center? I have close to 8 years of seniority. People been telling me that I we be the last on the list to pick vacation which it doesn't matter to me. I heard that they allow 1 transfer a year. It's not educational purpose but I am doing this for the hours. They are hiring part timers outside so there is work available.

drewed

Shankman
Hey everybody i am new. I work in the airport operation and I am only getting the minimum of 3 hours a day. I was thinking of transferring to a hub which I can get more hours and even an opportunity to double shift. There a 2 hubs where I live. What would I have to sacrifice if I do plan on transferring into a different center? I have close to 8 years of seniority. People been telling me that I we be the last on the list to pick vacation which it doesn't matter to me. I heard that they allow 1 transfer a year. It's not educational purpose but I am doing this for the hours. They are hiring part timers outside so there is work available.

You probably wont get transfered for that reason, since youre getting your guarantee.

with a transfer though, you wont keep your building seniority, so youd be at the bottom of the totem pole for picking vacation and whatnot. youll keep your company seniority so youd keep your bennies and vacation weeks