Transfering from STL to CHI

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hey guys. I've seen this forum before and have read a couple things in the past. Now is my time to actually post.

My questions mainly revolve around transferring from one location to another.

I am currently in St. Louis, MO (coming up on 15 years of service) and I will need a transfer to Chicago, IL due to my wife's career leading us there. My questions:

1. Is it easy to transfer?
I have read that you can only really transfer two ways. One being a spouse something transfer and it's a 1 time move in the company it seems like. So if she moves again I can't ever use that again? I guess? Second, I can transfer due to school. For this, I was told I can sign up for literally bowling up in Chicago and get transferred that way so long as I provide a paid for bill/transcript showing I am truly moving for school. Are these two options easily attainable? Kind of scared if I do the easy route with school that I may not transfer in time for my spouse's move date or it may occur too early and I will either be forced to move without the family or lose my job in St. Louis.

2. How does seniority work if I transfer? As I said before I have nearly 15 years of service currently and I am gaining a 4th week of vacation this year (plus an option week). Will I lose all those vacations when I transfer? Also how does pay work? Let's say I get paid $20/hr now and the minimum for their HUB is $15 do I keep my wage or drop to their starting? I kind of would understand seniority as far as a union standpoint but the vacations and wage would suck to lose.

I'll think of more probably throughout this conversation, but any advice and help would be wonderful. Thanks!
@bteske :
  1. I think there's something in the new L705 contract about non-education transfers, but don't have the book with me; but I think it was geared more towards FT. Education transfer is definitely doable, just follow all there instructions and submit all forms...
  2. You will keep your seniority date for the purposes of pay rate and # of vacation weeks. You're supposed to drop to the bottom of the 'center' seniority list, but chances are pretty good that they'll screw that up, and dovetail your seniority date.
Chicago area (Local 705) locations:
Greater Chicago area hubs/centers listed in a roughly Northwest to Southeast order: Palatine hub, Northbrook hub, O'Hare Airport gateway, Addison hub, Franklin Park hub, Jefferson Street (downtown Chicago) hub, Westmont center, Bedford Park hub, CACH hub, Lockport center, Harvey center.
also, there is at least 1, probably 2 'air counters' in downtown Chicago for Air Walkers (hiring done through the Jefferson St hub).

FYI: L705 PT are in the company's pension plan, not the Local's.

542thruNthru

@bteske :
  1. I think there's something in the new L705 contract about non-education transfers, but don't have the book with me; but I think it was geared more towards FT. Education transfer is definitely doable, just follow all there instructions and submit all forms...
  2. You will keep your seniority date for the purposes of pay rate and # of vacation weeks. You're supposed to drop to the bottom of the 'center' seniority list, but chances are pretty good that they'll screw that up, and dovetail your seniority date.
Chicago area (Local 705) locations:also, there is at least 1, probably 2 'air counters' in downtown Chicago for Air Walkers (hiring done through the Jefferson St hub).

FYI: L705 PT are in the company's pension plan, not the Local's.

Can you transfer into 705 or 710 even if you're outside of their contracts?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Farther out from Chicago you get into Local 710's jurisdiction: Dekalb & Joliet, IL centers; Hammond IN center, or north to Wisconsin

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm no expert but I believe you would have to quit and get rehired. I could be wrong and if I am that language I posted is what you need to know. Also talk with your BA. I know @Brownslave688 tells me he's the Man in 688
yep. and chicago is either 705 or 710 so they are not even under the national contract.

edit: just read he is PT so that should make it doable.

but holy hell the pay raise i would have to get to move from stl to chicago. Well in to 6 figures.lol

Last edited:

Brownslave688

Kind of scared if I do the easy route with school that I may not transfer in time for my spouse's move date or it may occur too early and I will either be forced to move without the family or lose my job in St. Louis.
Just have to do what you have to do man. Wife and I lived apart for 4-5 months when she got her job. That was after living apart for essentially 2.5 years while she was in school.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Brownslave688 said:"yep. and chicago is either 705 or 710 so they are not even under the national contract.

edit: just read he is PT so that should make it doable.

but holy hell the pay raise i would have to get to move from stl to chicago. Well in to 6 figures.lol"
@bteske : pay heed to what Brownslave688 said about the cost of living in the Chicago area, primarily the high cost of housing/property taxes. Do your research and run the numbers.

Staydryitsraining

Hardship transfer or Find a community college. You'll pay out of state tuition. Show receipt to hr. Wait for them to send it to where your transfering hr dept. Move. Drop classes and hope for most of your money back. Those are your only options. Everything transfer is up to the hr dept. If yours actually do they're job you'll be fine.

ibleedbrown

What about a full-time combo employee from Chicago transferring to Phoenix? I hear they are building a new automated center in goodyear and would like to transfer there or the mesa airport expansion. My questions are if I do transfer would I keep my pension? Pay rate would be lower in Phoenix, would I lose my current payrate? I would try for a hardship transfer because my wife has a health condition degenerative disc disease/spinal stenosis
and her doctors are recommending her to move to a warm climate.

542thruNthru

What about a full-time combo employee from Chicago transferring to Phoenix? I hear they are building a new automated center in goodyear and would like to transfer there or the mesa airport expansion. My questions are if I do transfer would I keep my pension? Pay rate would be lower in Phoenix, would I lose my current payrate? I would try for a hardship transfer because my wife has a health condition degenerative disc disease/spinal stenosis
and her doctors are recommending her to move to a warm climate.

Sorry to hear about your wife.

I don't have the 705/710 contract but I know AZ is in the Western Region and because you're FT I don't believe you could transfer. You would have to quick and get rehired.

ibleedbrown

Sorry to hear about your wife.

I don't have the 705/710 contract but I know AZ is in the Western Region and because you're FT I don't believe you could transfer. You would have to quick and get rehired.

Any possibility of that changing with upcoming contract? I was hoping that with those new facilities they would be willing to accept some transfers.

rocket man

Hey guys. I've seen this forum before and have read a couple things in the past. Now is my time to actually post.

My questions mainly revolve around transferring from one location to another.

I am currently in St. Louis, MO (coming up on 15 years of service) and I will need a transfer to Chicago, IL due to my wife's career leading us there. My questions:

1. Is it easy to transfer?
I have read that you can only really transfer two ways. One being a spouse something transfer and it's a 1 time move in the company it seems like. So if she moves again I can't ever use that again? I guess? Second, I can transfer due to school. For this, I was told I can sign up for literally bowling up in Chicago and get transferred that way so long as I provide a paid for bill/transcript showing I am truly moving for school. Are these two options easily attainable? Kind of scared if I do the easy route with school that I may not transfer in time for my spouse's move date or it may occur too early and I will either be forced to move without the family or lose my job in St. Louis.

2. How does seniority work if I transfer? As I said before I have nearly 15 years of service currently and I am gaining a 4th week of vacation this year (plus an option week). Will I lose all those vacations when I transfer? Also how does pay work? Let's say I get paid $20/hr now and the minimum for their HUB is $15 do I keep my wage or drop to their starting? I kind of would understand seniority as far as a union standpoint but the vacations and wage would suck to lose.

I'll think of more probably throughout this conversation, but any advice and help would be wonderful. Thanks!

Brownslave688

Any possibility of that changing with upcoming contract? I was hoping that with those new facilities they would be willing to accept some transfers.
The pensions are the big problem as far as u know. You might be able to quit and get rehired easy with a new facility but you’d likely have pieces of a pension from both locals